Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Spektrum 2.4ghz normal receiver how does it performs? >

Spektrum 2.4ghz normal receiver how does it performs?

Spektrum 2.4ghz normal receiver how does it performs?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Spektrum 2.4ghz normal receiver how does it performs?

Just wondering how many of you use Spektrum 2.4ghz radios on your boats using normal receivers?

How is the range?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

I switched over from 2.4 this year because i have lost so many boats do to receiver defects (not my radio box defects) now all i run is 75MHz airtronics Just my opinion
Old 01-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

well i run only spektrum.

Run a DX3S in my boats and also have a DX3R in a baja.

Have it with a marine receiver in a 1.2m long gas boat and works a treat. Goes far enough away for me to get worried lol.

And i also have a lil elec brushless boat just using the sr300 i think receiver. Seems ok.

Have only used this for testing so far so hasnt had much time in water as my "improvements" didnt improve at all lol.

I have read quite a bit of varied comments on spektrum. Seems as if I have a really good one.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claserdesigns View Post
Just wondering how many of you use Spektrum 2.4ghz radios on your boats using normal receivers?

How is the range?

Thanks
Don't do it. Spectrum has a reciever out that works in boats, their other ones didn't and Spectrum even stated in their literature not to use them in boats. I have been using a Futaba 3PK for 3 years on 2.4 with zero radio problems. I have seen several boats go out of control on the non marine Spectrum systems.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello. I have spektrum receiver in my 32' catamaran and I use it without problems. Only you must protect your receiver from water (it don't like it and the range is short).

Regards Karol.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by karolpenconek View Post
Hello. I have spektrum receiver in my 32' catamaran and I use it without problems. Only you must protect your receiver from water (it don't like it and the range is short).

Regards Karol.
Thats a big boat.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by laedco58 View Post
Thats a big boat.
LOL I'm hoping he ment 32" not 32'. Dang! If I saw a 32 foot RC boat on the water it would be time to leave the lake!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run the reg Spektrum receivers in all my boats and NEVER had a single problem.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Interesting...I switched to a surface 2.4gHz spektrum and had issues with electronics, like range related. I did not investigate any further but it looks like I am in the pool of unlucky ones.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If the reciever doesn't get wet I don't see a difference in surface performance. What does it matter if it's on water or land? I'm looking to get a spektrum radio soon and now I wonder if it's worth it. Maybe I'll just stick with my 75mhz.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Few things, differences:

- car - thin body, might be easier for radio waves to penetrate, receiver mounted on top of the chases which is as good as it can get, distance RX/TX can be typically small.

- boat - hull can be thick, harder for the radio waves to penetrate especially if the antenna starts inside the RX as that is the case for some surface RX. Distance Rx/Tx can be more than with cars.

If you look at the marine RX you would see that the antenna dosn't start right of the PCB board but instead a cox cable is connected to the PCB. It is hard do see for the pic as I do not own one but the last few inches of the coax must have the shilled removed. That is the actual antenna that can be mounted high above the hull surface.

In my case the Rx is on the back of the hull that gets "under water" and with the splashing water around it, it is probably not helping.

I think if the surface RX is modified such that the antenna is removed and replaced with a coax cable that should fix the range issue.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

You can also get these external antennas for 2.4ghz with a connector and coax cable if the range is an issue. But you need to know how to solder small stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default re spektrum receiver in rc boats

i have a spektrum dx3r radio which i use to race nitro truggy and 1/8 electric buggy and it works great.

i decided to race my blackjack brushless cat with a spektrum receiver and i lost control several times.

i wanted to buy one of the new spektrum marine receivers to use in my hydro& marine step 4 mono but these marine receivers only work with the dx3s radio.

alot of the guys who were racing boats use the cheapo tactic 2.4 ghz and they never have issues. you can buy a tactic 2.4 ghz radio with reciever for about 80.00 bucks . the receivers dont even have an external antenna and they work much excellent.

i just wish the new spektrum marine receivers would work with the dx3r radio.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am using my Spectrum 3.0 rx in both current boats. One has CF floor the other is just glass. The main thing is they do not transmit through water, including spray, so I have the antenna sticking out and up. I also use the Tactics which have no antenna (only on boats w/o cf floor). I have not had one problem. I was using FM 75MHZ, but was getting interference with some of the ESCs out there. No glitches since I went high frequency. And yes, I conformal epoxied my rxs to water proof them AND I put them in a baggie - you know, safe boating.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default i race outriggers

and i only do fm . i have a lot of carbon fiber failures with the spektrum . fm has proven to be good to me

just my 2 cents

thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.