Wiki Posts
Search

Buying an Electric Rc Boat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Buying an Electric Rc Boat

Hey guys which Rc boat is better Aquacraft SuperVee 27 Brushless or the Traxxas Villain Ex? Which one of the two is better?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM
DLM

Default Buying electric boat

Sticking my nose out here! I was reading on RC Groups on a posting from a California Boater that water gets into and between the walls and he suggested using a auto bailer to get rid of water and has no problems since. Now here's where things get touchy. Speed of Ex over 30 mph becomes unstable from owners and a moderator of said product. Now the Vee had water problems from the start but i think they have been solved. These answers come from various forums and all say the same, so i'm giving you what i read. My boats are 22" range and are fast enough for me at 30 mph. The faster you want boats, the budget must increase 3 times what i have for my budget. Bigger the boat, bigger the wallet. Now it depends on what you want the boat for in usage. Personally i like the 25" monos with twin lipos with a good bl system that will do say 40 mph. That's out of my budget but i like them.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DLM
Sticking my nose out here! I was reading on RC Groups on a posting from a California Boater that water gets into and between the walls and he suggested using a auto bailer to get rid of water and has no problems since. Now here's where things get touchy. Speed of Ex over 30 mph becomes unstable from owners and a moderator of said product. Now the Vee had water problems from the start but i think they have been solved. These answers come from various forums and all say the same, so i'm giving you what i read. My boats are 22" range and are fast enough for me at 30 mph. The faster you want boats, the budget must increase 3 times what i have for my budget. Bigger the boat, bigger the wallet. Now it depends on what you want the boat for in usage. Personally i like the 25" monos with twin lipos with a good bl system that will do say 40 mph. That's out of my budget but i like them.
I just bought a supervee27 for 175 used. I'm only running twin 3800 nimh batteries 7.2v. Seems like your heavy into rc stuff. If you need anything just send me a priv message kk?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
DLM

Thumbs up Buying an electric rc boat

Question on the Super Vee? Now have you had any water leaks? Those cells should get you around the pond till you get used to running the vee and its habits. You can upgrade from there if budget allows. I also have 3 homemade airboats that are fun. I have 3- 22" lazer cut monos of which are no more and a few thick abs monos with bl systems and some with brushed motors. I've been retired 11 years and have built riggers, round noses ,cats and some more monos but if don't come out right, scrap pile here i come. I started some 15 years ago before there were web sites, so trial and error was tutor. The hardest thing for me was weight difference of lipos and nimh cause motor and interior supports had to be revamped so lipos or motors had to be moved toward the bow or placed 3" from transom. There was alot of dremel work done and cut fingers tooooooo.LOL! Another gray area was props that worked great with brushed, didn't work with bl cause i was using 7.4 lipo voltage instead of nimh 9.5 voltage. I had to find props and did with carbon fiber in the 1.4 pitch and 34.5 and 36, 37.5mm to match 7.4 of bl systems. I could go 11.1 but budget holds me back. The 7.4 lipos go fast enough to the tune of close to 30mph. Speeds higher than that need a bigger pond and where i go is good size, you'd be surprised how small a pond can get. Thanks for replying. TTYL.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DLM
Sticking my nose out here! I was reading on RC Groups on a posting from a California Boater that water gets into and between the walls and he suggested using a auto bailer to get rid of water and has no problems since.
HUH? An autobailer in a electric? You can but you have to seperate the electrics form the area that makes water otherwise your electronics will be wet which results in damage. A better solution is to use silicon or rubber O-rings with every screw. I know in nitro's it is very common to use autobailers since we have seperate and waterproof radioboxes.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
DLM

Default Buying an electric boat

Unlimited; i don't understand your answer. You put an autobailers to remove water from boat. The gentleman asked the difference between the 2 boats. I replied on each boat and what i read was water gets between the inner wall and outer wall; remedy is to put a autobailer to remove water and it does what it is supposed to do. Most electronics are located inside of boat and generally not in the territory of what mentioned. Reason i know is i have a EX of that size and are sheltered to a degree but not 100% free of moisture. I have my esc is watercooled and waterproof. The servo is Corrosion-x'ed and rx has a balloon with a piece of paper folding towel to absorb any moisure. Now the amount of moisture is generally less than a tablespoon, and never have a problem after inserting the bailer. Now with nitro, you have a open cockpit so water can actually splash in and bailer takes care of excess cause bailer like a vaccuum area of which a nitro doesn't like an electric boat where tape is used to seal the cover on. Now am i correct so far. There;s a difference here like apples and oranges, correct. ***** You mention damage to electrics, that's reason we use tape to secure cover down. Nothing can be perfect but also nitro has speeds well over what a 27 or EX can achieve, so our water leakage will be alot less if any unless something breaks, totally a different subject. No offense here or meant but 2 different rc boats. Autobailers in electrics is common here in the USa if they are needed and if not needed, aren't used. Suggestion; o rings;, better off to use GOOP just before you turn screws all the way in with a dab of GOOP and when tightened, just wipe off excess and have a flush surface. Let dry for a day. Electric cats use autobailers on each sponson of which i read on RRH.

Last edited by DLM; 08-08-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Thumbs up electric rc boats

I was reading what DLM typed and is agree with him except the autobailers. I too have a Modified EX with a single UL-1 motor on 4S2p in parallel with a 440 metal prop and runs great and no water leakage. Mph, no idea as decent speed and no mechanical problems is all I am after. The bailors can get stuck open if a speck of dirt get hung in ball of bailor and Davey Jones has company. Also my EX has no turn fins. I extended the stakes to transom which act as turn fins even at 30 mph and worked out great.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

no need to bring back a four year old thread.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Seems to be a trend with this guy.