Search

Twin nitro Dumas Scarab (55") Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Twin nitro Dumas Scarab (55") Question

Planning to build my 55" Scarab kit (someday), but I can't decide on how to power it. At first i wanted to go gas, with a 26cc trimmer engine, then changed my mind to go dual brushless, but now I found these .32 Dynamite Marine engines and cant help but wonder if two of these would push that big boat? Not building a racer, just wanting a quick, reliable wave crusher.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...engine-DYN6450

Would these be powerful enough to push this boat to 45 mph? I'd be running two of them.

Thanks for the input! Jeff
Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Those are not that great of motors, they only move a 31 in cat 30 mph. Go with gas you will really enjoy it. Don't go with a string trimmer motor ether. You can get a new zenoah motor for $200, it will last you a long time and should move a boat like that 40 no problem. If you want to watch some gas boats we race them at the county park in Oshkosh.

You could possibley get away with a big nitro but you are looking at some coin, those dynamite motors are good for about paper weights.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Those are not that great of motors, they only move a 31 in cat 30 mph. Go with gas you will really enjoy it. Don't go with a string trimmer motor ether. You can get a new zenoah motor for $200, it will last you a long time and should move a boat like that 40 no problem. If you want to watch some gas boats we race them at the county park in Oshkosh.

You could possibley get away with a big nitro but you are looking at some coin, those dynamite motors are good for about paper weights.
Thanks for the input! I may end up shelving this project for a little while, as I may be purchasing a house soon. I did meet up with Chad and the guys at the pond in Oshkosh over the summer, and ran my FE Revolt and had a blast shooting the breeze. Its such a nice facility and the club members were so nice. Planning on joining IMPBA so I can run with you guys. All I have to run at the moment is the Revolt, but as I have zero boat racing experience it has been a real fun way to get into the sport.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

They do race fe to. Should have asked a few weeks ago, I just sold a motor, I could have gave ya really cheap.