Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Flying tips for newbie  Any help? >

Flying tips for newbie Any help?

Flying tips for newbie Any help?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Questions?? Flying tips for newbie Any help?

I have been running RCs for ahwile and tried boats and looking to get in the air. I attempted with a $40 AirHogs heli(the better one at ToysRus with forward and reverse) and couldnt quite get it. I could get it hovering and go up and down, but thats about it. Everytime I attempted to go forward, back, or to the side it went down. I ended up returning it after a few days of frustration. My hobby shop guy recommended a better heli. Something "Hobby Grade " would be a better choice. Easier to learn with. Well I got a Blade mini CX used from Rc Junkyard. It looks a little better than the Toy heli I attempted. Any flying tips or pointers would be great.
Thanks for any help that you can offer.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Your best bet would be to get a simulator and practice before buying a new heli, or plane. crashes on a sim don't cost anything....lol
Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Learning to fly helis takes a LOT of time. A simulator really helps and can save you a lot of money while learning. I learned to hover, figure 8s, nose-in, etc before I bought my first sim but it would have saved me a TON of money if I bought it sooner

If you are really serious about getting into helis, skip all the cheap ones and go with a nice 450 size heli to learn on. I usually reccomend the Align 450s, but there are some other good kits out there too. Skimping on a kit, electronics, etc will only make it harder getting started. It is an expensive hobby, but it is a lot of fun and very rewarding as you learn. I have seen a lot of guys try to get into the hobby with cheap knock-off stuff or RTFs and I can't think of a single one that stayed in it for more than a year (most didn't last more than a few months). I would also find a local heli club. I belong to Corflyers.net which is an awesome club if you are near central OH. Any heli club you join will be able to help you out much more than you can learn on your own (even with the internet). Having someone that can check over your heli, help you understand the programming and troubleshoot problems at the field is worth every penny it costs to join.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default revell proto max again

I have recomended this one before simply because it is so much fun. the revell proto max fixed pitch is an awsome step up from coaxial helicopters.

Revell also makes plastic models maybe you heard of them.lol that means you could probally get parts for it at the grocery store.lol.

Its very stable and durable. I had over 100 flights on it before i had to replace the ball links that cost me $1.99 then i had it going around 25 mph and i hit a sawhorse while trying to fly under it i cracked the canopy $4.99. and now she is like new,and flies great. I still fly it around the house for fun i blazed through the learning curve because i wasn't afaid to crash. i can fly in any orientation except inverted.

In the box
-fully assembled heli
-2.4 ghz radio
-130 mah lipo battery taped to the underside of the top styrofoam peice
-charger is built into the radio it works great even though it is unconventional
-4 AA batteries to get you flying right away.
for under $100 bucks it is awsome.

I looked seriously at the msr but after looking at the prices of the parts no way. to compare the 5 in 1 mixer board for the msr is $60.00. for the proto max it is $27.00 and i have yet to break it .my buddy who has an msr is on his third mixer board
Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I like my 12o but for learning I say a MSR. You can get parts cheap and fly it in the house. I love mine and she has been through hell and back. I had a 60 size hawk when they came out and was always scared of it removing my head so I went back to the small ones. The flight sim is the best bang for the buck first and for most.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

BUY A SIM SON! I've just got my first heli for christmas. Blade 400 3D. Very advanced, full collective pitch, highly responsive heli. I can hover nose in, nose out, both sides, with easy in a 20' by 20' space, super hard concrete floor below. So many new pilots are so nieve and they go and buy the newest wiz-bang machine, think they can fly it, fricken smack it, put it away in a dark corner and never pick it up again.

The next thing is go to your club, and get hooked up with the buddy cord! If a club isn't doing so hot, and looking for members, they'll gladly get ya trained up so they have more members.

BEFORE YOU FLY! Read the manual that comes with your airplane or heli, if there isn't one, find one, check the aircraft over throughroly, some beginers will crash saying "Oh no! I suck at this" and it turns out there was a mechanical failure. It seems tedious to check servos, rotor heads, blade grips, blades, frame, reading the manual, ETC: but that time spent will cost less then a damaging crash.