Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Single Fan Thrust Vectoring VTOL Project - MonoPhan >

Single Fan Thrust Vectoring VTOL Project - MonoPhan

Single Fan Thrust Vectoring VTOL Project - MonoPhan

Old 01-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Single Fan Thrust Vectoring VTOL Project - MonoPhan

I usually use my existing threads for the new stuff that I build/post but this is kind of a new concept that I am testing. The unit is a first in many ways and is a prototype to test my easy VTOL concept, where I want to harness the lift from a wing without “really” transitioning to horizontal flight in terms of conventional controls and flight characteristics, while flying “almost” horizontally I am also looking for a design which will not be sluggish in vertical flight while creating lift in horizontal (or semi horizontal) flight, without folding wings, etc... Below are some videos from last couple of weeks…

This is my first Mono unit with CG this high with a single battery and with carbon fiber thrust vectoring vanes. The first flight was a failure as result of this and the not enough gyro compensation. So, I made some changes to PID, replaced the backbone supporting piece with a 2mm carbon fiber piece for better support and just in case added this small foam board piece to make sure there is some more lateral resistance. The second flight was successful but still not there. You really need to be on the controls to keep the unit off the ground. Higher compensation levels are necessary. Also, I am not sure if I will be getting as long as hover time as I was hoping. But I have other plans for this unit which will hopefully keep it I the air for much longer times.

This turned out to be a completely different animal. The wings placed at the center of gravity didn't seem to help stabilize the unit. Tomorrow new test with higher CLR and a higher gryo compensation levels...

Testing different wing designs which can handle vertical and horizontal flight. The problem is to come up with a wing design that can handle a stable transition to horizontal flight while handling the pitch and roll vertical flight stability with proper level of lateral resistance. The most successful one for transition was the last one, which is a recycled wing from one of my unsuccessful units years ago. It doesn’t compensate for the roll lateral resistance, which I had to manually compensate during the flight. I will work on that piece…

The last video shows the best result so far. The Unit is now capable of transitioning to horizontal. Need to adjust aerodynamics and the tuning further to harness the most possible lift from the wings.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

The design is pretty much finalized. It flies amazingly good vertical and horizontal. Still working on getting the baro respond better. I have three settings programmed in the FC.

1- The first one tilts the unit right above around 10 degrees attack angle, avoiding altitude loss at full stick. In this mode, I will use the throttle for altitude control.

2- The second mode tilts the unit below 10 degrees attack angle. In this mode at full stick, the unit will start losing altitude, which makes it possible to fly it almost like an airplane, adjusting the altitude with pitch. I will extend the tilt angle below 0 degrees depending on flight capabilities.

3- The third mode will not go lower than 25 degrees attack angle and will activate the altitude hold. This will be the economy mode, where I will harness the lift from high attack angle wings and the unit will automatically adjust the throttle down and the lift kicks in and it starts climbing. I will adjust this attack angle to get the best flight time based on testing.

Looking forward to get some onboard videos and post.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

The design is finalized and the test cardboard surfaces are replaced with the new ones. I cannot believe the unit turned out to be such a good flyer. This is just a slow test flight to make sure all new stuff works. The unit loves transitioning to horizontal and speed up. Hopefully, new videos coming soon...

Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

It was a good test after a tough weekend. The yaw was unresponsive in horizontal flight all through weekend. So, I tested some additional surfaces and took off the stabilizer to let the nozzles handle better. Didn’t work. After studying for ours how the nozzles react at lower attack angles, I was able to fix the tuning and realized that I wasn’t piloting the craft correctly.

This video consists successful transitions and long stretches of horizontal flight with maneuvering. The flight is not as smooth as I wanted because of lack of rear stabilizers. So, I will add some new stabilizing surfaces at the back and test the results. I believe the unit will be able to handle attack angles down to minus 10-15 degrees which should be more than enough for some high speed dives. I don’t think the FC is capable of handling anything less than that.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

After working on the final design changes, at last was able to start testing the baro assisted semi-horizontal flight to calculate the increase in efficiency, the reason that I built this unit for. This flight is 100% baro assisted (except take off and landing). I circled around the park without any major throttle intervention and let the unit adjust the throttle, keeping a constant altitude. I calculated around 20-25% increase in the efficiency of the unit. Which is better than nothing, less that I expected. I will test some different attached angles and see if I get anything better. I think I need to cruise with a higher speed that I am currently testing for better efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU6sE19W36M
Old 12-29-2019, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

