Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Zelos Tuning Problems >

Zelos Tuning Problems

Zelos Tuning Problems

Old 08-03-2022, 12:33 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Default Zelos Tuning Problems

Hi All,
I have just purchased a new Zelos 48G.
I am trying to get it ready to take on the lake. So, getting it tuned to run without stalling.
I have set the idle high enough so that is idling high without spinning the prop. But it either dies after very slow throttle up or if I do get it revving high, as soon as I let off the throttle it dies..
So, I need help tuning this to run. I am running 91 octane fresh gas and quality 2 stroke oil at 25/1.
Any help is very appreciated.
Craig
Craigthecutter is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 12:41 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
 
the rc guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,247
Default

use throttle trim add a few on the dial.turn it up
the rc guy is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 04:22 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
1995 Monster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by Craigthecutter View Post
Hi All,
I have just purchased a new Zelos 48G.
I am trying to get it ready to take on the lake. So, getting it tuned to run without stalling.
I have set the idle high enough so that is idling high without spinning the prop. But it either dies after very slow throttle up or if I do get it revving high, as soon as I let off the throttle it dies..
So, I need help tuning this to run. I am running 91 octane fresh gas and quality 2 stroke oil at 25/1.
Any help is very appreciated.
Craig
If your engine is water cooled with water the engine will overheat and shut down if not cooled. You will have to run the motor with water. If your boat has a water pump you can use a gallon jug and drop a extension line in the jug off the pick-up line and run the motor. until the jug empties. It will give you time to adjust close until you tune it at the lake.
1995 Monster T is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 11:19 PM
  #4  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Default

The motor is water cooled. Its a 30cc petrol engine that has a water cooled head and a water cooled exhaust pipe. The head cooling is picked up from the tail, the pipe is a pick up feed from the back of the boat.

When I start it up, it revs hard.... So i am thinking its possibly rich and gives up. Maybe flooding the motor or running lean??

I am certain its about tuning. I am gentle with run in.... but I need to also keep it running? If I lean it then I could possibly rev it. but I thought it was a balance between running lean and advanced throttle.

My question is: Its a new motor that needs running in..... It dies before it even gains heat. So I am thinking it isnt because of the water. It Dies before you can even start tuning.

If I was to attempt to tune it in the water I would not be able to even start and throw it in the water. Its a matter of seconds before I can rev/tune it dies.....

More ideas needed please! Craig
Craigthecutter is offline  
Old 08-04-2022, 02:55 AM
  #5  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Default

Its not the RC Control. I have got idling fine..... Its the difference between throttling up to high revs and dropping off... it dies,.

also if I start it and warm up it dies if I pull the trigger.....

I think its carb tuning...
Craigthecutter is offline  
Old 08-04-2022, 07:17 AM
  #6  
Tech Adept
 
1995 Monster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 149
Default

Stock carb settings should be low 1-1/4+1/4 and high start 1-3/4 and idle should be .400 measured with a caliper depth. You can start the motor but if the engine isn't cycled cooled with water it will shut down fast and run the way you described. The water cools the engine down. The motor isn't air cooled.

Sounds as though you don't have a water pump kit with a pulse kit. Get one and do as I suggested to get motor running. Once water is cooling motor you can start tuning the carb until the water supply is out.

You shouldn't try and start a water-cooled engine without being water cooled. it can damage the engine and it will start the first time and every time after it will get harder and harder until it won't start. The motor has no cooling.

Last edited by 1995 Monster T; 08-04-2022 at 07:27 AM.
1995 Monster T is offline  
Old 08-05-2022, 03:08 AM
  #7  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by 1995 Monster T View Post
Stock carb settings should be low 1-1/4+1/4 and high start 1-3/4 and idle should be .400 measured with a caliper depth. You can start the motor but if the engine isn't cycled cooled with water it will shut down fast and run the way you described. The water cools the engine down. The motor isn't air cooled.

Sounds as though you don't have a water pump kit with a pulse kit. Get one and do as I suggested to get motor running. Once water is cooling motor you can start tuning the carb until the water supply is out.

You shouldn't try and start a water-cooled engine without being water cooled. it can damage the engine and it will start the first time and every time after it will get harder and harder until it won't start. The motor has no cooling.
So, if I put it into the lake/water and let it rev into my knee and try to tune it,

I dont want to let it blitz out to the lake just yet. I really want to tune it and learn it.....

So, you think its worth while? All I have done so far is get it to start and it dies.... So if I get the water pumping through the head and then start tuning it could actually work out?
Craigthecutter is offline  
Old 08-05-2022, 06:49 AM
  #8  
Tech Adept
 
1995 Monster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by Craigthecutter View Post
So, if I put it into the lake/water and let it rev into my knee and try to tune it,

I dont want to let it blitz out to the lake just yet. I really want to tune it and learn it.....

So, you think its worth while? All I have done so far is get it to start and it dies.... So if I get the water pumping through the head and then start tuning it could actually work out?
No matter what you do if the engine isn't water co0led it will overhear and not run long enough to adjust the carb.

The motor needs to water cooled. It is best if you get the carb settings close before going to the lake.

I always check my boats before I go to the lake. I use a gallon jug filled with water and add another fuel line to extend the pick -up line outside the hull to the bottom of the jug. Then you can start the motor and it will run if the pump is pumping water threw the water jacket. Make sure the water is pumping by removing the line on the exhaust side from jacket to the header. If engine is running them water is flowing. Make adjustments to get the low and idle set close. Leave the high until you get to the lake. NEVER run a boat out of the water full throttle it will cause damage!

If your boat has a clutch set your prop to slight spin as you will never get it to fully stop. as it isn't in the water. If no clutch slow it down till the engine stop and add 1/2 idle turn to start and check if you can start and run motor.
1995 Monster T is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.