Wiki Posts
Search

blade mcpx

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Blade MCPx How easy is it.

Hi
I have purchased the blade MCPx with the standard TX Spectrum 4A. I have also seen hundreds of videos all showing it hovering handsfree.
I have not been able to do this, it seems to have a mind of its own. After 4 hours of practise the best I can manage is 15 seconds of flight.
The shop where I bought it is saying its me, but I am not so sure, I am new to helecopters but I am a veteren at planes.#
I am sure that with 3 gyros, it should hover by itself in a no wind situation.
Please can anyone tell me if it is me, or should I start shouting at the shop.
So far I have broken, boom, undercaraig, lost 3 links. I am not happy.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

its you. maybe a sr120 would be a better for you to learn on. Dialing your trim in will help you, but hands off flying of a 3d heli is not really the point.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
4*
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The SR series & coax models will hover hands off shortly in a no wind situation. The Mcpx will not, you have to keep flying it. I have a JR computer TX & a friend gave me some settings that really calmed it down so I am not "chasing" it so much. With the 4CH, you are pretty much locked in.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uknod
Hi
I have purchased the blade MCPx with the standard TX Spectrum 4A. I have also seen hundreds of videos all showing it hovering handsfree.
I have not been able to do this, it seems to have a mind of its own. After 4 hours of practise the best I can manage is 15 seconds of flight.
The shop where I bought it is saying its me, but I am not so sure, I am new to helecopters but I am a veteren at planes.#
I am sure that with 3 gyros, it should hover by itself in a no wind situation.
Please can anyone tell me if it is me, or should I start shouting at the shop.
So far I have broken, boom, undercaraig, lost 3 links. I am not happy.
It probably is you. I bought one recently as my first heli and your 15 seconds of flight about doubles mine. I can't keep it off the wall, the door, the sofa, the TV and the dog is pretty pissed off at me right now too. I managed to get some good air outside but promptly nosed dived on the roof of an apartment.

Not sure if this is good advice but two things that really helped me is I backed off the elevator trim about 20% which helped it from zipping up out of control faster than I can react. Some one advised me to use quick slight adjustments with the right stick and quickly allow it to return to center. Basically just tap it to keep it from changing direction so drastically. It has helped a little.

Also make sure to set it down on a good level surface before plugging in the battery. It needs to level itself out before you start trying to take off.

I got high hopes that in another month or so I can fly this thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not sure if people expect to just pick up a heli and start flipping it like Szabo or what. It DOES take practice, that's why simulators are so popular. You WILL crash ANY heli to begin with. The great thing about a heli like the mcpx is you CAN crash it and it usually keeps going. If you need to repair it, it's very cheap to do so, compared to the 450s or 500s etc., that I've seen some people recommend. "Golly I crashed my mcpx 20 times and I had to replace a $5 set of skids" vs. "My $1500 t-rex 500 tipped over while I was spooling up for the first time and the blades lightly grazed the ground. It wrapped itself into a hairball. I just had to rebuild it, it cost me $300 to do so. Can't wait to try it again!"...I'll be the guy with the mcpx thanks.

I'm sure the guy that works for Horizon is doing a fine job when he says start with a Scout and work your way up through every heli they make, but the truth is, most hobbyists are usually looking to save a buck, and can't afford to do that, and most people that do, usually get bored quickly with the micro coaxials. If you can afford it though, go for it.

You guys make sure to use the weighted blades on your MCPXs

and practice, practice, practice!

Last edited by TedMosby; 11-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recommend loading up on these.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Linkage-Set-8

I always loose a linkage on a nasty crash. They're a pain to find in the grass or on a roof. Definitely worth keeping some spares around.

I also found that if you smack the heli around like I do the bearing in the swash tends to pop out. On the recommendation of another member I put a little CA glue right on the outer part of the bearing using a toothpick. Worked like a charm. I'll probably purchase microheli's aluminum swash when I get a few extra bucks.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also you will eventually destroy the tail boom. Can't complain, mine survived many crashes before it shredded itself. Just look for the tail boom mod on youtube, well worth it and adds some stability when extended about 1cm.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Now relieved

These were great replies guys, thanks, I feel much better about the whole thing now, almost glad, now that I know that eventually I will be able to fly it and it will be me flying it and not a computer.
I have changed the boom for a solid one and extended it 2cm, and that has helped a lot. Also I have a great tip for you lot who keep loosing those links, tie a piece of dental floss between the linkages, that way when it pings off, it is still joined to the heli.
Thanks again for the advice.
So far I broke boom, lost 3 links, lost 1 main drive cog (dont ask) and broke the canopy. Great fun.

Last edited by uknod; 11-27-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Best for learning

Iv been flying for 6 months my first heli was my mcpx took a few batteries but i learnt to hover with out breaking it. i use 1.5 mm carbon rod that is 14cm long for a boom the limit of the tail motor wire length. really want a brushless conversion theres allot of options carbon frames and alloy grips look killa.2 months in i bought a blade 450 its been 4 months since and can tick tock invert just with these 2 helis and there both still really good..
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 AM
H9
Tech Adept

I've been flying my mcpx for about two months now, with very little previous heli experience. I'm flying it confidently now, small rooms or breezy outdoors is not a problem - I'm quite surprised at how well it does cope with wind, but battery life is significantly shortened when doing so! Coped a few scars while learning to fly it, those blades are sharp!

At the stage now where I'm trying to get my head around inverting it and keeping it aloft. Probably easier to practice this on a sim, but where's the fun in that!

Really good heli's, and parts support is excellent (all 3 LHS's stock them). The 'old man' blades are better to use when learning (the ones with the bullets on them), then swap over to the normal blades once you've got the hang of it.

My mate has one as well, last weekend we were both messing around in the backyard. We had two accidental-on-purpose mid-air collisions, and in both cases the only damage was a link half popping off. These things are almost indestructable!

I tried the grommet mod, but it seemed to make mine worse so not sure if I did it wrong or what... put it back to the way it was.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Good work going inverted i can with the 450 but the tail blows out on the mcpx..Iv done the gromet mod seems to work ok. just pop the linkages off the swash and push a mcpx canopy grommets over the 3 balls on the swash all the way down to the base then pop the linkage back on should pop on tighter than before its a slight difference....also its a bit of a obvious one but make sure you drive gear is pushed ALL the way up the main shaft 1mm play will make vibration
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? MCPX V2 Problem

I find when I am increasing the throttle from stand still position as the blades engage, the heli wants to pull hard left. And then it may tilt forward or even right before it rights it self. It takes quite a bit of skill to get it to the point where it's still prior to lift off. Does anyone have any ideas why it would do this. It seems like the gyro is figuring out where it is for a while?

Jack
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Does any one know if the mcpx BL canopies will fit on the mcpx v2??