Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Receiver problem (Radiolink R12DS) >

Receiver problem (Radiolink R12DS)

Receiver problem (Radiolink R12DS)

Old 12-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Receiver problem (Radiolink R12DS)

Hi all

I have a problem with an R12DS receiver where I have 4 servos connected. 2 are for ailerons, one rudder and one elevon. I'm using a BlHeli 30A ESC with a 2200mah 3s 40-50c Li-Po battery.

I power on the transmitter, then the reciever. Receiver is already bound. All servos working correctly. After a couple of minutes howver, the ESC already feels very hot to touch, then the receiver disconnects from the transmitter out of nowhere and the servos do their thing they do when they aren't getting input from the transmitter.

Needless to say I quickly disconnect the battery. After this I have to re bind the receiver to the transmitter. I tested this a couple of times and it does the same thing every time. My intuition says I need a higher rated ESC but I'd like some input from some more experienced enthusiasts. All help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Considering no one has responded yet i will offer my two cents - although it doesn't look like you have logged in since either!

How is the receiver being powered - from the BEC on the ESC? If so that BEC is pretty weak (1 AMP) for powering 4 servo's.

Also is the ESC hooked up to the ABC poles of the motor correctly.

Both of these items will make an ESC have problems. That ESC is more of a quad copter ESC so I think the BEC might be overloaded.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You'll need to find ESC that have 5A/5V BEC rating. Normal ESC for plane always have 5A/5V on 3S lipo but the case is different for Multirotor ESC where mostly are 1A/5A which i always encounter a lot. There two type of internal BEC in ESC: Linear BEC or Switching BEC/SBEC. Linears BEC are good for multiple ESC + BEC support but affected by the performance of ESC heat or power dropout. SBEC is stable and independent from ESC power flutuation and its supplu steady reliable current, however its RF (Radio Frequency) noisy for FPV and UHF long range radio. SBEC popular among big electric planes. The most reliable brand ESC model and type i use with internal BEC is "TURNIGY PLUSH" or "TURNIGY DLUX" with SBEC while other brand is HOBBYWING SKYWALKER like this one: https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-Skywalker-2-4S-50A-UBEC-Brushless-ESC-With-5V5A-BEC-For-RC-Models-p-1041723.html . The use of Digital servo also is a power/current hungry when compare against standard analog servo. Hope this info helps.