Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
I need some help and advise. >

I need some help and advise.

I need some help and advise.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default I need some help and advise.

I'm very into Rc's and have run many off road and onroad and have always ran rc boats here and there. I live in titusville, Fl and need someone that is knowledgeable in the 2 cycle rc boating. I have only owned one 2cycle boat before and now I just bought this boat. And have a lot of concerns about cooling. So here is what I know. This boat hull is 55" and is custom painted and is fiberglass. I believe it was a single motor boat because cover has hole in it for single exhuast. And does not fit with the twin motors. I do have a manual that came with boat. And it is a zenoah manual for g260pu,g260pum,g260pum,g231pum,g231puh.
I want to know why there is no water cooling jacket? And from what I was told is the original owner and builder had the boat all custom painted and installed motors and it has never been put in the water. Now all linkage is hooked up and starts and runs first pull and sounds great. Clutch engages just like it should. Can anyone please give me some info on what to do next. I can be reached at 321208456three text or call I would really like to try this out on the water but I want to know what I have first. And I have no one that knows anything about this. Please feel free to help thanks Rick.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

There should be plenty of air moving across the engines and water cooling might not be necessary. Most motors in the past used to be air cooled. You could put water cooled heads on if you want.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

I was thinking the same thing that from the looks of it air will flow through the motors but all my boats in the past have Allways had water cooling. And I don't want to mess up these motors by not knowing. And I haven't seen a whole lot of air cooled boats so that's mainly my concerns.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM

run it a few min and check temps.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

What temps should this run? I'm used to nitro and electric. And where should I point temp checker on motor for accurate temp check. And I really appreciate any and all advise.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Apparently "Never Listens" doesn't. Switching it over to water-cooled wouldn't be that difficult or expensive. www.gizmomotors.com is right there in Bartow, Florida and has everything you'd need for the conversion.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

That's the first person I called was Bruce at gizmo and he directed me to the mechanic and I agree with the water cooling but I would like to know what hull this is. And if this set up is safe as in handling and right size for hull. and if the manual I have is the right one for the motor and seeing as they are connected is this common with this motor and reliable the more I learn about the motor. I can order the right parts. I'm thinking that I might have to drive it over to them. It's just a couple of hours away. Not to not understand that I agree, but time is not a big thing that I have sometimes. And everyone I've delt with on here has been great. So thought I'd ask for a little info this time. And thank you for the gizmo motors tip. That was who helped me with my last boat. Being 2cycle boat ignorant. Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just take it for a run instead of just showing it off. All will be revealed to you from running it.

Looks good by the way!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Good looking hull but I have no idea who made it. I have an idea though that you'll be cleaning it a lot after running as those cannister mufflers are going to throw a lot of oil on it.
I don't know if Bruce or his sons have a lot of time to work on it as they do have a couple of others that do some of their other grunt work, Dan Place in Fort Lauderdale and Will Nichols.
I've talked to Bruce on the phone and he treats most customers with Southern Gentleman respect but don't piss him off! No, I didn't.
Like Tech Head said, take it out for a run. As long as it's carrying good speed the engines should be good to go, getting plenty of air to keep it cool.
I can barely see it in the shots but the previous owner may have OD'ed on the paint as I saw some on the rudder.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys I ordered everything I think I will need for conversion and also a new rudder set up for dual pick up. But here is a issue that happened yesterday. Boat floats and seemed to handle ok but when I would get cruising and go for more speed on straight aways it would start to lower right end of boat into water and I worry about it digging front end into water so I let off throttle. What is that and how do I fix? Do I add weight to the opposite side?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

That's weird for a Cat to do as I'd expect that more from a V-hulled boat. The usual suspect then is a dull prop but also seeing how you've got a twin-engine setup you may be getting some torque roll.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

I asked about it when ordering parts today and he said torque roll also how do I fix it though. My prop is sharped and balanced. Can you give me a few ideas on possible fixes.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM

put some weight in a noodle and see what happens, I hope you some sort of flotation in the boat.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Gee, I don't know right off-hand. Remove half of the engine?
OK, not funny. The hull appears to be wide enough to handle the power but you've also got a high center of gravity. My guess is that you bought the boat as-is so possibly the builder/previous owner also had problems with the handling so he unloaded it on you.
How about a transom shot, maybe that could give us a clue. How big of a prop are you swinging on it? You might have to try a smaller one to lessen the torque-roll effect.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Here's more pics. The previous owner never got the chance to test on water.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service