Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

Tekin Servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I remember the days where every kit came with about 50 shims and spacers for fitting every single variation of servo. I guess most kits don't account for that any more. Not sure how you scratching the case with a screwdriver is the manufacturers fault?
TweakedTad likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by cjcoffroad
I remember the days where every kit came with about 50 shims and spacers for fitting every single variation of servo. I guess most kits don't account for that any more. Not sure how you scratching the case with a screwdriver is the manufacturers fault?
Since you like them so much how about I sell you mine for a great price!!! But you probably don’t want them because “I” scratched the case and all. Also good luck getting a new case.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mickey_B

Actually I just read the box,so yeah guess I’m really smart. Some of the other give aways were the aluminum and hard coating. The metal is really soft and if you barely touch the case it leaves a scratch.

Now its great that your open to feedback and willing to change future designs. However, that does not really help me for my current situation. Not really wanting to bash the product, but when you pay a large amount money for a high end product. You expect the fit, finish, and quality to follow or at the very least good support.

Intreasting story is I bought a of set of FOX shock bodies from AE. Could not get the end caps to screw on because the machining was not correct. So I called AE see if they would do anything. To my surprise the customer service rep was like that’s odd never heard of that. Tell you what, we will send you a new set with caps and bodies and return envelope for you to send back the bad ones. That way are engineering team can take a look at them. To my surprise, I was pretty amazed at the level of care and support. Nevertheless, might be one of the reasons why they are an industry leader in the rc scene.

We're not bashing anything, we're having a conversation about your experience with our product. There's no need to get defensive at all. You have my attention. As you're aware there are indeed various types of alloys all with their own characteristics. Is the servo working for you in the current car? What car is it? I can reach out to our team and make sure we're not missing something or there's some information we can get to you to improve this issue.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)
Default Losi inserts or tight horns

This has help me with any horn just lightly squeezing and move up and down
Attached Thumbnails Tekin Servos-20190105_191453.jpg  
mushroomed likes this.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

would any of the common dry lubricants help with removal?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Intreasting story is I bought a of set of FOX shock bodies from AE. Could not get the end caps to screw on because the machining was not correct. So I called AE see if they would do anything. To my surprise the customer service rep was like that’s odd never heard of that. Tell you what, we will send you a new set with caps and bodies and return envelope for you to send back the bad ones. That way are engineering team can take a look at them. To my surprise, I was pretty amazed at the level of care and support. Nevertheless, might be one of the reasons why they are an industry leader in the rc scene.
That's an apples versus oranges comparison. A set of kashimas has a very specific application. There were obvious machining issues, and it makes sense that associated sent out replacement parts.

In this case, maybe the case is a touch soft. Could you explain how this affected the on-track performance of the servo? Also, why couldn't you use shims and spacers to fit the servo to your 8ight? Tekin needs to produce a product to fit a wide range of applications, that's just reality.

I don't run for tekin. I'm just wondering what axe you're trying to grind.....
Old 01-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 071crazy
That's an apples versus oranges comparison. A set of kashimas has a very specific application. There were obvious machining issues, and it makes sense that associated sent out replacement parts.

In this case, maybe the case is a touch soft. Could you explain how this affected the on-track performance of the servo? Also, why couldn't you use shims and spacers to fit the servo to your 8ight? Tekin needs to produce a product to fit a wide range of applications, that's just reality.

I don't run for tekin. I'm just wondering what axe you're trying to grind.....
As for your apples to oranges comment, I was referring more to the customer support side of things, in that they actually believed me that there was a problem, provided a real solution and took action. They could have easily said just torque them on with a set pliers. It’s business 101, meeting and understanding the needs of your customer.

As for the Tekin’s there are some real issues with the servo spline. Either way they are not being machined correctly or they were not engineered\designed properly. I can take the several 25t servo horns and slide them on and of a Savox with no issue. Not the case with Tekin, as I know once I put it on it will be a nightmare to remove. At the end of the day you should not have to use pliers, wire cutters or some other crazy method to take a servo horn off. Never had to with a Savox, KO, or Futaba.

On track performance is not impacted by soft touch case, but nonetheless they do need to improve the anodizing on the case. Also not sure what grade aluminum they are using but I have noticed it does seem softer than on my KOs. More of a nice to have then must.

Shiming is not an issue and has more to do with the tabs on the servo. They are of smaller length and closer to the case, thus when I mounted in my Losi the screws were not actually going through the hole. If you wanted to run rubber grouments you could not because the screws are on the edge. I will post picture to show you exacty what I mean.

