Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlashBash10

Team Powers Actium V2 17.5t

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Team Powers Actium V2 17.5t

Anyone have any experience with these motors? I'm given to understand that they run very hot/high RPM and need to be geared conservatively. Checked out their web site, lots of (pricey) options for these motors, things like tuning rotors and "advanced" end-caps.

What's the deal?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got one and MAN ITS FAST. Easily feels like a tuned down mod motor. If you get one of the updated motors, they have an extra 10* of timing built in. So 40* on the old v2 would be equivalent to 50* on the new v2. That may be why you were told that they run hot. People are actually just running more timing. Mine come off at 152 after a 6 min main w/o a fan, 123 with a fan. I am geared 29/69 for a smaller track with 43* on its end bell. This motor is very fast, and 95% of people at my track run it for 17.5 buggy.
loaba likes this.

Last edited by SlashBash10; 07-13-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loaba
Anyone have any experience with these motors? I'm given to understand that they run very hot/high RPM and need to be geared conservatively. Checked out their web site, lots of (pricey) options for these motors, things like tuning rotors and "advanced" end-caps.

What's the deal?
Been running the V2 since they came out - the track where I run is the US distributor for Team Powers. I've also talked a lot with their motor guy about the differences between the V1 and V2. He mentioned the rotor is more sensitive to heat, and suggested keeping a fan on the motor.

The V2 is really fast compared to the V1. The timing on the can was close to the timing I get off the motor analyzer. I initially tried timing at 50 degrees plus with a lower gear ratio, but a couple of racers ( faster than me ) suggested I drop the timing to 40 and run a higher FDR - it works and I get more pop off the turns in the infield. I run a fan and heat has never been a problem - I think max temp I have seen is 145 - 150F, typically it is lower. I'm still really impressed with this motor.

FYI - the sensor board is different in the V1 and the V2 - the V1 works in a V2, but the timing on the V1 board is about 15 degrees higher than the V2
Old 07-14-2017, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

First, thanks for the great info! This is precisely what I was looking for.

I'm currently running a TP Radon Sport V1. How would this motor respond to that ESC and probably zero to minimal degrees timing?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Acquired a used Actinium V2 17.5t. If anyone is curious, the stock rotor is 12.5mm. What I can't confirm is the stock timing setting. I know that the guy I bought it from likes to get as much power as possible, so I'm pretty sure he advanced the timing (32°). Stock picture of the motor shows something more like 12°.

Right now, I am not a super-aggressive driver and I don't push the electronics as a result. So really, even with advanced timing I doubt I'd overheat the motor.

What are the thoughts here? Leave it at 32° or move back to what I think is 12° stock?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loaba
Acquired a used Actinium V2 17.5t. If anyone is curious, the stock rotor is 12.5mm. What I can't confirm is the stock timing setting. I know that the guy I bought it from likes to get as much power as possible, so I'm pretty sure he advanced the timing (32°). Stock picture of the motor shows something more like 12°.

Right now, I am not a super-aggressive driver and I don't push the electronics as a result. So really, even with advanced timing I doubt I'd overheat the motor.

What are the thoughts here? Leave it at 32° or move back to what I think is 12° stock?
Unless the motor is running hot or running poorly, I would keep the timing where it's at. I'll take all the extra power I can get in 17.5 classes so the higher I gear or the more timing I can run just makes getting around the track easier.