Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
I'm interested in boating. Any car guys make the transition? >

I'm interested in boating. Any car guys make the transition?

I'm interested in boating. Any car guys make the transition?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default I'm interested in boating. Any car guys make the transition?

My darn R/C interest has peaked again! I hate when that happens, because it's going to cost me a bundle.

I've been racing cars and trucks since the 80's. I got into scale trucks and crawling a few months ago. When I woke up this morning, I realized that I had been dreaming about R/C boats all night. I'm guessing I was dreaming about R/C boats because I had visited my father the previous day and he lives on a large river in Southern Maryland. He has a nice private beach and while I was walking along the river, I thought briefly about how cool a boat might be.

So my question is whether any car/truck guys switched over to boats? Is this something that is best when you have buddies with boats, or will I enjoy running the boat alone? I don't want to invest too much into this boat thing out of fear that I might get bored.

Can boating be as exciting as land based stuff? Any input is appreciated (especially from car guys).
Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The more the better, running by yourself sucks. I left land rc a long time ago, would think about going back to carpet if it was local again. I would not drop it completely to go to boating. If you got batteries already you could get a few proboats and race them with some buddies.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I'm with you, I got real bored. Especially since a boat run is only going to last about 4-5 minutes. They are certainly quick though.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Boats are a blast, but are more fun when you have people to run with. I'm glad to have found a group about a half hour away from me that runs together on Sundays.

That being said, I do occasionally go by myself for a quick test run because I have nice ponds close to the house. I work in the marine industry and I sort of fall into the 'nerd' category because I really enjoy the similarities between the real thing and the RC versions.

I have been involved in RC for 20+ years on and off, and race carpet road course in the winter. But when summer comes, nothing beats spending time on the water. Off road racing is for the birds as far as I'm concerned (too much bashing, trashing, breakage, and cleanup).

I see that you have a crawler, so think of it like this - crawling is fun, but even more fun when there are more guys to go crawling with. Same goes for boats.

I definately think can be as exciting (maybe even more in a race, i've never raced boats so I dont know) but I do know that when my mono is running on the ragged edge I get the same rush as racing my RC F1 car wheel to wheel.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Yup. I did on- and off-road trucks, buggies, pan cars, etc. for many years. My wife and son also raced electric trucks plus I had an electric and nitro truck. Too many kids racing at the local tracks, rich mommies and daddies dropping Junior off with a credit card if they broke anything while they played 19 holes or shopped. My wife wanted me to find something with people more my age so I went boatin' and haven't looked back.
It's always more fun to run with others. My son and daughter-in-law now go to the ponds with me. It's safer also if even you have something happen and run into trouble.
I made the mistake of letting my wife drive one of my boats and instantly lost that one! No big deal as I wanted another one anyway. She liked it much better than racing off-road.
Buy good stuff as the junk out there will disappoint you. Have something handy ot retrieve the boat in case something happens. I found out the hard way that although river water appears calm, it can move quite fast so please don't try to swim after a dead boat! You know that river so I can't comment on that one.
RC boats are and aren't like their full-sized brothers but having experience with the big-un's helps.
So, what are you looking at?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

I did planes, heli, cars/trucks, then boats. Boats and planes are my favorites. Planes are fine when you are alone. The land and water vehicles are way more fun with a crowd. I really like the boats because of the inherent "cleanliness" of the vehicles. They generally stay in nice shape and are easy to maintain.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Been racing off road for years, didn't think I could get real into boats. On a whim I bought one for myself on my birthday a few years ago, bought my second the following day, and by the end of summer I had 5 or 6 LOL. Unfortunately I have nobody to run boats with, so most of my enjoyment is from experimenting and learning. This winter's build will have me getting close to 100 mph.......Still love my off road cars though.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

By chance I started running RC boats this summer. The track I race cars at is a temporary one and the guy was busy with other more important stuff. By chance I came across a RC boating club near me on RC Groups. I went over to check it out one Sunday, met a nice group of guys, running scale boats in a park pond. Long story short, I sold 4 on road cars and now own 6 scale boats. (Still have a couple cars).
We sail mostly tugs, cruisers, work and fishing boats. Yes, the speeds are not adrenaline pumping, but but nothing beats a relaxing couple hours on the pond. We're done by 2pm, so unlike the cars, time is left for other Sunday activities.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not really into the scale ship scene a local club used to host the Great Lakes Scale Ship Regatta about 3 miles down the road from me. I went ot a couple of them and although I'm used to driving much faster boats there were a few things that impressed me. One was at the amount of work and detail that they go through to build them. The other are the narrow courses that they have to run the boats in. The conning event was the most interesting to me, trying to go through the course with having someone telling you were to go while the drivers back is to the water.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I went from RC planes to RC cars to RC boats. The local on-road track switched to Off road. I started building RC sailboats. With a little wind, your run time is until the transmitter batteries start to die. As mentioned, see if there are any local boat clubs. See where the run and check out what people are running. Also, get the biggest boat you can afford and transport. On the water, the boats look really small once they get a little ways away. With RC cars you can just go outside the house and run on the street. With boats, you need to plan a trip to the water. Whichever big boy toy works.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've been in the RC hobby most of my life, I've had an on again, off again obsession with boats. I really like running them, but as others have already stated, running them with others is far more enjoyable. There's a lot of experimentation when it comes to boats - and having others around to share ideas with makes everything much easier. There are a few forums out there that provide valuable information, but it's something different to chase other boats down and put everything in to practice.
The RTR's that are out on the market these days are pretty good - many are good for 30-40 mph out of the box, and they're just a blast to rip up and down the lake kicking up a 6 foot (or larger) rooster tail. Once you get the basics down, look towards building something a little more high end - this is where the "hobby" aspect comes back in to play.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Boats are always fun. You won't be sorrY
Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Like 001 mentioned most of the RTRs are easy right out of the box, just add batteries
that fit the boat per instructions, and ready to go. I have two spartan boats they run on 3s series, they fly. LOL
happy boating
Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Another thing to keep in mind if you end purchasing a good RTR boat, is that there are a lot of tuning options and setup adjustments available if you are into that sort of thing. You can make huge gains in boat performance just by adjusting strut angles (trim), trim tabs, turn fins and it doesn't cost a penny. Then you can get in to props, motors, batteries, bottom blueprinting, etc. Even experienced builders like to tinker with RTR's to see what they are capable of.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

The boat looks nice.
Originally Posted by cartix View Post
By chance I started running RC boats this summer. The track I race cars at is a temporary one and the guy was busy with other more important stuff. By chance I came across a RC boating club near me on RC Groups. I went over to check it out one Sunday, met a nice group of guys, running scale boats in a park pond. Long story short, I sold 4 on road cars and now own 6 scale boats. (Still have a couple cars).
We sail mostly tugs, cruisers, work and fishing boats. Yes, the speeds are not adrenaline pumping, but but nothing beats a relaxing couple hours on the pond. We're done by 2pm, so unlike the cars, time is left for other Sunday activities.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service