Wiki Posts
Search

Blade 400 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Blade 400 problems

hey people I am kinda new to Heli but I have had cars for a while... I got the blade 400 and a simulator and practiced most this winter. I have had the Blade out the last few days and have had some major issues... first those servos are crap every time i have a little rough landing some gears strip. second I think my Gyro has a defect I cant seem to put my finger on the problem but its really jerky. And I have adjusted it as close as possible. and as for the driver (Me) I suck. I was doing fantastic on the sim but when its real its a little different... well onto my question I ordered 4 HS65hb's and a GY401... I know its not going to make me suck any less but do you believe the stock realflight stuff is junk? And any tricks to have a good install when this stuff arrives? Thanks in advance.. oh and one more thing how the hell can I drive a buggy backwards and forwards and sometimes upside down (haha) and never get disoriented NEVER. But I cant even hover this thing for more than a few seconds with the nose facing me... I find this discouraging... But I just spent a few hundred more dollars on this thing so ill play with the simulator a while maybe even get a little better... Well if you made it this far thanks for listening to my blabbing.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check out Helifreak.com. They have heli specific threads as well as electronic specific, so you should be able to get first-hand experience on both matters. In addition, there is a heli lesson thread that will provide some lesson plans to help your skills progression.

The 401 and hitec servos you got will be a huge improvement over stock. With those servos you can get gear sets in case you strip them. The carbonite (HBs) that you got might strip easily. They stripped in my 450 with a no power landing on snow. If they do, simply get the metal gear sets. The servo cases are the same for the HB and MGs, but the gears are interchangeable, so no sweat there.

As for your flying, keep practicing on the sim. Keep sim speed to 100% and add some kind of weather effect, since this will keep it as realistic as possible. Start with all of your upright orientations first. Forget about inverted for now. Start with tail-in, nose left/right, then nose-in. Try to keep the hover in the same general area. Seriously, it's boring, but these are the basic skills you need in order not to crash every flight. You can add expo to aileron and elevator around the mid points so that it's not as touchy.

Once you get comfortable with all upright orientations, try slow pirouettes. Then move on to slow, controlled figure 8s tail-in (both directions), Then do figure 8s with the nose pointed in the direction of travel. After that, forward flight will be easy to pick up.

If I don't practice on the sim daily, I lose the feel and find I'm not as smooth when I'm flying the real deal. Helis are a lot of work. That's why I got an rc car, so I can relax and bash around between flights.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to read and write all that.. Very informative. I went to that forum and Will be joining. that model specific section is awesome.
I do continue to practice on the sim but I seem to have hit a plateau. still i will try to push through it.... thankx again for the info
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah the Stock stuff is junk only good thing is the Motor on that heli. i had one and switched out everything besides the motor, some had bad luck with those. But it is a great heli after switch out servos, esc,gyro. Do not let anyone tell you that you need aluminum parts to make it fly good. Check out my youtube channel its this username. i have few videos of my Blade400 on there. I miss mine I hope to get the new blade 450 soon. if the servos and all are good in it otherwise I get another 400 used with better stuff already in it.

best of luck
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Gotta say that my Blade 400 was very inconsistent before I replaced the electronics. Once I got a quality gyro (gy520) and a digital tail servo, most of the inconsistencies were taken care of. I even had to replace the stock ESC with a phoenix one because it would overheat after 3 mins right out of the box. At least now I know that any inconsistencies are in me!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 07d675cm2
hey people I am kinda new to Heli but I have had cars for a while... I got the blade 400 and a simulator and practiced most this winter. I have had the Blade out the last few days and have had some major issues... first those servos are crap every time i have a little rough landing some gears strip. second I think my Gyro has a defect I cant seem to put my finger on the problem but its really jerky. And I have adjusted it as close as possible. and as for the driver (Me) I suck. I was doing fantastic on the sim but when its real its a little different... well onto my question I ordered 4 HS65hb's and a GY401... I know its not going to make me suck any less but do you believe the stock realflight stuff is junk? And any tricks to have a good install when this stuff arrives? Thanks in advance.. oh and one more thing how the hell can I drive a buggy backwards and forwards and sometimes upside down (haha) and never get disoriented NEVER. But I cant even hover this thing for more than a few seconds with the nose facing me... I find this discouraging... But I just spent a few hundred more dollars on this thing so ill play with the simulator a while maybe even get a little better... Well if you made it this far thanks for listening to my blabbing.
put it away and get a beginer to learn on. blade msr or sr120 are good to learn on. My first heli was a 400 it took $400 just to learn to hover the thing.
start out tail in, nose in is the hardest to learn, but when you can hover all four ways tail in, nose in, and sideways then fly around a little. remember rudder is better than aileron for turning aronud.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Blade 400 ESC and Motor....Thermal shutdown

First time post, and love the B400.

About 20 flights in with all factory parts and 4 batteries (1 stock, 3 eflight 2100MAh), I lost 50% head speed, and still full control of all servos, landed.... Spooled back up.... Seamed good...Then about a min in...same thing. Dead Battery? No....Same thing happens with all 4 batts. No smell, but ESC I noticed was very hot (motor was not). Soooo I have now gone from replacing one at a time the following :

ESC (a SS-45)
CNC Aluminum head unit from swash up
Main Shaft (seamed susceptible)
Inspected main bearings, and one way

(now noticed Motor is smoking hot)
Motor (e-flight 440, with factory 10T pinyin, not 11T supplied)
(still hot)
Tail servo (Futaba S9257)
Gyro (Futaba GY401)

Test flight at each change and problem still persists. but now no head loss, just shut down. I took it to a local shop and found they can not determine what might be the problem (lacks electronic skills). They changed some settings to the DX6i in pitch and adjusted the belt it the tail(little tight). Very disappointed!!

So I ask: How would I go about determining if my new Silver Series ESC 45 might be damaged from possibly soldering new battery connections on it from the install. Or might it be from something I overlooked? Please help!!!!! Any feedback would be great. E-flight help says send it in and I might see it in a month. GGggrrrrr

I should add that I would much like the gratification of solving this with fellow tech-ies, instead of sending it off and not learning a thing.

Damien J
Msr, B120, MCPX, B400
Advantage of buying the B400...you will rebuild it!