Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat! >

Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!

Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

We ran Impulse 26's yesterday at the Indy Admirals Indoor Fun Run at Carmel High School. Had a great time! The let us have the high school pool for 3 hours once a month this winter.

I ran mine stock but with new Traxxas 3000mah 7-cell packs. Does just great! They barely fix crossways, but they do fit!

Another buddy, Dave, has taken his stock motor/ESC out and replaced it with a Traxxas Venolin (sp?) system. Brushless. Unbelievable speed.

Here's his solution to the hatch latch problem. My magnets don't meet well enough to latch either, so I am going to do the same.

I'm sorry I didn't get a photo with the hatch off. Basically, he drilled out the spot for the magnet. Put a nylon bolt up through from the underside of the deck. Then, tightened that off with a nylon nut that you can't see. When you place your latch on top, then he thumb tightens the nut on that you do see. Works perfect. And with his brushless motor/speed control combo, boy does he need it to keep that canopy on!

Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-hatchfix.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-carmelindoorfunrunjan2012-005r.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 02-22-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I also tried a plastic prop from Pro Boat as well. I did get slightly better performance out of the boat with this prop. I'd still use the S/S one for areas where you have weeds, etc. But for where I was, it was open water and clean. So, perfect for the PRB0151 Prop. Its 1.6" x 2.5" composite the label says.

I stuffed the boat into a large wave off of a passing pontoon boat. The top came off and the tupperware lid did as well. So, she was about half full of water! I popped the drain plug and carefully opened the RX so that it could air dry. The ESC is sealed. No problem and ready to run again.

A close up of the connector between the shaft and motor. Works just fine.
Have any idea what size that motor/drive shaft connector is? I have a traxxas blast and keep destroying that junk plastick thing they connect the motor to the drive shaft with.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

I do not know,but I will try to get a measurment for you. I've been very happy with my whole set up.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Thankyou!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a few more photos of Dave's Impulse with the TRAXXAS Brushless System in it!

It literally vaporizes water! What a beast!

The second photo shows how he added a block of foam to the underside of the top hatch. Its just the right thickness to PUSH the lower hatch down. Makes a BIG difference he said on helping to keep water out. That Dave...he is one smart dude!

To determine the right thickness of foam, he took a ball of clay and laid it on top of the transparent hatch. Then, he placed the top hatch on and squished it down to the normal level. When he removed the hatch, he had the desired thickness via the squished clay ball! Another smart thing!

He also spent a lot of time making sure his motor lined up with the shaft. Of the four I looked at at the hobby shop, FOUR were not lined up properly. That will cause friction which will slow you down and maybe wear your drive shaft components quicker too despite the Teflon.

Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-davemcctraxxassystem-.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-davemcchatchfix.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

This is my Impulse now NAKED!!!!

I'm going to airbrush the top deck and sides. The decals from the factory were fine, but I can't leave well-enough alone. I like to airbrush R/C cars, so I'm going to have some fun with this!

Here's some bodies I've done: http://www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html

Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-impulse26naked.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how fast do these go?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

They are not skipping off the water like the SuperVee or Impulse brushless, but they are quite respectable. I run the 8.4 volt packs and that gives mine some extra punch.

I couldn't leave well enough along of course, so I'm turning my Impulse into one of the LUCAS OIL Superboats. I masked it up over the weekend and got the red paint down. Looking good! More photos soon.
Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-impulseredpaint-009r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-impulseredpaint-011r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-20080914_vigospain_boat_dsc7058-sm.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-kw08_3741ol_jaynichols-small800.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Ready to hit the water! I like the way it turned out. Very much an improvement over stock look.

I cut the "LUCAS OIL" lettering out by hand. That took a while. The rest of the graphics are decals.

Sorry about the backdrop in the photos. Its February so that's the best I can do for now!

Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse26-001r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse26-005r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse26-009r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse26-010r.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

That looks sweet!

Your friend that has the Velineon swap done. Does the boat handle the extra power well? How fast do you think it made it?

Im really curious since I am really liking that motor esc setup.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by izcain
That looks sweet!

Your friend that has the Velineon swap done. Does the boat handle the extra power well? How fast do you think it made it?

Im really curious since I am really liking that motor esc setup.
The only time he's been able to run it this winter was in the H.S. swimming pool. He never got a chance to get it up to speed! It was wicked fast, I can tell you that. But, I don't know about stability. I will post stuff here as soon as I can once I know.

We have another indoor fun run coming up, but that pool has turns and twists and a lazy river. So, he won't be able to run it fast there either. I'm not sure I can even run mine in that pool!
Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-2012indoorfunrunplainfield.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Indy could you take a measurement for me off your boat please? I am trying to find out on the motor mount what the width of the 2 screws that mount the plate to the hull are.

I am looking at changing motors on my old boat before I get one of these impulses also and would like to see what the measurement is because maybe I can use their mount system in my old hull as well. That way I can hook up water cooling alot easier.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by izcain
Hey Indy could you take a measurement for me off your boat please? I am trying to find out on the motor mount what the width of the 2 screws that mount the plate to the hull are.
I measure exactly 1" centerline to centerline of the screws.

Hope that helps. I was surprised it was so exact. I expected metric.

Just so you know it is soft aluminum. I have used a rat tail file to elongate the slots to get the motor to align better with the shaft. so, if you need to modify that plate a little, it shouldn't be a problem. This photo was taken BEFORE I did that. You can see some mis-alignment. The other thing I did was add washers and lock washers under the hex bolts. They just used the "cram them down tight" method from the factory. Not proper.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome that exactly what I was looking for! I am pretty sure I can use that mount with what I am doing. I will have to fab a strip of aluminum under that mount anyways since the mounts on mine are about 2 1/2 inches across. Thanks for taking the time to measure!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Got some better pics of the underside of the boat. Their real one had a white bottom hull too. I figured that area would potentially get scratched, so I left it white.

Attached Thumbnails Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse-009r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse-004r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse-002r.jpg   Pro Boat IMPULSE 26 & IMPULSE 31 electric boat!-lucasoilimpulse-001r.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 02-24-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.