Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
best crimp tool for servo rc plug >

best crimp tool for servo rc plug

Like Tree9Likes

best crimp tool for servo rc plug

Old 06-27-2017, 03:11 AM
Tech Adept

Default best crimp tool for servo rc plug

I want to shorten the servo esc wire, want to know who makes the best, the neatest result crimp tool for our application?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Purchased this blue one and though it's a bit pricey, well worth the bucks. Works great! They also have all kinds of connectors too.

Hansen Hobbies - Connectors and Accessories
Motorman007 likes this.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

I have tried one like that. They don't crimp as good as the original cable from factory. I am wondering what is the manufacture using for crimping?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hansen is by far the best. With a little practice, connectors come out as good as they came from the factory. Super easy too.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smashrc View Post
I have tried one like that. They don't crimp as good as the original cable from factory. I am wondering what is the manufacture using for crimping?
There are some that "Look" like this but don't work the same.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smashrc View Post
I have the Hansen kit and the red (cheaper) crimp tool.

If you do it correctly, it makes a very good crimp. I strength tested one and the wires broke outside of the connector before the crimp let go.

Mfgs use machines for crimping. Hansen kit is the best option available, just put some muscle into it!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I've always gotten away with a nice pair of needle nose, and just a hint of solder. If you have good eyes, and steady hands, should be no problem.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been using this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...ping-tool.html
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Old thread revival.

I need a crimping tool but it won't be used often so I don't want to spend too much on it. I need it to work but not last me forever, as 6 months of tradie use would be a lifetime for me.

This one looks like it would work well for JST plugs, but it doesn't look like you can change the jaws to do bigger wires, which would be useful for uses other than RC
https://www.banggood.com/SN-01BM-Terminal-Wire-Cable-Crimping-Pliers-Tool-for-Dupont-PH2-0-XH2-54-AMG28-20-KF2510-JST-p-1301387.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

This one can take extra jaws which is great, but it only mentions Dupont and not the JST etc connectors - is there any real difference between the tool you need for different connectors?
https://www.banggood.com/COLORS-SN-28B-Pin-Crimping-Tool-Crimping-Plier-Spring-Clamp-28-18AWG-Crimper-0_1-1_0mm2-Square-p-1249161.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I like the bottom option because it can take all these extra jaws
https://www.banggood.com/search/crim...aws.html?sbc=1

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Why not open the servo, unsolder the wires, shorten and strip them and resolder them again to the PCB.

Much simpler!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

no a easy task soldering servo wires to board on servo. much easier to cut and crimp wires.I never did this I just soldered on a new rx plug
Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Why not open the servo, unsolder the wires, shorten and strip them and resolder them again to the PCB.

Much simpler!
That would be easier if I was shortening servo leads. I need to make new leads and add plugs to some stuff. My son is making an RC tank from scratch (sort of) which is going to need some wires made up too.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

Much simpler!
99.99% of hobbyists don't have the correct equipment to do that.

I have the Hansen blue crimper. It's certainly not high end tool, but it works okay.

I imagine one of those bangood ones will work well, not sure which one. I can measure the jaws on mine if it would help.
Andy Koback and jgil089 like this.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
For a servo the only tools needed are a screwdriver, wire cutters and a soldering iron. If you want to keep the factory crimped connector, that is the way to go.

I've also used the hobbyking crimper and stripping tool and they work fine for crimping but I don't think that their plastic connectors are as good as factory futaba/airtronics plugs.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
That would be easier if I was shortening servo leads. I need to make new leads and add plugs to some stuff. My son is making an RC tank from scratch (sort of) which is going to need some wires made up too.
You can get fresh wires with 1 plug or extension wires up to 1 meter. I always buy 1 meter extension wires with silicone wires and cut off what I need. Last I made a fresh receiver battery with one side of the wire and a charging cable with the other end.

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You think? I think the chance that people have a solder iron is much higher than that they have a crimp tool.... And a good krimp tool is very expensive, for sure if you do not use it that much

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
no a easy task soldering servo wires to board on servo. much easier to cut and crimp wires.I never did this I just soldered on a new rx plug
Soldering wires to a PCB is very easy, you only need some desoldering wire to open up the PCB holes
And when you open the servo you can close it with the use of an extra sealing ot kit to make it better water tight.
Untitled Document

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service