Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New or used helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New or used helicopter

is it worth to spend half of the price to get a used helicopter instead of a new one? I am just a beginner. you comment would be great!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flowerfishs
is it worth to spend half of the price to get a used helicopter instead of a new one? I am just a beginner. you comment would be great!
I'm a beginner, too, and I just bought a used helicopter. I think that it's fine, just be careful who you buy from and what kind of condition that it is in -- you don't want to end up with something that needs more fixing than you want!!

Dan
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

I think it's very rare to get a used helicopter that works normally. I bought a used align trex 450 se v2. I found that the main shaft and tail rotor shaft are bent and also the main gear does not spin smooth. I though that is not worth to buy a used helicopter.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by flowerfishs
I think it's very rare to get a used helicopter that works normally. I bought a used align trex 450 se v2. I found that the main shaft and tail rotor shaft are bent and also the main gear does not spin smooth. I though that is not worth to buy a used helicopter.
That's all simple stuff, but you should just ask the seller for a partial refund for the parts if he stated the helicopter to be in running condition. A used helicopter is alright. Just rip the helicopter apart, get a manual, and then build it from there so you KNOW the helicopter's built right.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ill buy a used heli anytime. It's not a bad deal to buy used if you know what you are looking at and what to expect. If you don't then ask someone that does. You can buy new and still have problems with a kit.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

I'm wondering the same thing.
.I'm new to helicopter and want to start right.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Rookie

when you want to buy a used helicopter, it's better to buy a locally and ask the person to fly it and see if make any kind of strange noise or vibration when it starts up. if you don't have any experience at all, don't buy a used helicopter.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by willlig756
Ill buy a used heli anytime. It's not a bad deal to buy used if you know what you are looking at and what to expect. If you don't then ask someone that does. You can buy new and still have problems with a kit.
+1

New or used, you're bound to spend extra money on parts eventually, helicopters are a huge money hole. Expect the worst, and assume you're going to need to fix stuff when you buy used, then pay accordingly.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TedMosby
+1

New or used, you're bound to spend extra money on parts eventually, helicopters are a huge money hole. Expect the worst, and assume you're going to need to fix stuff when you buy used, then pay accordingly.

yeah..that's right. if you want to get into this hobby, you really need to spend time and money on it.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hey

Have you looked at the Mcpx, just had a price drop and really tough
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

If you're new to this hobby i'd start with a 4 channel heli that is easy and cheap to repair.
Better to buy a new one than a used one, most of those helis have had some crashes and if you're new to this you don't want to start repairing things, you want to start flying

i'm a big fan of the Walkera V200D02 or 01 as a starter heli. Not expensive, easy to fly and easy to repair. Lots of parts availible and the heli can easily last you some time before you out grow it.

just google it.

if you want to start out with a collective pitch try looking at a 250 sized to keep things affordable, or a 450 one if you are willing to spend something and have more stability and maybe a faster learning curve.

Good Luck
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Since you are new to heli a used one would be ok you just have to make sure everything is where it should be. I would suggest you buy new. If your new to flying I would not suggest you get a heli bigger than an mcpx. If I was you I would go with a beginner heli maybe something FP. Let just say that if you decide to go with bigger make sure no one is around you. I say this because I have not see anyone new not crash in the first few flights. The bigger the heli the more$$$$$ you spend in repair.

Word of advice learn throttle hold cause it will be your friend when learning to fly heli.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Buy new
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

I just bought a used 120sr and it worked perfect. Half the price of new and with extra batteries and parts. I have a gotten into a habit of buying used as it saves a ton due to the fact of people not sticking with things. Also you can buy an item that someone bought and never used. Many people have 450 helis that they got a full setup for and were scared of crashing so never flew it. You could save a ton on that type of thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I.M.O. i would buy new. that way you have a chance to build it and see how everything goes together. along with a manual and possibly a parts list with the new heli

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.