Wiki Posts
Search

Helicopter Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Helicopter Motors

Hello!

I have one old helicopter that is under "maintenance" more than year and a half probably.

I bought a new battery around half a year ago (One Li-Ion cell 3.7V 2500-3000mAh, forgot what it is right now) and it's not touched since then.

<Open the links manually, for some reason I can't post URLs yet...>

Image 1: ibb.co/kuGKdS
Image 2: ibb.co/errkJS

The main problem is the two 3.7V brushed motors (for the top and bottom propeller, as usual).
The windings (visible from the ventilation openings) are little bit brown / black and it smells like overheated plastic / rubber.
Also the RPM is relatively lower than before and it lifts 5-10 cm from the ground at full throttle.

Image: ibb.co/bBRPCn

This sounds like bad ventilation / cooling or maybe inappropriate ratings on the chinese electronics, who knows...

I've tried replacing them with some chinese alternatives (from eBay, Amazon, AliExpress, etc.) rated at 3.7 to 4.2V I think, 10-20k RPM or something like that. These specifications are obviously not very accurate, but at least I tried to do something.

So it didn't work, but the RPM was a bit higher, the motors were not so hot as the old ones (able to touch) and the helicopter was hovering 10-15 cm higher.
I'm almost sure that the motors aren't designed for this exact helicopter or purpose.

But there's one more thing - The gears must be from copper and pressed onto the shaft, because if I use plastic ones (Like in the RC Toy Cars and etc.) they can slip to the next gear and damage everything. The main rotor gears have very tiny gap between each other.

Image: ibb.co/htQvJS

So if someone have an idea what can I do and where can I find suitable motors with gears for this - share your opinions and suggestions!

*I've done couple hours research in Ebay, AliExpress and GearBest, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, if you can find something in these sites eventually...