Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Repairable? Or new Hull Time? >

Repairable? Or new Hull Time?

Repairable? Or new Hull Time?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Repairable? Or new Hull Time?

I am a noob boater first off. Today I was running and lost transmission or for some reason the boat locked on about 75% throttle straight into the rocks. I'm guessing at 30-40 mph.

Is this repairable damage? How would you suggest painting if it is repairable?
Attached Thumbnails Repairable? Or new Hull Time?-image.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

It could be repaired but you would have to get to it from the inside, might be easier just to get a new hull.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I can't tell, is that fiberglass? If so, go to the auto parts store and get a fiberglass repair kits. It comes with resin, glass mat, and a few squeegees. Sand the damage down and overlay the fiberglass mat onto it. Try to keep it as thin as possible. Then soak with the activated resin. Let sit until cured and sand smooth and repaint. Kit used to be about $15 or $20.

In high school I worked in a boat shop lol. We also made those dune buggy bodies that were so popular back in the day.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Is the other side damaged too?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 AM

You could get something like this and just drop your electroincs in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaCraft-RE...item5af950cdfc
Old 03-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it's fiberglass it's definitely repairable. the repair might make it heavier in that area though.

painting it will be a matter of sanding the fiberglass once its hardened. applying body filler to get the perfect finish and then sanding that, then once that is perfect apply primer, sand that a bit with 400 grit or a grey scuff pad sold at auto paint supply stores and apply paint.

I paint and repair motorcycle racing fairings that are built of fiberglass. it's not hard to do. you can go to just about any car parts or home depot etc and buy fiberglass resin and cloth.

repairing that will take a several days and probably $50-60 in materials including paint etc. so a repair might not make sense depending how expensive a new hull is.

if you're really interested in learning how to do fiberglass work check out this site,
http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Learning_Center
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

fiberglass is relatively easy to work with if you know what your doing. It can be a messy nightmare if you don't know what your doing. The hull looks pretty torn up and you will need to clean the rough crunched glass up and create a mold to lay the new glass on. you will need a roller to get bubbles out and then you will need to sand and paint. Might be cheaper if you consider time and expense. I would not attempt that repair if you are not knowledgeable. You have to prep right, mix right, apply right before resin kicks and then you will have to finish it. Also chances are you will create a heavy spot in the hull that will need to be balanced. Of course there are many products and methods that could get you back on the water so my advice would be to check with a fiberglass supply shop and get advice from them.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

I went into the Tower Hobbies site and guess what? No replacement hulls available.
You could always gut the boat and drop everything into some thing like this: http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=258
Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
I went into the Tower Hobbies site and guess what? No replacement hulls available.
You could always gut the boat and drop everything into some thing like this: http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=258
WOW! FLYING FRENCH FRIES!!! Very Cool!!! Looks like a pretty simple, cheap setup to go FAST!