Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Rookie builder - ZipKit JAE outrigger >

Rookie builder - ZipKit JAE outrigger

Rookie builder - ZipKit JAE outrigger

Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Rookie builder - ZipKit JAE outrigger

Has anyone built one of these outriggers before? I have never built a boat before, but I am eager to. I have had the kit for about a month now and eager to start just worried I will mess something up from the beginning. Any tips before I get started?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I never but one but I would suggest a clean big work area, not the dining table, read the whole manual a few times, everything you need including parts and tools, plenty of time and have fun. I think zipps dierctions are great. If you do have any questions give them a shoot. Joe is on most of the boating forums, not here I dont think.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Joe has really good instructions so pay close attention to them. His site also has them in color which can help in spots.
They're not that hard to build, just have a FLAT place to assemble it, plenty of weights (I used some old gel-cell batteries) and clamps of all types. The spring steel "paper clips" from a stationery department work great, I got mine at Wal-mart.
Sand off all of the little thingies (I can't remember the technical word for them) when you remove the parts from the wood sheets, that'll keep you busy for a little while.
Make sure that you make left and right sides where you need to like the tub. With the .12 and .21 size you can make the sponsons straighter and for when sanding the nose blocks by putting disposable ink pens like Bic and Write Bros. through the boom tube holes.
It'll go together quickly, so fast that you think that you messed up somewhere. I've built the tub in less than an hour. Save the top sheet for last, I learned my lesson on that one! The main sheet on the front sponsons is probably the toughest part.
You didn't specify which kit you bought, if it's nitro or electric. They're pretty much the same though in most aspects.
I've built 2 of the .12's and a .21. I had the gas version but let Mike Walker build it for me as I didn't want to mess that one up.
Joe is kind of out of the office right now as he's got pneumonia so his wife Stasia is holding down the fort.
There's a picture in here of one of my .12's:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...ts-jae12-2.jpg
Another shot with a comparison between the .12 and the gasser. Yeah, my shop was a mess when I took that first shot.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...ing-12-gas.jpg

Last edited by Ron Olson; 10-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.