Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So did I buy.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default So did I buy.....

Posted earlier seeking advice on "trimming" an eflite blade mcx micro; THANK YOU.

In buying the eflite blade mcx did I buy something to advanced for a 7 yr old? He's an above average boy in coordination and has a lotta try in him, but I don't want him to get frustrated.

Can any of you comment on this, and if I've bought something out of his range, what do you recommend I look for instead of this eflite blade micro?

Thank you.

--Bryant
Old 12-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

If your son can hold the throttle steady then he can hover this one very easily.

http://www.xheli.com/mipasi3chcoi.html
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Simulator maybe....? The mcx is probably a decent choice for him. Just make sure he knows to cut the throttle if it hits the ground. I think your attitude will have the most influence on whether he enjoys it or not. Kids don't like stuff that breaks easily believe it or not, and they seem to lose interest if the item in question needs to be worked on by dad more that it get's used by the kid. The mcx is pretty tough as helis go.

Kids will pick up on dad's stress level incredibly well, and if you're stressed when he's flying, he won't enjoy it. Are you gonna tighten up when he crashes or laugh it off....as if it were fun? Make sure to get a couple of extra batteries so he doesn't get bored during re-chargings, find a big (indoor) area to fly in, give him a modest amount of (fun) instruction, sit back and let him go for it. Properly trimmed, and in good condition, the mcx will hover itself amazingly well, with no cyclic input. Have him try lifting it off the ground a foot or so and then setting it back down (gently) a few times with no cyclic at first then go from there. A little rudder next time, a little forward and back elevator next time, etc.

You might even want to start him with a plane. The parkzone ember2 is incredibly easy to fly (in relatively calm conditions) and is too light to damage itself when it crashes. When trimmed to do so, you can just let go of the sticks and it will pretty much just float gently to the ground (assuming you're high enough off the ground to begin with).

Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

it will be great for him.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Justin Chi has been flying since he was 4 so never think that a little MCX is too much for your boy. Your kid will out-do you in computers by the age of 12 and here's a little video of Justin doing his thing with a 700 nitro bird (largest in the hobby for 3D competitions).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYSpevW79o
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default Young Pilots

The one thing that you are up against with very young children is that piloting skills can take a bit of time to learn, and is that much interesting enough for them? Learning to hover is a challenge, but some kids will simply get bored because "it is not doing anything." I have 2 suggestions:

1. Ornithopters

This Christmas, I watched a couple of young kids in that age range flying the InterActive Toy Company "ifly Series Hawk". They were flown in a fairly large indoor area. The boy was about 7 and he actually got a couple of good flights on his first charge. I say good in that he got the hang of avoiding stalls fairly quickly and was climbing up to around 15' - 20' on a flight. Not bad for the first few minutes at the controls of what was probably his first aircraft. The girl, a bit younger was having a bit more difficulty. I had to leave just when she was taking her first flights, so I do not know how she progressed, but I have a feeling she will probably get a good flight in fairly quickly too.

The nice things about these particular ornithopers are that first, they are slow, and fairly maneuverable, well scaled to indoor flight, though still, in a fairly large room.

The second thing is that the flapping wings give the child something active to watch even when just circling.

2. Helicopter games

Since you already have the helicopter, I can suggest that you try a game like this:

Make a paper doll representing a person who needs to be rescued. Put him in a plastic cup which is held in place somehow, and is surrounded with cushions. Put a loop made of a fairly sticky tape on the top.

I think you can figure out how to use this setup. With a game like this, mastering hovering will have a point. And if it works the way I expect it to work, he will not have to have a perfect hover to have fun with it.