Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
More speed for my atomik whiplash >

More speed for my atomik whiplash

More speed for my atomik whiplash

Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default More speed for my atomik whiplash

I have a whiplash running on 4s lipo's. I want to upgrade the motor ESC and prop to get more speed. I have bought turn fins and trim tabs for stability. Is their a set up I can run on 8s lipo's? I would like to get into the 70mph club with this hull if possible. I want to eat Spartans if you know what I mean.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Whiplash

I have a whiplash and installed the vxl3m system in it and it is super fast. Only problem is the thermal shut down on 3s you only get about 30 seconds of run time then have to wait for it to cool off on 2s it is still very fast but only get about a minute and a half before thermal. I have even installed a fan on the esc. The other major problem is the motor mount in the hull is very weak and had started to crack. All though the speed is very fun. But only in a few minute spurts. I fear that if I tried to install a higher amp esc that it would melt the motor and the mount would tear out and the boat would be junk.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufigx0DxiMY

Looks pretty impressive……120 amp esc installed but I would
go with 180amps if you have the space.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._boat_esc.html

Octura prop suggestion..high pitch but read this:

Here is my take, in general. Every hull needs a prop with a large enough diameter to push it efficiently. Too small equals cavitation, and slippage at speed. Too large dia. causes handling issues like prop walk/roll/torque whatever you want to call it. Too small a dia. for your motor, will not load it enough for it to make power. Too large a dia. will overload a motor, and cause large amp draw. Once you find the sweet spot with diameter, for your hull, and electronics, then adding pitch will increase your speed. Too much pitch on certain hulls can also cause cavitation, and too much lift in the transom. I always start out with 4 series props. either the x, or m. The m series, being de-tongued will let the motor spin it a little more easily. It will also decrease lift a bit. The difference in speed between a x445 to a x645 can be very significant. So can the difference in amp draw.

My guess is you will have to adjust/buy new trim tabs and fins for that kind of speed..70+
Along with adjusting the CG…

One good hint I read..was to lay a metal plate beneath the LIPO…for added weight stability.