Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
AquaCraft Miss Vegas Overhaul:  Help a boating noob out please? >

AquaCraft Miss Vegas Overhaul: Help a boating noob out please?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wolf16731
  • 1 Post By Ron Olson

AquaCraft Miss Vegas Overhaul: Help a boating noob out please?

Old 08-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default AquaCraft Miss Vegas Overhaul: Help a boating noob out please?

Hello boating world. I am in a bit of a pickle on this one. Let me explain.

A paintballing friend of mine came to me while I was packing up my gear that I had on display at an event out here in South Dakota (would have been playing, but a work injury involving an excavator running over my leg said otherwise). He had this large orange boat in hand and put it on the tailgate of my truck and asked if it was something I could possibly fix up and get back in the water, knowing that I have been in RC for a long time as a racer in the truck class and having a lot of experience with nitro engines.

He said that he had no intention of keeping it for himself. In his words, it was gonna go in the trash anyways and knew that he himself wasn't ever going to use it, so he was giving it to me on the condition that I fix it up so he can see it run again since it used to belong to a friend of his that had committed suicide a couple years back.

Knowing that this boat has a sentimental thing going on in the background with him, I really want to get this thing running and figured I better start getting boat smart.

So what I have found out is that this is an older version of the AquaCraft Miss Vegas RTR. Thank god for stickers . But even I can tell its been rundown from a lack of proper storage but I feel like its salvageable.

The engine feels locked up, so that is going to need some elbow grease and some TLC.. or just a replacement. I'm taking suggestions on that one because I'm not sure what the going trend is with these engines as for a good match in this boat. However, I am deducing that RPM is your friend with these things.

The rear wing support looks snapped, not sure if I should repair or just replace that part. Also noticed that the fuel tank is missing, but it looks like the 180cc fuel tank that Aquacraft offers seems to be the one I want from what I can tell. Radio gear all looks good, but I will most likely swap in a Spektrum receiver for the sake of using my DX3R radio since I use it for everything.

And of course, she is going to need a good cleaning on the interior. Didn't notice any cracks in the hull, so I think she lucked out there as far as hull integrity goes.

If I am missing something or if you guys feel like empowering me with tips/tricks or other worldly knowledge when it comes to these boats, I am all ears. I want to make this girl scream again just so my buddy can experience something that his long missed friend once enjoyed.

Tmroket likes this.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

You could convert it to electric, I don't think it would be to hard.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I could, but I'm a nitro junkie at heart so it's not really an intimidating task to get this running again. Plus it might neuter this thing experience wise when it comes to my buddy.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The boat is still made so parts should be easy.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool boat rebuild

Well start with the motor pull the plug and put nitro fuel or nitro cleaner in the hole and let it sit for a day. (could use light after run oil) motor is probably just gummed up. does the throttle move? Might pull motor and submerge it in fuel another option. You can pull the back plate and see if the motor is gummed up or broke a rod. if it does not move at all it is probably just gummed up.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

I came from running electric and nitro trucks to boats many years ago. I see that it has the updated turn fin, a good thing.
What makes boats a little different from nitro trucks is that you have to run the carb a little richer, try to get it to where there is a slight lag when you rev it. This boat need a toss into the water and once going, keep the speed up until you bring it in close to shore. It'll make good right turns but lefts leave a lot to be desired, it's the nature of the beast.
Use a good fuel made for boats as RC truck fuel doesn't have enough oil in it as we need 20% oil. They love the nitro but for you 20-30% will work well.
AquaCraft makes an aftermarket GrimRacer prop for it which will make it run better and is fairly well sharpened and balanced out of the package.
Tmroket likes this.