Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
Steer right ? >

Steer right ?

Steer right ?

Old 04-20-2020, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steer right ?

I've got a 41" cat,dual motors,counter rotating props,a 25kg steering servo and a 105mm alum rudder.no matter how much I adjust it it just won't track straight.and there's no slop in linkage.Is the servo not strong enough or is the rudder to long, what!!!!!
Old 04-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

servo is not strong enough.are motors matched . is 1 turning faster than the other,
Old 04-20-2020, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Both motors are identical I've even swamped them from one side to the other.it's not just turning one direction but left and right when corrected.what size servo would you suggest ?
Old 04-21-2020, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

you have to figure out why it goes right but wont go left or port.. servo id take total weight then factor in max speed and go from there..how many amps can ur bec support?.might need to go 100+kg..is cat hull square and level. does it float same depth in water as in left side to right side?.some thing is off in your hull..
Old 04-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

It goes right and left.I have to constantly correct it like it doesn't know we're center is.it sits square but kinda ass heavy but I also have 2 6s bats 2 150a escs and 2 4092 hobby wing motors.I havnt put it on scales yet but I'm guessing 7 to 9 lbs.it planes out quick and runs great across the water when I can keep it straight.it seems to track best when I turn the steering rate to minimum but then I have a huge turn radius.so far with 55mm props I've got it to 72.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

You just dont have a servo that will do the job needed is all and if possible id set expotential up on my steering so I can turn on a dime..Ive got a 52" Miss bud proboat. with 2 -800 series brushless..and a big Hitec servo in it 1/5 scale.even on my 24" hulled boats I have onverkill servos .its way more than needed.but again a 8lb object traveling thru water has or needs a lot more torque than a 8lb vehicle on asphalt..id say 3x or more Torque needed..theres a few nice 60kg servos on amazon that wont break the bank