Search

new to boats -- having trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default new to boats -- having trouble

I just picked up a supervee27 - used. I took it out yesterday and it just bogged down at about 5mph with the tip up at a 30degree angle and the back of the boat was pretty far down. could not get it to even come close to planing. What should I check first. Since is used not sure if the motor or esc could be underpowered. It has a three blade metal prop. I was running 2 six cell pack with full charge. I noticed when i turn the prop with my hand (boat off) it is very tight to turn then pops a rotation of the blade, is that normail to be wound up like that. Any input helps

Thanks

Aggieboy
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aggieboy
I just picked up a supervee27 - used. I took it out yesterday and it just bogged down at about 5mph with the tip up at a 30degree angle and the back of the boat was pretty far down. could not get it to even come close to planing. What should I check first. Since is used not sure if the motor or esc could be underpowered. It has a three blade metal prop. I was running 2 six cell pack with full charge. I noticed when i turn the prop with my hand (boat off) it is very tight to turn then pops a rotation of the blade, is that normail to be wound up like that. Any input helps

Thanks

Aggieboy
Its not a good sign. What size prop is it to start, if its too big you will draw too much current and cook the ESC.

How many Volts are you running and what kv is the motor and what ESC is inside.

Ensure the drive line is greased and not ceased. You must grease for every outing and remove driveline and clean when you get home.

Post some pics
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

Thanks - The esc and motor are the stock electronics for the sv27, I was running 14.4V (2 6cell packs). The prop is a metal 3 blade ...how can I measure it to get the size. I only ran it like 45 seconds. Is there a link or site that I can see how to remove/grease the drive shaft? Or is it strait forward, remove grease and reinstall? Once I remove the drives shaft, I would assume the motor should spin completely free since it is brushless. I will send some pictures to night.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default pulled the motor

Well,,I pulled the motor out and it is locked up. I need to replace it. Any suggestions on new motor? I currently have nimh (4200) 6 cell packs and the stock esc. I would like to upgrade esc and go to lipos in future. I don't race....just play in the pond.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Look at that same problem as mine ain't that something. Well part of the hobby huh.