Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
?anybody fly helis inside? >

?anybody fly helis inside?

?anybody fly helis inside?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default ?anybody fly helis inside?

We are an indoor off-road racetrack, and I'm thinking of ways to broaden our customer base to different groups.
A couple of our racers own electric heli's, and we thought it might be fun to have fly-ins.
Our facility is a hair over 10,000s.f. and the ceiling is maybe 30 feet. It's freespan except for steel support beams on only one end.
I'd like to get some feedback on wether this is doable or not. We have electric car practice on Friday nites, and I was thinking I could incorporate the two. Maybe we'd even have some crossover if anybody does both. In the mean time please check out our website (http://www.planetrcraceway.com/default.asp)
Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like you have the room for it. I have flown in a gymnasium (a small church gymnasium) with the Blade line of heli's. Actually had about 15 guys buzzing around, 5 at the most at one time, but it was a blast. I wish I had a shop around here that was able to this. I enjoy flying my R30 but when its cold outside, I stay indoors...LOL

Good luck with it!!

-Nitro
Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

you should hang hula hula hoops from the ceiling and have races with the Heli's
Old 12-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Good suggestion BIGJIM. Actually I'd thought of that, except to put them on sticks and stick them in the dirt. Easier to move or take them out.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 PM

I fly a T-rex, & I think you have plenty of room there. Sounds like fun.

After you hang the hula hoops up let me know, I'll come by and sell rotor blades.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Well now we do have a ProShop for the cars. And that is another reason to get different types of machines in here. More and different varieties of parts in the ProShop.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Rookie

i like the hula hoop idea, could be a really fun challange! Once i get a bit better at flying my heli, i'm going to get some small army guys (those cheap ones you can buy at the dollar store), hook them with some christmas ornimant hangers then try and fly them to a "safe" zone
Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

I thought you were going to say that you'd hang them off the tree and try to send them flying with your rotor blades.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Legend

Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

better yet and safer for the heli would be to have each heli with a 2 ft piece of fishing line with a large hook on the end and little things they have to pick up and deliver to a certain spot then have that challenge timed. Much better than crashing the helis into Hula Hoops IMO and more realistic b/c real helis never fly through big rings where a blade could strike but they are always lifting things with wires below thw choppers. Just some ideas for ya. Sounds like a great way to expand you customer base though. The Blade CX's are sure popular these days and easy to fly. I have a Rotofly and its much harder to fly thn a CX but I can hover and cruise around the house with it. Dogs freakin hate it though
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

That is a great idea. I'm thinking of getting one to start the craze with our racers. Easy is good, but I like to have a challenge.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Coaxial helis, yes. T-rex's, NO!!! lol
Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They do this at the hobby shop i go to, there is a indoor carpet track, and a high roof, so its perfect.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not familiar enough with heli's to know why Coaxial good, T-Rex bad. Unless it's a brand loyalty thing.
Anyway thanks for the continued input people. I think I've got enough confidence to make up a flyer and post some info on our website.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Its not a brand loyalty thing. Its two different types of heli's. Coaxials have two main rotors with no tail rotor. Regular helis have a single main rotor and a tail rotor. The coaxials are much more stable and easier to fly which is why they are better for indoor flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.