Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Shockwave 36 nitro boat question >

Shockwave 36 nitro boat question

Shockwave 36 nitro boat question

Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shockwave 36 nitro boat question

I just picked up this boat and tring to break motor in and it seems on the dynamite .32 the idle screw doesnt do anything doesnt maker if i take it all the way out or all the way in it does change. Anyone with this boat help i know how to tune nitro motor been running nitro 1/8 for many years just so u know
Old 07-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

The idle speed screw in reality should do nothing but keep the barrel from falling out.
If you can from 1/8th-scale cars then welcome to a new experience as there are a lot of things that I couldn't bring over from nitro cars to boats.
You need to completely be able to shut down the boat from the transmitter and you can't do that if the idle speed screw prevents you from doing that.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

ok thanks anything i should know about this boat anything u can give me advise about things to change or things i should do?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

I've got a few things you can do to make it faster, most are no- to low-cost things. We played with a Thundercat 31 and it's basically the same thing with a different hull.
Get an Octura M-445 or Zippkits 444 prop as they work very well on that boat. We were trying various props from my prop box and that one happened to get us the best speed. That's not saying that it's the best one but worked really well and others since then have run it.
Once it's been run you can port match the exhaust as the hole in the header does not match the exhaust port on the Dynamite .32. Where you see it stained from oil is what you want to remove. A small stack of the cheap Dremel cut-off wheels will do the job, 3 or 4 of them new so they're all the same size. You want to flare it towards the pipe but be careful not to cut through the flange. That little bit of work will help the engine breathe and add a lot more RPM.
You can up the nitro. OK, we're crazy but upped it to 65% but you don't need to go that far. Small nitro engines love the nitro.
The carb sucks as the engine is considered a Sport model, not a racer otherwise it'd have a bigger one on it.
Speaking of carbs, the settings are terrible from the factory, especially the low-speed needle. They have no idea where in the world the boat will end up so they throw a really rough setting on it.
There's probably more but I can't think of them right now.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
I've got a few things you can do to make it faster, most are no- to low-cost things. We played with a Thundercat 31 and it's basically the same thing with a different hull.
Get an Octura M-445 or Zippkits 444 prop as they work very well on that boat. We were trying various props from my prop box and that one happened to get us the best speed. That's not saying that it's the best one but worked really well and others since then have run it.
Once it's been run you can port match the exhaust as the hole in the header does not match the exhaust port on the Dynamite .32. Where you see it stained from oil is what you want to remove. A small stack of the cheap Dremel cut-off wheels will do the job, 3 or 4 of them new so they're all the same size. You want to flare it towards the pipe but be careful not to cut through the flange. That little bit of work will help the engine breathe and add a lot more RPM.
You can up the nitro. OK, we're crazy but upped it to 65% but you don't need to go that far. Small nitro engines love the nitro.
The carb sucks as the engine is considered a Sport model, not a racer otherwise it'd have a bigger one on it.
Speaking of carbs, the settings are terrible from the factory, especially the low-speed needle. They have no idea where in the world the boat will end up so they throw a really rough setting on it.
There's probably more but I can't think of them right now.
Do u have a better setting where the carb should be at? Also I read a lot about the flex shaft breaking and not be any good is this true if so any words of advise?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

I have no idea on the carb settings.
As far as the flex cables go, there are 4 things to watch for. Keep a good 3/16" gap between the strut and drive dog. Keep the cable well-lubed. Watch t see if the stuffing tube is properly aligned with the engine as a lot of them came through bent off to one side. The factory cables also had a problem the the solder holding the prop shaft in place wicking up the cable so it could flex going into the strut.

One more thing. These things went through rudders like crazy from hitting whatever in the water. The bottom bolt should be replaced with a nylon nut and bolt then the top one cracked open just a hair to allow it to swing up after shearing the nylon bolt in case it does hit anything.

Last edited by Ron Olson; 08-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

i have a question the flex shaft broke this weekend like i figure it would because it was stock one witch sounds like junk now i was going to order the prop u said from zippkits and get a flex shaft from them do i just get the one that says 3/16 by 18 and cut it down? also when the old one broke it put a lil hole in that plactis tube the shaft goes in do i have to get a new one of those to or could i still use it or do i need it? Last thing is there any place i can get the zippkit prop sharpen and balance looks like its sharpen but not balance or how hard is it to do?Well thanks for your time and any info u can give me thanks
Old 08-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Most Zippkits props come fairly well balanced and sharpened. I'd advise getting the 444 from him for your boat.
That's probably a Teflon liner in the stuffing tube. Just grease it up for now.
When cutting a flex cable to length, leave enough to where you have a 3/16" gap between the drive dog and strut and do away with any bushings it may have had there.
I'll see if I can find you a link for sharpening and balancing. I use a Top-Flite magnetic prop balancer. It's made mostly for plane props but can do boat props and RC car tires also. It's cheap at $20.00 and better than a lot of the high-dollar ones, almost too good as it's really sensitive.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Here you go. There's links in here that can teach you a lot.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...w-boaters.html
Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

thanks yea i read almost the hole thing now one question i see some stuff about the skid fins being on wrong is this right if so how should they be on if u have a pic that be great?
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, they are. It looks like they placed them at the wrong angle so that the boat would fit in the box better. Why they just didn't put them on and have the owner install them at the proper angle, I don't know as it's so simple.
The turn fins should be square to the bottom of the hull.
Sorry, this is about the only shot that I have to show turn fin angle. That's my "little boy" in the shot.
Attached Thumbnails Shockwave 36 nitro boat question-a5530429-189-100_1787.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Yes, they are. It looks like they placed them at the wrong angle so that the boat would fit in the box better. Why they just didn't put them on and have the owner install them at the proper angle, I don't know as it's so simple.
The turn fins should be square to the bottom of the hull.
Sorry, this is about the only shot that I have to show turn fin angle. That's my "little boy" in the shot.
OK so it should look like this just wanna make sure before I drill holes in the boat
Attached Thumbnails Shockwave 36 nitro boat question-1472056629710580627080.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, that's great right there. It's not an absolute must to do that but it helps.