Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
RC boat motor questions! >

RC boat motor questions!

RC boat motor questions!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC boat motor questions!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new brushless motor for my Thunder Tiger desperado Jr, and I'm quite confused with a few questions. At the moment I'm running a 1900kv motor so if i want a bit more speed something between 2000 - 3000kv should do the trick? Also when buying a motor can I just buy a 1/10 scale brushless motor meant for a truck and use that? Or are there special motors made for boats? Also if I'm buying a steering servo how much torque is recommended for a speed boat like the desperado? Finally the motor in the desperado looks very small, if I'm getting a new motor will it have to be the same size as that one?

Any help and info is greatly appreciated on my questions and queries.

Thanks a lot!
ShadS
Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

A lot if views but no response. I have similar question about using 3800kv cc motor with traxxas w/p esc on 24" proboat.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink Boat info

This place can help you find what motor to use. there is a difference in boat motors and car motors. boat motors have more Torque more poles . Check out this site for choosing your motor.

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/info...at-calculator/

for servo on that size boat any standard size servo with 35-45 in oz of torque should work.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

kv ratings are not a main contributing means for speed, to high of a KV rating will just over load a motor and cause heat, bad for a brushless motor in a boat, not familiar with a desperado boat hull can you state hull size and style? or post a pic? ok I looked it up, Thunder Tiger catamaran hull 27", sweet my advice would be a aquacraft 36/56 brushless motor and a minimum of a 120 amp water cooled esc running a 4 cell lipo that will be a BIG performance up grade in my opinion
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

what kind of motor you want to buy ?
Originally Posted by ShadS View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new brushless motor for my Thunder Tiger desperado Jr, and I'm quite confused with a few questions. At the moment I'm running a 1900kv motor so if i want a bit more speed something between 2000 - 3000kv should do the trick? Also when buying a motor can I just buy a 1/10 scale brushless motor meant for a truck and use that? Or are there special motors made for boats? Also if I'm buying a steering servo how much torque is recommended for a speed boat like the desperado? Finally the motor in the desperado looks very small, if I'm getting a new motor will it have to be the same size as that one?

Thanks a lot!
ShadS
Old 03-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Old thread but....

For a fast electric boat, you want your prop speeds to be 30,000 - 35,000 RPMs. You should start there when selecting the motor. I just did a blog over at RCG on picking a motor for a boat. I am not a pro, but this will get you in the ballpark.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=171915
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Exactly that's what I was going to post. The second huge thing with a boat is prop size and pitch. Without having on board data logging. You just have to do a few laps at full throttle, then bring back in to check temps on the motor and esc. I'm typically a boat guy, and the forum off shore electrics is specifically dedicated to Fe boats try asking questions over there. You might be able to get more info on motor, esc, and prop combinations to get an idea of speed and prop rpm.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Tenshock boat Motor is good.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Dear Shads, I suggest you can find some motor at this website may be suit for you. www.funshobby.com . I purchase from them since i play rc car. good quality and worth it.
Originally Posted by ShadS View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!
ShadS