How do I stop Pack puff

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By racer_turner

How do I stop Pack puff

Old 05-11-2020, 01:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default How do I stop Pack puff

Hello gents. I've had a stock zelos 48 for a few years now and rarely take it out since everytime I run it my 3s and 4s packs always puff. I have tried from 50c discharge to 120c discharge packs, running xt90 connectors at first and 8mm bullets no difference in heat or swelling between connection methods. It has the stock 1000kv motor, stock 160a dynamite esc and stock prop. Batteries are about 130-140 degrees after a 5-7 minute run. Connectors are "cool" (I'm assuming) at 100 degrees and motor barely hits 100 degrees.
I'm having a hell of a time believing this boats recommended batteries are 50c eith an ec5 connector. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What batteries are you running?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

racer not all packs are all thats they are rated at..so I take it your running 2x3cells and 2x4 cells,,,try a higher quality pack....if your batteries r coming off a run at 140 then Id say how long is your run time? decrease it by 25% that should keep temps down...prop pitch will also add to your batteries getting hot .a lot of things will add heat to your batteries.....maybe try a different type of battery. I love to use A123 batts they take abuse and use a lot better than a lipo sure they are 2x heavier but deliver what im after..A123 systems
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm running hobbystar 8000mah 100c 4s packs, and Kershaw designs 7200mah 70c 3s packs. I run the boat for about 5 minutes, and make sure it doesn't hit LVC. I checked and calls were on average 3.9 to 4.0 after the run. Prop is something I haven't played with as I figured running the stock 1.4p 2.05 prop wouldn't hurt. Plus that everything else seems to be normal. Thank you guys for the advice, looks like I'm gonna have to spring for some good cells.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

IMHO neither 1 of those packs are quality packs Hobbystar( whom makes it)?. Kershaw( Never had any faith in that company Relabeled cheap stuff trying to pass as Top of the line)id really try a known good quality Lipo and test that...A123 system batts are my go to in some of my FAST Boats ive built with more than 12.6v ..just some fyi the A123 are very difficult to solder tabs on(purchased a mini spot welder from a Estate sales years ago and set it up for my needs....anyway try a know good battery … Ive never had a lipo come off anything Ive run since my 1st introduction to them and Using them at a local track for about a year and a half b4 the Leaders got there own...( and they followed ROAR rules well kinda )..
Old 05-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you sir. I just bought some ovonic 2s packs I'm gonna try running 4 seeing if spreading out over 4 packs vs 2 helps if not I figured they work well in my cars so I'll just use them for surface if it doesn't work out. Also picked up some gens ace 7600mah 4s packs as a just in case the ovonics dont work out.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

get a watt meter to plug inline and see what kinds watts then convert that to amps your pulling.....so you ran 2-4celling in parallel now you gonna run 2 cells in series?...the other way you put half the load on each 4 cell pack this way full load in going to the 4 cells ull have in series..what country are you in ? time zone plz..
Old 05-13-2020, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Update*

Took the zelos out last night with a 5mm smaller prop, and lvc set to the highest voltage vs the 3.2. Batteries only got to around 80 degrees but boat only clicked off 30mph on 8s. With the batteries being cool I switched packs out for a fresh set and switch prop back to the largest prop I had on the boat just to do a comparison, ran full speed for 2 minutes and checked the batteries they were at 82 degrees and gps said only 39 mph. Did a full run till lvc hit and the packs were at 90 degrees after 7 minutes of hard running. Motor and esc were matched at 82 degrees. I think it's safe to say my problem may have been the lvc setting. After I got home I checked the prop size and the largest prop I have on it is 44mm. I know the factory supplies large prop was 55mm. I am going to repeat the latter test and hopefully battery issue is gone now with the new cutoff setting. I am also going to balance and sharpen the new 55mm prop I have coming from proboat. Thank you all for the information. And Mitch I cant thank you enough for letting me call and bend your ear to get this worked out!! Love the good side of the rc community!

the rc guy likes this.

Last edited by racer_turner; 05-13-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling