Search

BlackJack 26 SS Nitro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default BlackJack 26 SS Nitro

Hey guys I just picked up a really nice bj26 ss nitro and was wondering if there are any tips or anything I should do to it before taking it to the lake. So far it is all stock with the stock .18 motor that has great compression. I have taken off all the stickers and made it black/white/red scheme and it looks great. I have noticed that there are 3 holes on the lid that are open and wondering if I should plug them or not.

I haven't ran it yet or started it because I need to go get fuel, glow igniter, new glow plugs, and a rx/tx, fail safe.

So is there anything else I should get for it or is that a pretty good start for my first boat?

I also have a airtronics mx3-x radio and was wondering if I can use it on the boat. I read on hobby people that it says its for car, trucks, and can be used in boats but want to be positive it can be.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't forget the marine grease. As important as charging your batteries. Grease the drive shaft every hour of run time or every time you go out whichever comes first.

Retrieval system whether is a fishing poll with a tennis ball on the end (add a small treble hook about 6 inches down from the ball), a raft, a floaty, or whatever JUST DON'T SWIM FOR IT, its not worth your life.

Yes you can use that TX/RX in the boat make sure you balloon the receiver to keep it dry.

Also suggest getting it to run before you go to the lake, nothing is more frustrating than getting to the pond and have a boat that does not run. Don't run the boat out of water for more than about a minute, it requires water to cool the engine down unlike the fins on a car motor.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vette66_00
Don't forget the marine grease. As important as charging your batteries. Grease the drive shaft every hour of run time or every time you go out whichever comes first.

Yes you can use that TX/RX in the boat make sure you balloon the receiver to keep it dry.
Awesome! I have marine grease that I buy for my jet ski so I can use that. I need to get a rx battery. I will put my rx in a balloon for sure since I don't want it messed up.

Is there a aftermarket header or pipe for this boat or any other upgrades?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

sorry I add a little bit more to the above post. lol

Yes you can use the same grease.

I don't know anything about that boat but do a little searching on the boat name. Check out http://www.intlwaters.com/ for more info. Headers and pipes are usually available for most motors, you should be able to find something out there for it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

sorry I add a little bit more to the above post. lol

Yes you can use the same grease.

I don't know anything about that boat but do a little searching on the boat name. Check out http://www.intlwaters.com/ for more info. Headers and pipes are usually available for most motors, you should be able to find something out there for it.
Cool! I am mainly taking it out when I take out my jet ski so I have something to do in between riding that. So my ski can be my recovery raft lol. I will get a small blow up raft later so I can go out without the ski.

I signed up for that site yesterday and I am waiting for the admin to approve my account.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Also forgot to ask if there is a certain type of fuel to run. I am seeing nitro for boats and then for cars. I am not a nitro newb since I have ran 8th truggy and buggy before but it just caught me by surprise to see boat or car fuel when searching
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

same fuel as a buggy will be fine, as long as its not airplane fuel.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
same fuel as a buggy will be fine, as long as its not airplane fuel.
Sweet thanks! I was thinking the same thing lol. What brand would be best or what oil content should it have? 12% or 8%. In the manual it says 20% Blue Thunder fuel is recommended
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I would say any 20% car fuel would work.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Cool I will see what my LHS carries. I think they have byrons and odonnell fuel maybe another but not to sure
Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Would trim tabs help this boat at all or would that just be a waist to put on it? I saw that a lot of deep V boats and cats have them
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Fuel in a boat motor I always use no less than 18%, the reason is that in a boat you are running the thing full boar 95% of the time, this will ensure the bearings will keep oil on them. Also since you are running in water temps, when properly tuned, allows you to use higher nitro content. Currently I run a 45% nitro 18% koltz 95/5 synthetic blend. Stock and Modified engines both. Noticeable out of the hole and maintaining speed in corners.

Originally Posted by carcrazy699
Would trim tabs help this boat at all or would that just be a waist to put on it? I saw that a lot of deep V boats and cats have them
You will have to see how it runs. If its smooth on the water no need, if it slaps the water also know as porpoising, it could use some. This is of course in a straight line run. If it has a tendency to skip in turns, you would need to look into small turn fins on the sides in back.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Fuel in a boat motor I always use no less than 18%, the reason is that in a boat you are running the thing full boar 95% of the time, this will ensure the bearings will keep oil on them. Also since you are running in water temps, when properly tuned, allows you to use higher nitro content. Currently I run a 45% nitro 18% koltz 95/5 synthetic blend. Stock and Modified engines both. Noticeable out of the hole and maintaining speed in corners.

You will have to see how it runs. If its smooth on the water no need, if it slaps the water also know as porpoising, it could use some. This is of course in a straight line run. If it has a tendency to skip in turns, you would need to look into small turn fins on the sides in back.

Sweet I will see what kind of nitro the shop carries out here. I just wanted to make sure I get the right nitro for the boat.

The boat came with the turn fins and I am going to try it with and without them on. I will also watch to see how it is on the water before getting the tabs.

If it needs the tabs where can I get some adjustable ones at?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Cats don't use trim tabs, most of the adjusting is done with the strut angle. No other hardware should be necessarily for the boat, read the manual, it should have setup tips for that model. It can be found at proboatmodels.com.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Cats don't use trim tabs, most of the adjusting is done with the strut angle. No other hardware should be necessarily for the boat, read the manual, it should have setup tips for that model. It can be found at proboatmodels.com.
Thanks roadrash!

I am needing a new header since the pressure fitting is stripping out.

I was looking at this header
http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ductid=MAC2043

I was also looking at this tuned pipe to get
http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ductid=MAC1110

Then I was going to drill into the pipe and put the pressure fitting into that instead of the manifold.

If there is any place to get these parts cheaper let me know!