Updated 2017 Lipo Battery Charger Thread >

Updated 2017 Lipo Battery Charger Thread

Like Tree8Likes

Updated 2017 Lipo Battery Charger Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Updated 2017 Lipo Battery Charger Thread

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been pondering a new charger as well. Currently semi-decided on an Ultra Power UP200 since it'd be nice to be able to charge two batteries at once but can't really justify anything very expensive, and it seems to be a reliable enough charger.

Internal power supply is kinda convenient since there's less of a hassle when transporting it, I think. Downside is that many chargers give twice as much power with an external supply as compared to to the internal one. For example the UP200 or a SkyRC D100 give 2x100W with DC a power supply, but with the internal AC power supply it only gives 100W total. Having the extra power would be nice, but I don't really know what'd be a reliable power supply + charger combo for at least two batteries at a reasonable price (under $100 basically), or if such a thing even exist at that price.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For 2S the answer is: no, you do not need 1000W. 8.4V x 40A = 336W, adding in the inefficiencies and all that, 400-450W would be all you ever needed - less, if you charge at less than 40A. Chargers like the iCharger 406 Duo have such high Watt numbers to do 6S at 40A (so 25,2V x 40A = 1008W). So, as you can see: how many Watts you need, is entirely determined at what current you want to charge your 2S batteries. For 5A (8,4V x 5A = 42W) something with around 50W is enough (always remember though: there is no 100% efficiency, so a couple more Watts cannot hurt).

AC chargers usually only have a rather limited internal power supply, so that's why all the high powered ones come as DC - you just need a beefy power supply for them to max them out. External power supplies can also be used for pit lights, tire warmers (in On-Road), etc. - but it's another box you got to bring every time. Again: personal decision.

IMO, if you buy a new, quality LiPo nowadays, you don't need to stick with 1C anymore. Personally I now use 2C now pretty much all the time - never needed more than that yet. But that's personal preference, just like the 40A charging that some people do. It's your battery (and your car or even your house), not anyone else's, so be aware of the risks and decide accordingly.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

I recommend a charger with a built in AC power supply. And I recommend 200W minimum.

The expensive part of a charger is the power supply. This is why DC only chargers are a lot cheaper, and it is also why most AC chargers don't have much power....to keep the price down.

A DC only charger is only as good as your power supply, and the power supply is a significant expense. A 1000W DC charger hooked to a 200W power supply becomes a 200W charger.

In the case of the biggest iCharger, you actually need TWO of their power supplies to give you the full rated output! The cost? $540 (two power supplies) + $350 (icharger) = $890!

The affordable option would be to go to hobbypartz.com and get one of their chargers with built in AC power. The one I own is 200W on 1 channel. This charger allows me to rapidly charge a single pack, or I can parallel charge several packs.

I don't like most multiple channel chargers because they limit you to a 1C charge rate per channel. So you can't quickly charge a battery.

This year I bought the EV Peak SD1 from Amain.com. It is a 2 channel AC/DC charger. It charges at 300W/channel on AC (500w/channel in DC). I use it exclusively on AC, and it has all the power I ever need for charging 6S packs.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump View Post
I recommend a charger with a built in AC power supply. And I recommend 200W minimum.

The expensive part of a charger is the power supply. This is why DC only chargers are a lot cheaper, and it is also why most AC chargers don't have much power....to keep the price down.

A DC only charger is only as good as your power supply, and the power supply is a significant expense. A 1000W DC charger hooked to a 200W power supply becomes a 200W charger.

In the case of the biggest iCharger, you actually need TWO of their power supplies to give you the full rated output! The cost? $540 (two power supplies) + $350 (icharger) = $890!

The affordable option would be to go to hobbypartz.com and get one of their chargers with built in AC power. The one I own is 200W on 1 channel. This charger allows me to rapidly charge a single pack, or I can parallel charge several packs.

I don't like most multiple channel chargers because they limit you to a 1C charge rate per channel. So you can't quickly charge a battery.

