Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Arrows hobby pioneer vs hobbyzone sportcub rtf >

Arrows hobby pioneer vs hobbyzone sportcub rtf

Arrows hobby pioneer vs hobbyzone sportcub rtf

Old 01-17-2024, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default Arrows hobby pioneer vs hobbyzone sportcub rtf

Hi guys.

I'm looking to get into rc flight and would like your opinions on these 2 planes.

I race 10th scale touring cars weekly, have played about with drones and cheap 2 channel planes, but would like to try a plane with proper flaps, etc.

I've narrowed it down to the hobbyzone sport cub 2, or the arrows hobby pioneer.

Both planes seem to have similar features, but the sport cub is 1s lipo and the pioneer is 2s.

Both are the same price and available I the UK.

I prefer the idea of the pioneer as its got a bit more weight and 2s will be more powerful I guess.

But alot of people really rate the sport cub, but I don't want to get that, learn to fly and be bored with it in a week or 2. But I also don't want something I smash to smithereens on the first flight.

Has anybody compared these 2?
Old 01-17-2024, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

I didn't compare those two, but I did compare the Pioneer to the UMX Turbo Timber:

https://youtu.be/tYzd52eLEOk
Old 01-18-2024, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Brill, looks to me like the pioneer is a winner.

assuming it's under the 250g weight limit for the UK too?
Old 01-20-2024, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

The Pioneer is very solid.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GBLynden
The Pioneer is very solid.
what's your thoughts on the omp t720?

Old 01-28-2024, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Thought it'd revive this as I bought an opm t720 last week and it's very good.

After a slight hiccup on the first flight (my first flight) crashing it badly and needing to glue the wings back on, it's been brilliant. Such a good park flyer, plenty of power for getting through stronger winds.

I was going to get the pioneer but the 720 was half the price for similar specs other than no landing gear which suits me as i have to land on uncut grass.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hipwell
Thought it'd revive this as I bought an opm t720 last week and it's very good.

After a slight hiccup on the first flight (my first flight) crashing it badly and needing to glue the wings back on, it's been brilliant. Such a good park flyer, plenty of power for getting through stronger winds.

I was going to get the pioneer but the 720 was half the price for similar specs other than no landing gear which suits me as i have to land on uncut grass.

Not to kick a dead horse but I have all three. I only have 4 planes (full size aeroscout) so thought your list was a good coincidence.

The sport cub was my first plane. Great beginner plane but limited ability to fly it outdoors in anything but the calmest weather and the lack of power I don't recommend it anymore vs other planes. Other then it being slow and gentle for a new pilot everything else about it is not great value.

Pioneer....had it for a while now. Great power, maneuverability, remote is good enough, stable, etc....not really anything wrong with the plane other then not really happy about the change that made it not-compliant with other radios. Just ok in the wind. I use this along with the T720 for park-flying. Its probably my most fun plane....if I could use my Radiomaster Boxer like I originally hoped it would be close to perfect for me. I do think current pricing at $170 is overpriced but what isn't these days...

T720 - got that this past summer @ $80 but even at the $99 its a great value - - I wish I could fine another one in the states but I don't think its imported anymore. Great plane at most everything. Could use alittle more power, super durable, best learner that one can grow into, can do a satellite receiver or bind to a 4-in-1 radio, decent at gliding and for its size does very good in the wind. This is what I would recommend to anyone for a 1st time flyer if its available.
Replacing servo's one day will suck as its buried in the fuselage but the design is really cool and I love how it all boxes up into the case. My only recent troubles has been that range has been a limitation. I am probably going to use a remote receiver and see if that improves it.

Last edited by sacmiata; 02-21-2024 at 11:01 AM.