Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
best bang for buck electric cat? >

best bang for buck electric cat?

best bang for buck electric cat?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default best bang for buck electric cat?

Ive been looking at boats lately as i have a friend who is desperatly trying to get me to buy one. Im looking at a few pro boats. Ive found a few miss geico 29s and a few blackjack 29s as well. However, i have been seeing the hobby king genesis and ive seen a couple hulls on ebay i thought about getting and adding a motor and esc ect......so im just curious what going to be the best option for me? Ive never ran a boat before either so keep that in mind.
I lost a bidding war on ebay last night for a 1988 miss budweiser hydro too so that could be an option if i could find another one.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

check out the aquacrafts, they have a lot more bang for the buck.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been very pleased with my Aquacraft Lucas Oil catamaran. Excellent fit and finish, quality electronics and hardware. Plug in 2-2S Lipo packs and you're ready to go. I would recommend upgrading the stock prop to at least the one mentioned in the manual for the boat, and consider upgrading the stock flexshaft if you go for an upgraded prop. I picked mine up at the local hobbby store RTR for around $320, added $50 worth of Hobbyking 50C lipo's and you have yourself one serious boat.

They are available on the second-hand market as well, but they seem to hold their value really well so I'd spring for a brand new one with a warranty. AQ has a very good warranty and service.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a proboat miss gieco 24, 29, proboat shockwave 26, hk genesis and a Rhobbies silver fox that I'm still building. And honestly. I run my 24in miss Gieco the most. But it's set up for 6s.. The miss Gieco 29 and the blackjack are worth the money. Small than a genesis but handle way better.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

I looked at those NQD miss budweiser style hydros on ebay, they were pretty cheap so i dug into it a bit but all i could find was that they are made of abs plastic and underpowered. Found a couple people modding them but with 400-450 brushed motors. No mention of brushless. Im wondering if i could stick a large brushless inrunner and 4-6s lipo with a servo driven rudder on that hull and make it fly? Is it even worth it with a plastic hull.
I asked Santa for an AAR 36" cat hull with shafts and rudder for xmas but thats still a long way away lol

Also regarding the NQD boat. I may be able to make moulds and make my own hulls? Would this be a decent design to go with and make a fiberglass hull......or carbon fiber? Id likely go with a single shaft and a big inrunner. Would a boat like that need a fair size rudder? The big model they have is 30" and thats what i would go for. The small ones dont take up enough space. My wife isnt quite mad enough at me yet,things are a little too calm around here.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I wouldn't waste money on the NQD, if you want to get your feet wet with a hydro you can't beat a UL-1, that was my first hydro.http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqua-ul1

A 30"+ cat or a mono might be a better first boat though, they'll tolerate a bit more chop. Any of the common Proboat/AQ RTR would do you well. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Genesis or other long narrow cat for a first boat, just because they don't turn well at all, which means they flip a lot when learning.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a used built hull(as opposed to a RTR offering) on the for sale forums of one of the boat sites like OSE in the link above. Lots of good info on that forum.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Found a miss vegas online. Not sure about the motor but i could convert it to brushless i guess. Something along these lines is gonna be best to learn with?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:19 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

A mono will be the best bet. I guess aquacraft no longer has one.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

The hydro electric version of AquaCraft's Miss Vegas is the UL-1.
Mike "Grimracer" Zaborowski spent 2 years trying to perfect the Lucas Oils Cat.

The Genesis appears to be a fast boat on the straights although very loose at speed but doesn't corner worth a hoot.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NE92iYOB3s

This is a built Zonda that is completely redone. The boat is fast and built to be fast. Meaning that it can handle high speed crashes.