Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Interested in Blade mSR, doing some research >

Interested in Blade mSR, doing some research

Interested in Blade mSR, doing some research

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Interested in Blade mSR, doing some research

Well I've never actually flown anything radio controlled but I've heard the Blade mCX and mSR are some of the cheapest and best micro helis on the market. Not to mention they are said to be the best trainer fliers as well.

I'm really interested in the mSR because of the scale appearance over the mCX with the dual blades. I've seen a few videos and all of them show that it's not too hard to get the heli from the box to the air in literally minutes. Now what I did see is that even with these 2 models you still have to have some kind of knowledge on how to control them.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get my cards in line so when I can finally get one I'll know exactly what to buy without having to do this research then.

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

if you've never flown a heli then I would recommend the mcx over the msr. Its going to be much easier for you to get the basics down with the mcx and will keep you from getting frustrated right off the bat. I'm not saying that you couldn't fly the msr, I just think the mcx will be easier for you to learn orientation and basic flying. Coax's are just much more stable and easier for a beginner to learn with.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I was asking this same question less than a month ago - mCX or mSR. I chose the mSR and I'm glad I did. I haven't flown an mCX, but I have seen them flown and they seem too easy to fly. I figured I would get bored with that so I purchased an mSR.

Last weekend I took my mSR to a friend's house. Three other guys flied it. One couldn't even get it to hover, but the other two hovered in their first or second battery and were moving it slowly around the room by the end of the night. One of them went on eBay and bought an mSR the next day!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you go with the mcx - get the new mcx2. I don't have one, but I understand they improved it quite a bit over the first one.

I have an MSR and I love it. I have flown it countless hours in my living room and I never come close to getting bored.

If you're starting out - make sure that you start out on low rates on your RTF transmitter (press down the right stick till you hear a beep and the red light on the radio is flashing). This will make it much easier for you to control, especially w/ the MSR which is really fast!!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Depends on what you want to do with it, if all you want to do is
slow indoor flight then a MCX is fine. If you want something more
capable of indoor and outdoor fight than a MSR would be a better
choice.

They are really not difficult to fly, if you can handle a TC at speed then
you have plenty of reflexes to start with a MSR.

Do yourself a favor though and pick up an extra set of landing skids and
a spare pair of blade grips though since they will be the first things to
break until you learn to cut the throttle before impact.

Also look up the tail boom fix.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks everyone. Well my TC is used for VTA so speeds are down considerably but still need some kind of reflex to maintain control. I've been watching a lot of videos on youtube on the MCX/MCX2 and MSR. I'm probably going to get the MCX2 as my trainer heli, I just don't know when. I'll use the MSR as the next step since they both use the same batteries and controller, the MSR would be bought as a BNF kit. I also know that the supplied radio isn't all that great but it does the job. The Spektrum DXi6 would be the best upgrade with more adjustments and control. I eventually want to get into the .30 size helis. Maybe even into planes in the future. Before I bought a bigger heli then the msr I would definately pick up a simulator for my computer.

I probably won't get bored with the MCX2 as I would do a lot of hovering practice, create a small obstacle course, and do some air rescues with a little string and hook setup and some other objects to move from 1 spot to another. I was told the more you practice these manuvers the better your flying will get. I was also told to try and hover the heli 5" off the ground and try to stay in a certain spot because of the turbulance can make hovering quite a pain. I'm actually pretty anxious to get one but it's going to have to wait until I can sell enough crap or save enough money to afford it.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I have both, I started out with the mcx2 and got bored of it pretty fast. It was very stable and easy to fly indoors though. The msr is alot of fun because it gets moving for a little heli. My favorite micro heli is the 120sr. Similar controls to the msr plus it seems a little more stable. You can also fly it outdoors with little wind if you choose. Plus its about the same price as the msr. Definetly get the dx6i so that if you would like to expand to other helis, you dont have to pay for the additional cost of a better remote.