Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat - BATTERY >

Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat - BATTERY

Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat - BATTERY

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat - BATTERY

My son bought the Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat w/Pro Boat 2.4GHz controller. The battery doesn't last more than 5 minutes (and it's fully charged). Is there a better battery that we should upgrade to?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

That's about normal and all you're going to get out of an RC boat.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You could get more run time out of the boat by running a battery with a higher mAh rating. The Impulse 17 comes with a 1200 mAh battery, you could always go with a LiPo pack with a much higher mAh rating, and still keep the weight down. As I doubt the stock esc has LiPo cutoff, you'll just need to monitor the the pack to make certain you don't drop it below 80% capacity. A 7.4v LiPo pack will give you a decent bump in speed, and will have very linear output compared to a NiMh pack. The real issue here is going to be the motor - it's going to get pretty hot, even with water cooling. Boats are notoriously hard on electronic components as it is. The good thing is, 380 brushed motors are inexpensive. I'd just pick up a LiPo (and an inexpensive LiPo charger, if you don't have one), and just monitor your motor, esc, and battery temps. Time your runs, and pull the boat off the water when when it's getting too warm.
At some point, if you stick with fast electric boats, you'll end up with something so fast that you're almost relieved when the run ends after 3 or 4 minutes, lol.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

You need to get a few cycles through that battery to get its most performance.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Yea, a few cycles will get it up to capacity, but boats pull some real juice and I dont see 1200 mAh lasting. My brushless outlaw jr only gets about 6-7 mins outta 3s 2200mAh pack. I would look at zippy flightmax from Hobbyking. You could probably get something like 3800mAh lipo for next to nothing! And I dont see it too much heavier.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Impulse battery life

Originally Posted by oldgrady View Post
My son bought the Pro Boat Impulse 17 Deep-V RTR Boat w/Pro Boat 2.4GHz controller. The battery doesn't last more than 5 minutes (and it's fully charged). Is there a better battery that we should upgrade to?

Thanks
I have an impulse 17, and I had a similar problem. However, you don't need to get a new battery. The battery that comes with the impulse needs to be conditioned to achieve full capacity. I had never heard of such a thing when I ran my Impulse for the first time, and was baffled when I only got 2 to 4 minutes on a charge. The impulse manual does not say anything about conditioning the battery, but there's a page titled "Important Battery Conditioning Addendum" on pro boat's website on the impulse 17's page, by the manual link on the right side. This consists of charging the battery multiple times until it charges longer than 15 minutes, preferably for an hour. I can usually get somewhere around 7-10 minutes out of the battery after conditioning. You shouldn't have to condition the battery frequently, but it is a good thing to do if the battery starts loosing usage length. Note that this doesn't apply to Lithium.

I hope this helps!