Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
What's a good rc boat for my 10 yr old? >

What's a good rc boat for my 10 yr old?

What's a good rc boat for my 10 yr old?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's a good rc boat for my 10 yr old?

Hey guys I'm new to the rc boat hobby always been into the trucks and bikes but thought I would ask some of you what I could get for my 10 yr old boy. I want to get him something that I can get partsfor, something that is upgradable and something I can eventually make brushless. I will also have a turn or two with it so I would want something with decent speed nothing too slow that he would get bored with. Any suggestions? Looking to spend 100.00 or so. I have looked at the traxxas blast, pro boat mini vs but the mini v almost looks too small. Something of 14" or bigger would be ideal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I would take a look at some aquacraft, I just looked at proboat and they have gotten rid of a few models that would work.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

If you're trying to stay around $100, then I suggest maybe an atomik barbwire, or a joysway super mono. Aquacraft has the gp-1 hydro that looks pretty good as well. Not very many "fast" options out there for around $100. You're going to spend more than a $100, it's inevitable.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

have you heard of the vitality feilun ft009? this is the one i have been looking at.. looks like a fast one for the price and seems to be pretty sweet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTuIVIc6nQ
Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slo_E4 View Post
If you're trying to stay around $100, then I suggest maybe an atomik barbwire, or a joysway super mono. Aquacraft has the gp-1 hydro that looks pretty good as well. Not very many "fast" options out there for around $100. You're going to spend more than a $100, it's inevitable.
i just checked out the ones u mentioned.. wow those are fast man haha.. not bad for the price too.. good deal.. i may have to get one of those for myself haha..
Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Here you go $80, I think its based off the aquacraft hammer.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXYLH5**&P=0
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigdawgsavage View Post
have you heard of the vitality feilun ft009? this is the one i have been looking at.. looks like a fast one for the price and seems to be pretty sweet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTuIVIc6nQ
Yea I've seen those. I had an strx-9 from steerix/atomik. Basically the same thing, little 9 inch deal, for the swimming pool. They're ok, I would go for something a little faster like what I mentioned above, but that's just my opinion. I haven't seen what roadrash linked, that might be a better deal too.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah all of them are really good deals. They all seem to be pretty decent too. I apreciate all the help so far. I havent really been into rcs much lately but my son has been talking about getting a boat so i wanted to find him something decent. Something he will have for a while
Old 06-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Decent, have for a while, fast and $100 don't really go together for boats. Also, 10 yrs old and fast probably aren't the best combination either.

I'd take a good look at the atomik barbwire as previously mentioned. It's already brushless, pretty zippy, easy on batteries, self righting, somewhat upgradeable and would probably be just about perfect for a 10 year-old. But even that's closer to the $150 mark.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ZiG-87 View Post
Decent, have for a while, fast and $100 don't really go together for boats. Also, 10 yrs old and fast probably aren't the best combination either.

I'd take a good look at the atomik barbwire as previously mentioned. It's already brushless, pretty zippy, easy on batteries, self righting, somewhat upgradeable and would probably be just about perfect for a 10 year-old. But even that's closer to the $150 mark.
Lol yeah well I do plan on using it to lol. And the speed or power can always be slowed down with a trigger limiter of some kind as I've had to do that on some brushless RCs with him before. I really like the joysway super mono x, aqua craft go-1 hydro and the atomic barbwire but choice is hard to make lol. I don't mind goin over the 100.00 mark a little though
Old 06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Don't underestimate a 10 year-old. My son was racing (and winning) with RC trucks at age 6. He was racing boats at 12 with a 3rd place in his first race in the .21 nitro outboard tunnel class. Only you can decide if he's ready for any of the above boats or just testing the waters (no pun intended) to see if he has any further interest in it.