need help!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default need help!

Hey all,
I wanna buy a new 6 channel radio, i have two radios in mind but don't know which one to get, whether the spectrum dx6i or futaba 6ex. any help would be really appreciated and thanks in advance. + money is not an issue.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Precise
Hey all,
I wanna buy a new 6 channel radio, i have two radios in mind but don't know which one to get, whether the spectrum dx6i or futaba 6ex. any help would be really appreciated and thanks in advance. + money is not an issue.
I really like my dx6i. It's pretty straight forward and Im always learning new features it has that when adjusted correctly really helps flight in both planes and helis. Also there are quite a few aircraft out there that are made by the same main company (Horizon Hobbies) that will bind right to it. Futaba is a super nice radio though. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks Chris.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Is there anybody who tried the futaba and would like to tell me something about it?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

I haven't used either of those specific transmitters, but I have previously owned a Futaba 7C and currently own a Futaba 14MZ. Both have been rock-solid performers. I have never lost a model because of them <<knock on wood>>.

That being said, I agree the Spectrum user interface is easier to understand and follow than Futaba's. It is just plain easier to program and setup your models. It’s so easy, I think I could do it without a manual. Futaba programming is not terribly hardier, just not as intuitive, IMHO. YMMV.

On the downside, there have been several issues with the Spectrum radios and receivers. To my knowledge, the DX6i has been the subject of two recalls. The first one was due to bad batch potentiometers (probably due to a parts vendor problem, not Spectrum) and the second was due to unexpected incompatibilities with their own receivers and a specific subset of DX6is. However, if you are buying new, it may not be a relevant issue.

horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=SPMR6610

I would agree that being compatible with the Bind-n-Fly products is a big plus!!! I have considered buying one just for that reason alone.

In reality, it's kinda a 'coke vs pepsi' decision. I would recommend holding both in your hands and see which one feels better.

Good luck with your decision!

Tim
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

currently a 6ex user... great radio..but difficult to program compared to spektrum...never had a dx6i..but had a dx3s(surface radio) which is very easy to program... i also had a futaba 3pm(surface) which is also difficult to program...only reason i'm sticking with futaba is FASST...i have seen a dx6i (DSMX) user loose control of his plane...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you guys a lot, really appreciate your help. AggieFlyer, Liked your 'coke vs pepsi' example . etivac13 i absolutely agree with you about the difficulty of programming futaba transmitters, i used to use a 3pm for buggy racing, and i will say that i had to check the manual many times. But overall i would say it's a very good radio with a very reasonable price, and believe it or not, i like it more than the 4pks. i think i will go with the spectrum because i never used their electronics, and i hope it turns out to be a good trans.
thanks again guys.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Bind

I to have lost a plane from my radio loosing signal. I really think most of these instances are from a poor bind though. Some of the BNF planes seem to take forever to bind and I think in my case I released the bind lever before the receiver stopped flashing. Just bind it properly and you should be good to go! Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Rookie

sorry, what do you mean by bind? bind what?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Precise
sorry, what do you mean by bind? bind what?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This video demonstrates binding with surface radios, and the process will vary a bit with the various TX/RX combinations, but in a nutshell, binding is the process of getting the transmitter to recognize and communicate with a specific receiver.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

For anyone experiencing problems with the DSMX transmitters;

http://ns.horizonhobby.com/nscontent..._bulletin.html

Spektrum as a product, and as a company, is a work in progress and is constantly changing.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Aha, so that's what binding is. Well, i think that's easy to dooo. I think am ready to go for the DXSi. Thanx for everybody who helped me. i really appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if your going to buy mostly bind and n fly planes/helis then you really can't beat the dx6i and if not than the choice is yours. I personaly like futaba I own a 6ex and the only problem I've ever had is that I ran out of model memory (only 6 models) so I bought a 7c too.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

I will be flying 3d foamyz and jetZ, i think 6 models are enough for me, what about mixes, how many mix i can do with it?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the mixing on the radio is pretty much programing thing and as far as I know for most foamies a 6ch is more than enough. the model memory is just how many different plane the radio hold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.