Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Help with modding >

Help with modding

Help with modding

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help with modding

Last year I bought a Century RC boat with dual motors from Amazon (I don't have enough posts yet to link it). It is a ton of fun for a $42 boat, but my son accidentally broke the antenna off the transmitter.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could wire this boat so I can add a receiver so I can use it with my Spektrum transmitter? Everything is on a single circuit board, so it's not just as easy as replacing the Rx. I wouldn't be above gutting it and installing all new electronics, but the thing is, it doesn't use a rudder. It steers by turning one motor off, so I'm not sure how that works with ESC(s). I realize for $42, it would be less expensive just to buy a new boat, but I like projects like this. I do like the boat, so I wouldn't mind doing a few mods to it.

Does anyone have any tips for an rc boat newb?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

You get what you pay for. When you're in that price range, once something goes bad it's usually headed for the trashcan. Just about everything inside the boat won't be compatable with regular RC gear like your Spektrum. The RX and ESC's most of the time are in one unit. Trying to redo the whole thing would be a lot of work. The additional problem is the "vector thrust" steering.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default repair

the transmitters are pretty common most 27mhz. you may find any transmitter from the same band will work . (Check the Channel there are limited number) I would look on E-bay for someone who crashed their boat but the radio is good. you can probably find a compatable antenna any way.