AT LAST +10 minute EDF VTOL unit!!! Decided to take it out for a longer flight to test the flight time and good thing I did. It used 1693mah for 5:20 minutes, which puts the estimated flight time approximately to 9.5 minutes. When you account for the marginal efficiency improvement over the take off and landing taking less portion of the overall flight, a longer flight will definitely exceed 10 minutes. This proves the design successful... Now need to build a better and lighter unit of the same concept

Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Testing the vertical capabilities of the unit. One thing that I know it cannot do is fly backwards but everything other than that looks good. Tight maneuvers and sideways look successful. I am in the process of building a new improved autonomous unit with arduino support. That may have the capability to fly backwards, too. The significance of this capability is to be able to handle the back wing while hovering. In the current state I always need to face the wind or take it from the side.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

The final flight of the MonoProp prototype. It’s final because I had technical issues during the last 2 flight where I was practicing FPV. I lost the footage of the first flight (my DVR battery died). So the unit will be retired…

This is the second and the last flight from this morning. I took of with visual to make sure the unit operates properly after yesterday’s crash. I did a quick spin and transitioned to hover to put my goggles on. Then I have a couple of minutes of FPV flight at a higher altitude (as I don’t want to hit trees again). Then I transitioned back successfully (first time with the goggles on) and brought the unit down in hover. At this point I wanted to take a couple of more spins with visual but the unit lost power and crash landed. Unfortunately lost the lipo as it detached and hit the prop (DAMN!!! Brand new lipo…)

With this better battery (Zee is better than Ovionics) I am pretty confident I can FPV for 9 minutes. The unit is very controllable in airplane mode and you don’t really need to think about the controls as you can control it with 3 channels (throttle, pitch and roll). It auto balances, etc… It wobbles a little but this unit was always a little wonky, so I can live with that. The only tricky part, transitioning back to hover, can be achieved successfully with being easy on the stick and taking slow, and adding some throttle to compensate for the additional thrust needed for hover.

Now my buddy @Pysbog got in my mind a sub 250g unit. He thinks that I can make the million with that… lol, just joking So, the next MonoProp will be a smaller unit that incorporates all lessons learned with this and the latest watcher unit that I built.

Thank you

Old 01-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

This is the new unit that I built to reduce the weight and get a better hover performance. I used balsa, foam board and reduced the carbon fiber usage significantly but still used it for some reinforcements. The unit came out 70g lighter than the previous one. Not bad!

In this flight, the horizontal didn't go very well. The unit kind of dived and didn't fly in a balanced manner. So, I decided to use the remaining battery for a hover test. The unit can sustain a full vertical flight but still feels under powered. The transitions are spectacularly smooth, and the wings create great lift. I need to make some changes and re-tune to get the horizontal flight going.I am hoping to get well over 10 minutes flight time with this new unit.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

I re-built some parts of the unit due to some build errors. Re-tuned the unit and took it out. A much better flight. There is a little wing flutter when hovering and a little bit of wobble in turns. I'll look into these issues. Other than these the unit performed pretty good. I took off from the ground and transitioned back and forth twice and I wasn't very mindful of the energy savings. Still I only used 1760 mah for this 6 min flight. Which puts the estimated flight time to over 10 min for this particular flight. It's time for a 10min flight test and see how much juice gets left in the battery

Old 01-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

This is the 10 min flight. Still have some minor issues, with flutter and balance. But overall it was a good flight. Used 90% of the battery, which puts the estimated maximum flight time to 11 minutes. Will make a couple of minor changes and try to strengthen the frame a little bit to avoid resonance.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Last two test flights for fine tuning. I re-designed the rear stabilizers in the first and additionally re-tuned the wings in the second flight. Both improvements made a huge difference in the quality of the flight. I think I am pretty close to installing the camera.One last thing that I want to test on this is the negative attack angles. The previous units are not capable of handling that. But this unit has a special wing geometry which may be capable. Hope I don't crash it

Old 02-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Crash compilation for the new sub 250g watcher. Currently the unit is around 300g but It will go below 250g with the new battery. The unit is about to completely give up due to too many crashes during tuning. Last 2 minute of this video is the latest and the best so far. Lots of tuning and fixes. I am hoping that I can complete the tuning on this unit and the next one can be crash free…

Old 02-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Many crashes after slowly getting somewhere. I have no idea how the unit is still surviving…

Old 02-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Got it mostly dialed at last. I cannot believe this unit actually survived this many crashes and still flies. Of course the crashes took their toll on the unit and you can see it flutter and shutter… Made some improvements in the configuration and learned a lot. I will do some further testing for fine tuning. This design and configuration will be the base for the autonomous unit.

It was a tough one…Flight time shows to be around 8-9 minutes which is not a bad time for a tiny VTOL unit like this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.