This year I bought the EV Peak SD1 from Amain.com. It is a 2 channel AC/DC charger. It charges at 300W/channel on AC (500w/channel in DC). I use it exclusively on AC, and it has all the power I ever need for charging 6S packs.
You can get power supplies for MUCH less than that. I picked up a plug and play set of two server power supplies wired to provide 24v an 47a for $110.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've been racing for about 25 years and started on Tekin chargers (Now that's dating myself). I have run everything from the expensive competition electronics chargers to the Orion Touch, LRP, etc. I have used AC/DC and DC only chargers. I currently run the icharger 4010 duo and a server power supply I found on ebay for $60 (type rc power supply in to the search engine on ebay. RL has 75 amp supplies).

If I had to recommend something to someone it would be the icharger 406 duo (about $280) and the RL power supply. I bought the 4010 duo instead of the 406 because I got it for the same price. The 406 duo with that power supply will easily charge 2, 2s lipos at 40 amps each. I am not here to talk about the higher charging rates and benefits/drawbacks, just that this setup can do it. I recommend this because there isn't anything this combo can't do. This charger has multiple car memory and cycle features, which will suit any demand you have. It's about $360 or so (look in the for sale section on here and maybe score a deal) but this combo really is the best when it comes to features, albeit doesn't have a touch screen. I shy away from AC/DC chargers because one half of that system can go down and you're done. In the past, any issues I've had with those chargers was the power supply going bad. Having a separate power supply may help you in the future. Plus I also rigged up a USB charger to plug in to my power supply to charge my phone and such at the track.

Another feature of the icharger is its ability to do regenerative charging and discharging. This allows you to plug in a discharger and discharge your batteries at higher rates, which is something hardcore spec class racers do. I use that feature and the storage setting to get my lipos to a safe storage voltage faster. With a 5 or 10 amp discharge rate on most other chargers, this takes a while. Another benefit of having higher charge rates is when you aren't paying attention and forget to charge your batteries. Dumping 40 amps in to a battery will get it charged pretty quickly.
zipperfoot and SickNT760 like this.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

I want a charger can do 4 at onces
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadMick View Post
Look at the Revoletrix Cellpro6. With my 24v power supply I can charge six 4s packs at once easily. That charger setup is probably the best RC purchase I have ever made.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have this

"The Neutrino Ticket" 350W Combo - ProgressiveRC

Works great and will charge a 2s battery in 10-12 mins. A 4s in 15-19 mins. Small inexpensive and high quality.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
Thanks Chris. Appreciate the information. It really does sound like the 406 Duo is the way to go. I wonder if it matters that much if I go down one model and get the 308? Haven't been able to find any comparisons of the two models.
The 308 can only charge up to 30 amps. The numbering of the chargers has meaning. For instance: the 406 can charge 6s batteries at up to 40 amps wheres the 4010 can do 10s up to 40 amps. I understand you say you don't charge at higher amps but I would say get the 406 for the piece of mind that you should never need another charger.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:11 PM
dtr
Tech Master

For a good DC charger get the Revolectrix GT1000DUO, that has all the power ([email protected] per channel) and precision you need with two channels. It's a steal now at 135$.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 277 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadMick View Post
So you don't want to give your motor a chance to cool off by running 4 packs one right after the other???
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 277 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
I am now considering the Junsi 308 duo. A little cheaper, more than I need, but seems to be a reliable charger. This is the third time someone mentioned the iCharger, and at two different tracks in two different states. Seems to be a reliable charger I guess.
Just make sure you buy it thru a reputable dealer cause no one else will repair these things except Junsi and they won't repair it if you didn't buy it thru them/dealer.
I have (2) of the Elan R chargers and love them. Only one output but does 15a on in internal power supply. @ yrs. and running with no issues. Also has the USB port for charging purposes too. Can also be run on an external power supply IF the internal one would fail so it's still usable. They also offer a dual output model as well.
EJ2civic likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.