Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
I'm looking to getting into RC planes, any beginner tips and plane recommendations? >

I'm looking to getting into RC planes, any beginner tips and plane recommendations?

I'm looking to getting into RC planes, any beginner tips and plane recommendations?

Old 01-11-2021, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default I'm looking to getting into RC planes, any beginner tips and plane recommendations?

I'm trying to find a decent beginner plane to start off with, One with a camera would be cool or one that can hold my Go Pro camera. I live in a lot of open fields so it would be really cool out here. Any one have any recommendations for something that would be good for what I'm looking for?

I saw some of those small little foam planes, are those worth getting? I do have a lot of space to fly so a small plane would feel underwhelming but if they're that fun I'll consider starting with one.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you have a club in your area? Or will you be strictly flying on your own? A club field with a runway and training program is a great way to start. If so a “stick” or high wing plane will be a great starting place. Look at a Timber, or Carbon Cub (or similar). Some versions come with righting software to correct simple mistakes. If you’re flying on your own from farm fields you’ll probably have to hand launch. The small flat foam board planes are excellent for this and are also great learning tools. You’ll be using all 4 controls and it will survive some pretty nasty crashes. Even if you break it some foam safe CA will get you back in the air in minutes. Balsa planes aren’t as forgiving. You are starting in a great time for RC flight. Electric motors take away the headaches of nitro and eliminate a major cause of beginner crashes (flame outs or “deadsticks”). Powered gliders are also a great option. There are some attractive deals from overseas, particularly for foam based planes. Some people have had good luck with them. My experience has been terrible. They normally ship in the original flimsy box (no protective outer box) and the foam work isn’t always the greatest (warps, miscuts etc). They were receptive to complaints however (Banggood, Alibaba etc). Don’t believe everything you see on Youtube, but its a great place to start your research. Hope that helps. Have fun!
Old 01-11-2021, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tomspayne75 View Post
I'm trying to find a decent beginner plane to start off with, One with a camera would be cool or one that can hold my Go Pro camera. I live in a lot of open fields so it would be really cool out here. Any one have any recommendations for something that would be good for what I'm looking for?

I saw some of those small little foam planes, are those worth getting? I do have a lot of space to fly so a small plane would feel underwhelming but if they're that fun I'll consider starting with one.
Do you know how to fly? If not then you can try learn how to fly using R/C simulator like PHOENIX R/C to learn how to fly via computer.
Tips for your first plane recommended to get a handfull size glider plane with at least 1200mm up to 1400mm wingspan size with dihedral wing tip because at this size it can handle wind better plus could carry GoPro and more docile to control than smaller size twitch planes. Most best platform for beginners are BIXLER or SKY SURFER glider, they are all made from Durable EPO foam.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would get a Timber. I started with an Apprentice, but Timber is way cooler.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CoryRC View Post
I would get a Timber. I started with an Apprentice, but Timber is way cooler.
Why? What does "cooler" have to do with training a new pilot? How does the Timber fly compared to the Apprentice? Is it better for a beginner? How so?

What about the new Apprentice STS with Spectrum AS3X and SAFE? Getting the best Flying training plane is more important than"cooler".......