R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   RC Boating (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rc-boating-142/)
-   -   Pro Boat 1/8 Hydroplane (https://www.rctech.net/forum/rc-boating/414367-pro-boat-1-8-hydroplane.html)

LOTORC 07-06-2010 02:18 PM

Pro Boat 1/8 Hydroplane

I am thinking about buying one of the pro boat 1/8 hydroplanes and I have heard ups and downs, does anyone have one that took the clutch off and did it help the boat at all? The boat looks tail heavy while running is this normal? What are the realistic speeds out of the box? Any help is greatly appreciated.

rc everywhere 07-10-2010 03:34 PM

i have one. i never took off the clutch

but i got alot more speed out of it buy changing the prop angle and dept.
that helps the nose stay down , but it depends alot on water currents and wind. one way you go with the wind and current and fly flat and fast, turn around and you have to be careful holding it wide open.

the stock prop cannot be moved soo either change out the parts or just put nylon washers between the prop arm and hull.
also slotting the holes for the turn fin so it can be ajusted to be parrallel to the side of the boat ( perpendicular to the water ) will help speed but cost
stability.
i had problems with mine out of the box but fixed them since
-gas tank leak ... two tanks in a row
-flex shaft stripped at the clutch bell due to poor alignment after first 1 min
-header pipe wrong angle to match exhaust perfect went flex shaft properly aligned.

i don't know i they are all like that but just be sure your flex shaft is able to slide in and out of the clutch bell before using, also check your muffler slides onto the two o-rings for propper flow and speed.

as for speed ... i've been using it for three years now , and i still need to go for a piss real bad before using it ( no matter if i just went or not ) and my knees shake the hole time i'm driving!
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture125.jpg

LOTORC 07-13-2010 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info. How fast do think yours is currently running? Because I have heard many different stories on speed, and alot of the videos out there are modified machines and I would like to see one that is running stock a motor.

rc everywhere 07-13-2010 11:26 AM

i would guess ... 40 mph ... give or take 15 mph! lol it could even be close to 60 ??? cause the guys with nitro boats where impressed at the speed of mine , after the repairs , but they said a made alot of wake, soo they never got too close to me for a heads up race.
i have dibs on my budies gps to check speed on my on-road car ... i'll have to check my boat to when i get the thing from him.
i was just at his house :o... always seems to slip my mind when i see him to ask for it.:confused:

mine came out of the box with a problem soo i got alot more speed now than from the box.
if you really want to go balls out racing ... get a boat 1 part at a time! $$$$

but this is an option to get you in the water a have a blast. for a bit less $$

LOTORC 08-16-2010 05:53 AM

RC Everywhere, would you pm me please.

ahwood1 08-19-2010 07:37 AM

A buddy of mine has one and he broke the stock strut twice and he also had to allow for more breathing room for the carberator also he problems with the needles on the carberator moving around while it was running.

ahwood1 08-19-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by rc everywhere (Post 7652762)
i have one. i never took off the clutch

but i got alot more speed out of it buy changing the prop angle and dept.
that helps the nose stay down , but it depends alot on water currents and wind. one way you go with the wind and current and fly flat and fast, turn around and you have to be careful holding it wide open.

the stock prop cannot be moved soo either change out the parts or just put nylon washers between the prop arm and hull.
also slotting the holes for the turn fin so it can be ajusted to be parrallel to the side of the boat ( perpendicular to the water ) will help speed but cost
stability.
i had problems with mine out of the box but fixed them since
-gas tank leak ... two tanks in a row
-flex shaft stripped at the clutch bell due to poor alignment after first 1 min
-header pipe wrong angle to match exhaust perfect went flex shaft properly aligned.

i don't know i they are all like that but just be sure your flex shaft is able to slide in and out of the clutch bell before using, also check your muffler slides onto the two o-rings for propper flow and speed.

as for speed ... i've been using it for three years now , and i still need to go for a piss real bad before using it ( no matter if i just went or not ) and my knees shake the hole time i'm driving!
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture125.jpg

Hey I still get the shakes everytime I get ready to run anything when I race. The first time I drove my .21 Hydro my butt hole was puckered but it was running about 70MPH. I am now trying to figure out how to get my hands on a twin rigger with a pair of 90CMB. Those things run anywhere from 100MPH to 130MPH on a coarse. That'll definately be a pucker moment and a good stiff drink after words.lol

rc everywhere 08-19-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ahwood1 (Post 7827283)
Hey I still get the shakes everytime I get ready to run anything when I race. The first time I drove my .21 Hydro my butt hole was puckered but it was running about 70MPH. I am now trying to figure out how to get my hands on a twin rigger with a pair of 90CMB. Those things run anywhere from 100MPH to 130MPH on a coarse. That'll definately be a pucker moment and a good stiff drink after words.lol

wow!!!
i need that! lol
sounds like alot of fun

kmichael 08-19-2010 06:05 PM

Have one but never fired it up and was told first thing to do is change the stock prop,good advise?

rc everywhere 08-20-2010 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by kmichael (Post 7829561)
Have one but never fired it up and was told first thing to do is change the stock prop,good advise?

... what kind of boat do you have ?

my pro-boat still has the stock prop , i tried a three blade ( too big )
and i have another two blade to try but i havn;e balanced it yet.

the stock prop is fine as long as you take it off and balance it before running.
my 1/12 formula came with a plastic prop , soo i put a metal one on that

Firefighterdan 09-03-2010 08:57 PM

I have four of the Pro Boat 1/8 scale hydroplanes and LOVE EM! I took the U-8 LLumar and custom painted it to look like the U-37 Miss Beacon Plumbing. I got the paint from Schumacher Racing in Seattle (I am friends with the crew chief) because I wanted it as accurate as possible. It has the clutch, and water pump removed. It also has a Speedmaster duel water pickup rudder and a 6518/3 prop modded for a hydroplane by Chris at Dasboata.com

For some reason it will not allow me to post pictures. :flaming: When I get it figured out I will post some.:blush:

Amax 09-18-2010 11:28 AM

The Stock 1\8 Boat with No Mods and a balanced and sharpened prop will run just over 40mph on average. With a little Strut tweaking and some Print work on the bottom You can get up in the mid to high 40 mph range, removing the clutch will free up a few RPM and and a little more power to turn more prop so it will run more in the high 40's.

I would post some pics and vids of mine but I'm new to This forum and Can't Yet until I have a certian number of post's,,LOL,, I don't know How Many it just said A "Certain Number".

But you can check out My Youtube Channel,,(topspeedhobbies),, and look for the Black Widow Vids,,