Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Want to convert to brushless system >

Want to convert to brushless system

Want to convert to brushless system

Old 09-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Want to convert to brushless system

I have a boat that runs 3 brushed motors on the 3 props. I was looking to convert it to a brushless system. Is there a way to somehow run 3 new brushless motors off 1 ESC?
Or am I better off just taking it all out and just running 1 or 2 motors instead of the 3?
It was only a cheap boat at the time but was thinking of having some fun with it now if it's not gonna cost me lots.
Any ideas or recommendations of what best to do would be great?

Last edited by mini4350; 09-10-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If you are going to spend money on a brushless system you might get a hobby grade boat with one installed.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I see this idea of installing a brushless setup in an old brushed hull, often. Short answer is, yes - with some epoxy, fiberglass or carbon fiber, motor mounts, stuffing tubes and stingers, struts, rudder, water outlets, silicone tubing, etc., you can put a brushless, marine setup in anything. However, as previously mentioned, before going through all that, you will spend less buying a RTR brushless hull that is already balanced and mostly setup (save for some minor strut adjustment). But more importantly, that brushed hull is 99% guaranteed not to handle the speed increase you'll see, which means you'll be really disappointed when the boat won't go 30 seconds without flipping over, after all that work and $ invested.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

no way to run 3 motors off 1 esc.. seen a few posts in other places that show a guy doing this.. you can use a quad copter esc that has 4 out puts.. but i have tried to run 2 motors on my clods with no luck.. followed all the tutorials with no luck.

so id say

no
Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
no way to run 3 motors off 1 esc.. seen a few posts in other places that show a guy doing this.. you can use a quad copter esc that has 4 out puts.. but i have tried to run 2 motors on my clods with no luck.. followed all the tutorials with no luck.

so id say

no
Yeah, no way to effectively run even two brushless motors from one ESC, especially in a boat. The ESC is only supplying current to two of the three motor leads at a time. The third lead is measuring inductance, which is how the ESC keeps track of RPM's & supplies the proper amount of current &, thus, "speed." You give an ESC two motors, & when one of the two experiences dramatic changes in load, the ESC can't keep track of timing or RPM's of each motor, individually. That's why all twin setups have two of everything, and the OP would need three of everything for his brushed to brushless conversion. And, honestly, there's no reason to have more than two motors/props pushing a hull, with the amount of power a single brushless motor is capable of. Three to eight or nine foot hull...doesn't matter...only two motors & props are necessary.