Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho Jetstream 888 Blew my mind!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Kyosho Jetstream 888 Blew my mind!!!

I have had many boats pickle fork out board nitro boats fleets of electric boats and eventually Got over it. I just couldn't find a boat that was fast and exciting to drive as well as reliable. I picked up the Kyosho Jetstream 888 and it was crazy fast with a 4S. Then I though I want to get really crazy as I do with everything. So I changed the speed control and kept the motor then put 6S battery set up in it. It is so fast it is un natural. Remember the first time you launched a Model rocket in jr high? You where sitting there watching it them bam its go so fast you could hardly see it. That is this boat on 4S and 6S. It literally startled my friend.

This boat with 6S spools up and launches like a rocket. Its unbelievable. to video tape it it tough. It looks like someone sped up the tape. It hit so hard my friend almost fell in the water in shock. The reason I picked this boat was the self righting feature. In the past I used to get bummed out when my boat would flip and i had to fish it out or wait for it blow across he lake. I always drove from down wind. Now i can flip it and to turned right back over. So far the self righting has worked with 3S 4S 6S no extra mods.

Yes it expensive but I look at it like the fiberglas hull and paint job alone would be $300 in labor just for me to have it built at least. The craftsmanship it second to none. For not much more you get the radio that works great and Orion water cooled motor and Orion water cooled speed control.

The great thing about boats is you don't have to buy a load of hop up parts to keep it competitive. This thing is top notch. A couple of batteries and you are done.

Ok that is it I just wanted to share.
I will try to get some videos for my next update.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Jetstream 888

I too am thinking of getting one, what is the 6s battery you went with (volts, mamh, 60-130c?) and what esc did you get to handle the heat and is the stock motor ok with the extra power (heat issues) and the most important will it waste my friends traxxas spartan. Do you have any footage to see heres me using his spartan goto youtube and copy and paste into there search window FtIHwR82w2w (always worrying about flipping it).
Thanks

Last edited by sw4eva; 11-10-2014 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add video link
Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

It works with the stock motor. I had to use a 120A speed control.
and yes it will smoke the Spartan. It should be faster than the spartan with a 4s. But the drag race power is unbelievable. If you romp on it to hard it will do a barrel roll from the torque. A few things to do before you do 6s, Tighten all hwr. Change to an aluminum prop and check on the foam in the front of the hull. It will get loose and tangle with your motor.
The batteries I tested with where the hobby people 11.1 volt 2200mah. 30c. I used two 3s packs. The run time was short. Like 5 minutes ish.
I'm planning on using a gps that will tell me the MPH.
You will have to drop your prop drive a couple of lines and make some adjustments to get it to stay in the water.
The prop I used is the billet aluminum one from Kyosho.
The speed controller I ended up using is the Orion 120A Everything else is stock.
No heat issues.

Originally Posted by sw4eva
I too am thinking of getting one, what is the 6s battery you went with (volts, mamh, 60-130c?) and what esc did you get to handle the heat and is the stock motor ok with the extra power (heat issues) and the most important will it waste my friends traxxas spartan. Do you have any footage to see heres me using his spartan goto youtube and copy and paste into there search window FtIHwR82w2w (always worrying about flipping it).
Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

The self righting feature really works btw. Even with the 6s. It's a life saver. I have flipped this boat more times than I can count. It doesn't have a scratch on it. It won't sink. I made a leash for my hatch and I tape it down every time.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RacinJacin
The self righting feature really works btw. Even with the 6s. It's a life saver. I have flipped this boat more times than I can count. It doesn't have a scratch on it. It won't sink. I made a leash for my hatch and I tape it down every time.
Thats the most appealing part the self righting. The only thing i dont like about it is the small hatch area looks like a bitch if you want to change the motor out.
If you run 2 x 3's do they have to sit on the same side of the boat so it rolls back after flipping? Would 1 x 6's do the trick and 40c-130c be ok on the esc and motor, first time i have heard of a out runner.
Any pics or vids of yours?
Cheers
Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Tech Rookie

will this be recommended if i were to be a newbie and i like speed and i have extra cash in hand? cause i prefer batteries and i'm still looking around..kyosho seems to be a reputable brand yes?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default It would be a fine start up boat. Its RTR.

This boat only needs batteries and you are ready to rock. It is a work of art. Running a 4 cell it perfect. 6s was way way way to fast.

Originally Posted by mgfdr689
will this be recommended if i were to be a newbie and i like speed and i have extra cash in hand? cause i prefer batteries and i'm still looking around..kyosho seems to be a reputable brand yes?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I just picked up this boat and I bought it for the self righting feature also. It's why I picked it over the Spartan. I figured that I could always mod it to go faster later down the road.

I'm currently using a Venom 4S 50C 3600mah lipo in it and it's pretty fast but the run times are kind of short, maybe 7 minutes. I'm going to try an Ecopower 4S 35C pack to see if the run times improve. Hopefully it doesn't slow down too much.

Do you guys know if the aluminum props for the Atomik boats will fit this boat? I'm looking at one I saw on Amazon. It is 36mm diameter with a 1.4 pitch. Forgive me because I am new to RC boating and I still don't quite understand these numbers, especially the pitch. Will this work on the Jetstream 888?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

7 minutes is actually a lot for a boat. My impulse 31 would only go 5 mins with 2 5200mah 2s batteries
Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pintobean11
7 minutes is actually a lot for a boat. My impulse 31 would only go 5 mins with 2 5200mah 2s batteries
Oh okay. That's good to know. I just picked up an Ecopower 35C 4100Mah from Amain. At least this battery is balanced so hopefully I can get a few more minutes out of it. The venoms I had were terrible.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been debating getting a boat and this may be the one!
Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by seanhawk
I've been debating getting a boat and this may be the one!
If you do then you won't regret it. It's awesome! So far I love mine. It's great right out of the box but I never stay stock for very long. I'm already in the process of modding it.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Looks like this boat is now discontinued. Glad I bought mine when I did. I have had several RTR boats through the years mainly from Aquacraft, and ProBoat, this boat blew me away first run! This hull is simply amazing, fit and finish is something you would expect from a custom build. I can see why it is so expensive, but that is probably its only downfall. People looking to get into boats do not want to shell out over $500, then $$ more for good batteries. But I will say this, I use to carry 2 boats at all times. One to run, and one for recovery from when they do flip. Now this with the self righting feature it is the only boat I carry. Hopefully its next successor will be as much of a bad a$$ as this one was.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello guys, I just picked up a Jet stream 888 on Kijji for a super good price with hobby wing 180 ESC and 6 pole motor, only thing is I should have looked closer as the guy I got it from is kinda a dork and the upgrade motor and so one don't line up with the seeming too small prop drive shaft, feels rubbery and spongy and so on, need complete tear down and done right, and not by a guy that has no Fid what he was doing but for the price with 2 sets of 6S batterys and TSM receiver and 6 pole motor its still a deal. Only except I went to look for upgrade parts tonight and there is nothing out there at all, I guess I will have to upgrade it to spartan 3/16th drive shaft and build it all custom, any ideas?

Reg