R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating

Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Haha, that's a sweet boat! Looks like it might be pretty heavy too, but if you get enough horsepower and the right prop in it you should be able to get it on plane. Are you going to build a trailer for the EMaxx or can you buy something like that?

I'll put pics of my boat up soon. Nothing has really changed yet except the prop, but I do have a game plan.
Firehawk989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I'll probably go pick it up tomorrow. I know I could buy a trailer but I think for the sake of not spending a ton of money on this I'll probably end up making a trailer. Props are another concern. I'm hoping I'll be able to change it out for something more agressive.

It should look pretty sweet behind this:

Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

That's a sweet truck!

Here's a few pics of the boat as it is now. All I've done so far is add the brass prop and solder on a JST connector for the battery pack.

Now I just need to get some cheap radio gear somewhere, or find an excuse to replace the electronics in my buggy.

The rudder should be really easy to hook up to a servo, and there is plenty of space to stick a receiver, ESC, and battery pack. I just have to figure out where to place everything to get the boat to plane properly.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #19
Tech Regular

How did you put that prop on that shaft? Is that the original shaft? I picked up my boat from Toys R Us today and it looks like the prop is a press on.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

That is the original shaft; the original prop was hex drive via a nut behind it and the nut you see in the picture clamped it on to that. The prop I bought is slot drive for a drive-dog setup. To get it to work I cut out a round piece of foam rubber to fit between the rear nut and the prop so the prop doesn't slip. Eventually I'll order a real drive dog off ebay or something so I can fit the prop correctly.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Well I finally had time to open up my boat and take it apart to see what I have to work with. It's a 380 motor and has a small gearbox attached to the motor. My original idea was to fit it with a 540 motor for some decent power but I think for simplicity reasons I am now thinking about going with a brushless 380 motor that is found in most mini rc's. I have a feeling that this project will be pushed to the back burner for now but I plan on taking it over to the park in a little while to see how it does stock. Here are some pics. It's 27 inches from the bow to the stern and the "ski deck" hangs off the back another 3-4 inches or so.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #22
Tech Regular

great start. i love converting nikko boats!

[URL="http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lounge/255446-rctech-ad-models-vote-your-favorite-model.html"]Vote for your favorite rc girl! [/URL]
HoaRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Funny I see this
We go to the lake alot. Well went to Wally world and got a $20 boat for the kids to play with. Well one of them droppped the controller in the water. Fried it.
We got back home I looked it over TOAST. I think to my self I got some old Motors ESC Batt's Radio.
Let s Say I revamped It
Futaba Radio Tekin ESC Old 540 MOd Motor and a 3800 4 cell Pack... Worked great until I spun the gear.
Now tring to figure out a new way to power to prop . Direct drive or Work Out some other Idea
Any Idea's
I now have one of the Small Mini mod Motors to use. the 540 was a bit heavy

Stryker - Mc Allister Racing Bodies - Spektrum -Novak -
Sponsors
Linson Signs - Super Tint
ST_ODIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
Tech Elite

need to do this sometime, my friend just finished his scratch built PT boat, and I want to race him
Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via Skype™ to Stampedekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVipers View Post
Can't wait to see pics of your BL Mini Rio. I have a Brushless Pro-Boat Mini-C. Post pics when you are finished.
Cool! How's that Mini-C doing on all that power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK2765 View Post
hows the brushless mini rio coming along?
Well first I need the money for the new TX/RX(going FM again but probably JR XR2i, the stock radio is FM but the esc/rx are 2 in 1(ugh) and I am sure on the motor and ESC too, probably gonna use a 3S from an E-Flite Blade CP Pro 2.
The esc will be a Castle Mamba Micro Pro and the ESC will be a Great Planes Ammo 28-35-5100 in runner brushless motor. I've seen some use the 4000 but I want to try the 5100.
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

Hello,
it is very simple ,you just need a rc car and a toy boat fit the motor at the back of the boat
and for steering get a servo and take two cardboard pieces
attach them to the servo moving part(shaft)like a real boat near the propelorr
the propellor can be made from a can.

Thanks
________
wallet is offline   Reply With Quote