R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   RC Boating (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rc-boating-142/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a Spartan (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rc-boating/727519-thinking-about-getting-spartan.html)

SerpentCT4S 05-05-2013 10:59 AM

Thinking about getting a Spartan

With the nice weather coming, me and a friend are thinking about each getting a Spartan.

We are both new to RC boats. We've watched videos and we love the boat!

I have a few questions though before buying:
1 - Does anything need attention out of the box?
2 - What batteries should I run? I already have 2 identical 2s lipos. Do I run them in series or parallel?
3 - I know the boat is plenty fast, but what are some good upgrades? I've read that most people start with adding the aluminum cooling sleeve. What else should I look into?

Hope you guys can help, I might buy the boat tomorrow depending how much info I can look into today.

roadrashracing2 05-06-2013 04:15 PM

My lhs stopped carrying them because they said castle was not warranty systems anymore, if you had a problem you needed to pay the replacement fee. As a past owner, I would stick my money in something else.

.AJ. 05-07-2013 01:28 AM

Agreed, I would look at Proboat Blackjack 29 or Miss Geico 29, they a much better boat and better value for money imo

charlesnitrotek 05-16-2013 12:46 AM

Spartan is a great choice but as you told you are new to then must check out
few models are listed:
Traxxas Blast
Traxxas villain
Traxxas villain EX
These are best for beginners.

badcoupe 05-16-2013 05:20 PM

I wouldn't buy anything traxxas personally

roadrashracing2 05-16-2013 05:53 PM

I had a spartan, and it sucked.

SerpentCT4S 05-17-2013 03:38 AM

So far, so good with the Spartan!

metoo 05-17-2013 06:41 AM

Or, for $210 less than the Spartan RTR with Lipos, you can get a Revolt 30, 4S pack, faster prop and it will be nearly as fast (47ish) and handle WAY better, plus it's much more adjustable. The stock prop is metal, not plastic like the Spartan. If have your own radio system, knock off another $50. I'll be going this route very soon. The revolt is a smaller boat though.

metoo 05-17-2013 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S (Post 12118838)
With the nice weather coming, me and a friend are thinking about each getting a Spartan.

We are both new to RC boats. We've watched videos and we love the boat!

I have a few questions though before buying:
1 - Does anything need attention out of the box?
2 - What batteries should I run? I already have 2 identical 2s lipos. Do I run them in series or parallel?
3 - I know the boat is plenty fast, but what are some good upgrades? I've read that most people start with adding the aluminum cooling sleeve. What else should I look into?

Hope you guys can help, I might buy the boat tomorrow depending how much info I can look into today.

Oops. I didn't fully grasp your original post. It seems you're dead set set on the Spartan and just wanna know about it, not potentially better boats for the money. So:

1) I would only be guessing here, but I would assume people would ditch the plastic prop for a balanced and sharpened metal prop. I wouldn't call this an necessity, but a strong first upgrade.
2) Just saying 2S is not enough. What capacity and discharge rate are they? You would want to run a minimum 25C 5000mah setup. If you go with less capacity, you'll need to go with a higher discharge rate. Series doubles the voltage shown on one battery pack. Parallel doubles the capacity shown on one pack. The over priced Spartan that come with Lipos comes with two 3S packs to run in series, so if you run your 2S packs it would be like watching a pig swim. two 2s packs is plenty for a Revolt though :D
3) Check threads on the Traxxas forum or Offshoreelectrics for upgrade ideas. One thing you'd need to get if you do not already have one is a good charger. The Spartan comes with 2 chargers, but they are likely very slow, have no readouts, and no versatility.

98NYFINESTVETTE 05-18-2013 11:39 PM

Great thread. I was ready to drop a big amount on the Traxxas until MeToo suggested the Revolt 30. I have been reading up on it, watching videos and reviews on YouTube.
Looks like the Revolt will be it for me unless I find something else.

I have to say, I own about 7 or 8 Traxxas vehicles and I am extremely happy. That is why I was considering the Sparten. Watching the videos of it impressed me. I am sure there is something else out there that would be compatible but you cannot go wrong for $199 for the Revolt (not including a radio & receiver) - $249 with radio and receiver.
The thread opened my eyes to other boats/models. Thanks
I also just received the Miss Geico 24 the other day. Awesome for the price, need to replace the motor. LOL
The only RC I bought that I never replaced the motor was my XO-1. :)

PS: I was also looking at the Impulse 31. Decisions?

metoo 05-19-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE (Post 12166919)

I have to say, I own about 7 or 8 Traxxas vehicles and I am extremely happy. That is why I was considering the Sparten. Watching the videos of it impressed me. I am sure there is something else out there that would be compatible but you cannot go wrong for $199 for the Revolt (not including a radio & receiver) - $249 with radio and receiver.

Search Youtube for Revolt M545. You'll see videos of an otherwise stock Revolt with a Octura M545 prop on 4S. This combo is plenty speed for most people. It has been suggested to replace the stock drive shaft/cable with one from offshoreelectrics.

I have 4 Traxxas vehicles myself, but I'm not loyal to any brand of anything. I take everything on a case by case basis. Right now the Revolt RxR is $185 shipped on Omnimodels and $235 with radio.

98NYFINESTVETTE 05-19-2013 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 12168226)
Search Youtube for Revolt M545. You'll see videos of an otherwise stock Revolt with a Octura M545 prop on 4S. This combo is plenty speed for most people. It has been suggested to replace the stock drive shaft/cable with one from offshoreelectrics.

I have 4 Traxxas vehicles myself, but I'm not loyal to any brand of anything. I take everything on a case by case basis. Right now the Revolt RxR is $185 shipped on Omnimodels and $235 with radio.

I am able to get the $199 for $174 & $219 for the $249 model at tower with a coupon code. Free shipping over $99. I watched a few videos and saw that the ideal prop is 45x68. I have two SC10 4x4's that I race with other brand vehicles. I have never had a problem and have been very happy with the Traxxas products I own. I will look up the Octura M545 prop and see how it performs.

Just watched a video with that prop on the Revolt. WOW!!!! Huge difference.
Thanks again