Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

best crimp tool for servo rc plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You also need method to remove solder, and equipment to deal with any potting compound, epoxy or conformal coating. Also need ESD workstation. Solder wick or a pump extractor don't work very well.

imo it's way easier to just install new connector.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess my question should have been "does it matter what it says the tool is for or will they work for all types of plugs that take the same size wire"

One says it does Dupont PH2.0 XH2.54 KF2510 JST Molex S-Sub terminals
While the other just says Dupont

To me the jaws look the same on both and its not like Banggood to have the best product descriptions in the world.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slo_E4
I've always gotten away with a nice pair of needle nose, and just a hint of solder. If you have good eyes, and steady hands, should be no problem.
I just use my needle nose pliers and a drop of solder... And I mean a drop.... If you use to. Much it will wick into the connector and it'll be useless
Slashripper likes this.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Why not open the servo, unsolder the wires, shorten and strip them and resolder them again to the PCB.

Much simpler!
I tried that on my Savox. It was not an easy job as the solder pads were hidden behind the motor unit, and just opening the case was difficult because of the way the tabs internally grab the motor unit.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

I have been using the Hansen Deluxe crimper and using it a lot lately. I have a more more airplanes and helicopters than I do cars. I think it does an ok job but the process does take some practice. There is a recent thread on Helifreak and one guy in particular who is "passionate" (to say the least) about crimps and crimping tools. I will leave it for those interested to take a look.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=818763 (and I thought I over-answer things)
scroll down to post #12. He recommends the HT-0095 which (if you can believe it) costs $1600.00 There are photos and such if you have the patience to read through it .
I think for most of us the Hansen crimper is good enough and at $35 or so, reasonable.
Dave_S and jgil089 like this.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I have been using the Hansen Deluxe crimper and using it a lot lately. I have a more more airplanes and helicopters than I do cars. I think it does an ok job but the process does take some practice. There is a recent thread on Helifreak and one guy in particular who is "passionate" (to say the least) about crimps and crimping tools. I will leave it for those interested to take a look.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=818763 (and I thought I over-answer things)
scroll down to post #12. He recommends the HT-0095 which (if you can believe it) costs $1600.00 There are photos and such if you have the patience to read through it .
I think for most of us the Hansen crimper is good enough and at $35 or so, reasonable.
Thanks for that, had a quick scroll through and it looks like the Dupont crimpers aren't compatible with the newer style. Unfortunately thats me reading between the lines and making assumptions, rather than hearing it from someone who actually knows.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jgil089
Thanks for that, had a quick scroll through and it looks like the Dupont crimpers aren't compatible with the newer style. Unfortunately thats me reading between the lines and making assumptions, rather than hearing it from someone who actually knows.
well that isn't me. I really didn't have the patience to wade through all of it. Did you notice they reference an even longer thread? I guess if you really won't to know, you will have to ask over on HF for clarification. Like I said to start, I just use the Hansen crimper. Ignorance was bliss.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Look for "crimp tool pa-09". Most versatile and affordable crimp tool I know. With a little practice you can crimp like a pro. Works for different sizes, too.
Andreas
Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This one works well:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...ping-tool.html
jgil089 likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

I found a used protek on here and it works great
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

I have the crimp tool from Hobbyking, which is the same as the $11 Banggood tool linked above. It works great. Crimping these connectors isn't exactly rocket science. At work I use very expensive calibrated crimpers for the job, but at home the HK crimp tool gives me the same results as long as I take my time to make sure that I have the pin and wire in the right spot.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I have the crimp tool from Hobbyking, which is the same as the $11 Banggood tool linked above. It works great. Crimping these connectors isn't exactly rocket science. At work I use very expensive calibrated crimpers for the job, but at home the HK crimp tool gives me the same results as long as I take my time to make sure that I have the pin and wire in the right spot.
Thanks for that. I've ordered the Banggood one - as you say it looks to the the same one that Hobbyking sell but I find Banggood better to deal with that Hobbyking.