Foam ?

Old 11-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Foam ?

Recently i crashed my boat.after 5 laps i was coming back around to land when steering linkage came loose and veered off straight into the rocks at full speed (gps showed 89 ).well it tore off half of one sponson.question is, i scraped it back togather with pieces i found and filled cavity with spray foam.will resin melt the spray foam ?
Old 11-06-2021, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

since you used a can id make a test blob then mix-up some of the resign and spread some on to test...simple
Old 11-06-2021, 11:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Zmann
Recently i crashed my boat.after 5 laps i was coming back around to land when steering linkage came loose and veered off straight into the rocks at full speed (gps showed 89 ).well it tore off half of one sponson.question is, i scraped it back togather with pieces i found and filled cavity with spray foam.will resin melt the spray foam ?

My 41" cat before crash
Old 11-07-2021, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

so you think foam from a can will be or should I say will have the same floatation amount as the oem foam..id say nope..
Old 11-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Tech Initiate

What do you mean oem foam ? I bought a bare hull.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

so you added foam to get boat looking like it did. so no other foam is in it?.all i can say some foams dont like some chemicals as you said will it melt? heck it could burst into flames hours later unsure....ive only made repairs on 1:1 boats
Old 11-10-2021, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

From what I Zmann is saying he used something like an expanding spray foam from likely a can to make some repairs but now wants to remove the expanding foam.

Not sure if your putting fiberglass over the repair and if the concern is resin will ruin the foam?

But if this is the case you dont have anything to worry about. I have used expanding foam and fiberglass in direct contact with each other in the past on jet-skis with no problems. Ones the expanding foam cures it is resistant to solvents and resins/hardener's.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

like I said do a test on some extra foam. i dint see any mention about removal of his foam..