Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Batteries and charger for a Traxxas Villian >

Batteries and charger for a Traxxas Villian

Batteries and charger for a Traxxas Villian

Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Batteries and charger for a Traxxas Villian

I purchased a Traxxas Villian from a guy on the Traxxas website, he is shipping it out. But I wanted to get some ideas for batteries and charger that would work well so I can get them ordered and here when the boat arrives.

Here is the info on his post so you can get an idea of what the boat has:

villain iv with mods, groupner u joints, x477 props, 3/16 shafts, ex motor mounts, new titan 550s, water cooling, 14.4v traxxas/novak esc, brass bullet nuts on shafts, new traxxas tq3 radio.

I know there has been a ton of discussion on previous posts about batteries and what to run. But there is so many different discussions I found it more difficult to figure out what I really need.

I am thinking that I should go Lipo, maybe the Zippy packs from hobbycity but I have no clue on which ones. I also need a charger that can handle whichever batteries I get. I have never owned anything electric, I have a large collection of Nitro trucks but nothing electric.

Can someone tell me what batteries they recommend for this boat, where to find them. Also an affordable charger, that would charge fairly fast too. And whatever other components i need such as balancer or anything else to make this work and WILL FIT in the boat. I am also thinking if I like this then I may get a new Villian EX or possibly a SuperBee27 that I would like to be able to use the same batteries and chargers for. And if there is anything that also works in a mini revo, I may be looking at one of them too.

P.S. I use tower for almost everything, so any parts from them is a plus unless I can save a bunch of $$ somewhere else.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I dont know much about boats so I wouldnt be much help with the batteries you need, but here is a charger I recommend for pretty much anything 6s or under. It also has a built in balancer and charges up to 17 cell nimh/nicad...

I have had great service with these guys and their shipping is extremely fast...

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=13&item_id=87
Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

If you buy lipo's get the ones with at least 25C discharge rates. Why don't you convert it into brushless using a twin motor with the gearbox?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bummer, I just bought some last night but they only are a 20c I believe. I picked up 6 Turnigy 2s 5000mah Lipo's with a Turnigy charger, and a LVC most of it from Hobbycity. I also ordered my Supervee27 as well.

If I knew a little more about electric I would convert that Villian to brushless with the gearbox, I just have never owned electric so your speaking french to me right now I am sure I will learn fast, and end up doing some upgrades.

What are the advantages?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Advantage of a gearbox in a FE is that you lower the revvs on the prop which results in that you can use props with more pitch.