Lastly, I understand this is Tekin’s first foray into the servo market. So to a degree I expect them to have some minor issues, but the spline and tab issue are in my mind major and need to be addressed at the design and engineering level.
sawzall likes this.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Legend

As for the Tekin’s there are some real issues with the servo spline. Either way they are not being machined correctly or they were not engineered\designed properly. I can take the several 25t servo horns and slide them on and of a Savox with no issue. Not the case with Tekin, as I know once I put it on it will be a nightmare to remove.

based on some things I have read looking at the JQ Racing line up of servo horns, they seem to have 2 versions of basically the same horn as far as spline count, one for a futaba specific servo, and one that works for futaba / savox.

Since they are both 25T spine, when asking the question about fitment, it was mentioned that the savox is possibly slightly "bigger" than the Futaba. I wonder if some of the tightness seen could be a similar type of fitment that the savox has? JQ Racing noticed it enough to have 2 types of horns.

Are you able to pull a diameter on the spline from the Tekin and if you have available a savox, can do the same? If not, let us know the diameter of the Tekin spline you are seeing and I'll compare it to the futaba and savox servos I have here as well as protek ones (Protek one recently was reported to fit "loose" on the savox specific JQ racing horns)

When I get in my Tekin servos I'll give the dry lube a try to see if that helps at all.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Got my new T-300 servo back from Tekin and put it on my D817. The HB horn fit well. Its a tight fit, but wasn't hard to push on.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RePeTe
Got my new T-300 servo back from Tekin and put it on my D817. The HB horn fit well. Its a tight fit, but wasn't hard to push on.
Just curious, why did you send it in?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just curious, why did you send it in?
It never worked from the package. Was intermittent in its operation. I also scratched the case on it when using the included aluminum horn. The new one works fine on the bench, so I put it as steering on my buggy. The HB horn went on much easier than the included tekin horn.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RePeTe
It never worked from the package. Was intermittent in its operation. I also scratched the case on it when using the included aluminum horn. The new one works fine on the bench, so I put it as steering on my buggy. The HB horn went on much easier than the included tekin horn.
Thats good to hear, the Tekin horn went on good for me. I was really happy about that then I connected everything up in the 8ight X and the linkage was rubbing. So couldn’t use it.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default Futaba SR mode

I have 2 of the excellent T120 low profile servos and I am looking at getting the new Futaba 7XC transmitter. It has a Super Response mode with a very low response time. Does anyone know if the T120 Tekin servos are safe to use with this SR mode or might it damage them?
Cain likes this.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Tech Legend

Got to use the T-180 servos in my Yokomo YZ2CAL2 and the YZ4Sf. conditions are ozite grey carpet, traction probably medium in comparison to other carpets and its a bit bumpy underneath.

Previous servos were Protek 160Ts and the futaba S9372sv powerhouses.

running on 7.4V using the new Tekin RSX Pro escs they worked quite well. I really liked how well they centered and I think due to the case and ear design they seemed to stay a bit more true to how they tracked on impacts, maybe due to the ear design not flexing.

For horns I used yokomo horns and they fit well, nothing odd with tightness etc.

considering the servos they were replacing had specs higher than these, I felt these worked very well. I am looking forward to trying out the T-250s in my other vehicles (1/10 stadium and 1/8 nitro and e buggy).

as these can be programmed, any recommendations for some programming settings on these servos for the 1/10 buggy classes?
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I have 2 of the excellent T120 low profile servos and I am looking at getting the new Futaba 7XC transmitter. It has a Super Response mode with a very low response time. Does anyone know if the T120 Tekin servos are safe to use with this SR mode or might it damage them?
It will not damage the servo. But understand that some of these new proprietary modes do not work with a typical expected signal range. The Sanwa for example shifts the signal range around and narrows the band to increase the felt "speed" of the system. I have not tested the 7px's mode so can't tell you for sure.

This is why some servos which are programmable do somewhat goofy things when they see a signal out of range on another radio manufacturers "speed/fast" signal range. The Company XYZ's at first wouldn't work on certain Futaba radios if memory serves me without powering on the car first, radio second. The KO servo would go into programming mode and simply not respond to any inputs until the power was cycled. (Name left out on purpose).

We can handle any speed of signal being sent out assuming it's within expected industry standard signal ranges.
Cain, dvaid852456 and mushroomed like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.