Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Use a drill batery for RC boat? >

Use a drill batery for RC boat?

Like Tree7Likes

Use a drill batery for RC boat?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Use a drill batery for RC boat?

My fellow hobbyists,

I am currently building a RC boat from scratch with my brother.

At the moment, we bought a lot of components but are still looking for the right battery.

Our dad has a lot of drill batteries which we are allowed to use in our RC boat. I'm stuck with the question whether it is possible to use one of those drill batteries.

Based on following information:

This will be our circuit setup:
- Battery connected to ESC
- ESC connected to brushless motor
- ESC is controlled by an Arduino
- Maybe use some resistors to limit the Amps going through the connection with the ESC

-The ESC can take maximum a constant current of 60 Amp and burst currents of 80 Amp.

-The motor can take a maximum of 13V and 42Amps and has a resistance of 0.0155 Ohm.

Our idea is as follows: we want to limit the possible Amps in the Battery-ESC circuit to an 12V, so that the maximum possible Amp going
through is 12V (motor limit is 13V).

We can chose between drill batteries of 18V or 14.4V (Makita batteries).
But since we do not know a lot about these drill batteries (and if they have internal software), we came here to ask somebody for some critical input. We don't want to damage components/battery.

Our boat would be built in such way that it can carries the battery, so it wouldn't sink .

Do you think we can use this drill batteries?
Attached Thumbnails Use a drill batery for RC boat?-battery.jpg   Use a drill batery for RC boat?-esc.jpg   Use a drill batery for RC boat?-motor.jpg   Use a drill batery for RC boat?-specs-esc.png   Use a drill batery for RC boat?-specs-motor.png  

Old 06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lot of batteries from drills are lipo batteries ... But I would just go on Hobby King and find a proper battery to match what you want to do and whatever fits your boat dimension wise. They have very affordable batteries that I have never had a problem with. I've had the odd one die after a while but for the price of them you can get three or four for what you might pay for a brand-name one from a hobby store ... Better than no you have the right thing in my opinion. Though I'm not in electronics expert you sound like you know more than me probably. But why risk it?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RC Fanatic20
A lot of batteries from drills are lipo batteries ... But I would just go on Hobby King and find a proper battery to match what you want to do and whatever fits your boat dimension wise. They have very affordable batteries that I have never had a problem with. I've had the odd one die after a while but for the price of them you can get three or four for what you might pay for a brand-name one from a hobby store ... Better than no you have the right thing in my opinion. Though I'm not in electronics expert you sound like you know more than me probably. But why risk it?
@RC Fanatic20

I would say I know enough about electrical circuits but I'm not familiar with the RC model world.

Would it be bad to use lipo batteries for a RC boat ?
Which kind of batteries are better for such situations ?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't personally race electric boats, but from what I've seen they're all using Lipo batteries. The drill batteries may not be rated for the kind of current an electric boat would draw.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

You need a high current battery for boats, most of the time you are wide open, and don't expect long run time ether.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
I don't personally race electric boats, but from what I've seen they're all using Lipo batteries. The drill batteries may not be rated for the kind of current an electric boat would draw.
Our goal for the moment is just to build a boat that moves

So we will try it out and sees what happens.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
You need a high current battery for boats, most of the time you are wide open, and don't expect long run time ether.
We had an electric brushless motor laying around, which requires max 13V or 42 Amps and the drill battery has a load of 18V, so we are going to have to play with some resistors to achieve our goal.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mathieu2400
Our goal for the moment is just to build a boat that moves

So we will try it out and sees what happens.
Tbh, with how cheap proper RC lipo batteries are these days, I don't think it's worth it to take a chance with the drill batteries. If the motor asks too much from the battery, you could be looking at a little boat fire on the water lol.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Tbh, with how cheap proper RC lipo batteries are these days, I don't think it's worth it to take a chance with the drill batteries. If the motor asks too much from the battery, you could be looking at a little boat fire on the water lol.
I know it's true that there are plenty of proper RC lipo batteries out there.

But do you think it's possible the motor will ask too much from the battery ?
Like I see it, the drill battery is much more powerful than those cheap proper RC lipo batteries? I could be wrong, but I'm convinced that this drill battery is really powerfull ?

Why would a RC battery be better than ?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I know it's true that there are plenty of proper RC lipo batteries out there.

But do you think it's possible the motor will ask too much from the battery ?
Like I see it, the drill battery is much more powerful than those cheap proper RC lipo batteries? I could be wrong, but I'm convinced that this drill battery is really powerfull ?

Why would a RC battery be better than ?
I guess I can't really provide an educated answer to that lol. But in RC, batteries have a listed discharge rating and without that info on the drill batteries, I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it in a boat.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

@RC Fanatic20

I would say I know enough about electrical circuits but I'm not familiar with the RC model world.

Would it be bad to use lipo batteries for a RC boat ?
Which kind of batteries are better for such situations ?
As others have said absolutely not a bad idea, they are the common battery these days. I'm not really sure what battery to recommend to you because I don't have boats myself and I don't really know what would match your electronics and boat size the best but you could look up some of the boats that Traxxas makes and pro boats makes ... Compare the electronic systems that they are running in a given boat to what you are and then see what battery they're using and find a battery of that similar cell count and overall milliamps. I would say that's a safe way to go. I think as I mentioned hobby can sells a lot of batteries that are very good quality super cheap. And they have warehouse is in the USA So you can get shipped directly to your door for pretty cheap
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Like with the electronics you have the comparable to what's in this? Take a look at this one and some other other models and you could probably find out what matches. The speed controller and this seems to be a bit bigger than what you have but you don't really list what motor you have specifica like with the electronics you have the comparable to what's in this? Take a look at this one and some other other models and you could probably find out what matches. The speed controller and this seems to be a bit bigger than what you have but like I said sift through the models and you will see the differences in Electronics as a guideline

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB08008
mathieu2400 likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Using resistors to limit voltage in a high current load like this is a terrible idea.
Bud and mathieu2400 like this.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I didn't even address the resistor issue...youll be needing some mighty high wattage resistors...you may spend on those the same as a cheap proper Lipo.
mathieu2400 likes this.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Guys, I decided for the sake of safety to buy a LiPo battery pack.

Both my ESC and battery support 2S-4S LiPo battery packs, so I'm gonna go with a 3S battery pack.

I've been said that I have to chose a battery that can support a higher current rating than the peak current draw of the motor, is that true?
If my motor supports a max of 42 Amps, do I need a battery pack that can support higher peaks or isn't that necessary ?
(would I break the motor because it only supports 42 Amps?)

If that's true, I think I will go with a 5000 mAh, 3S, 10C battery pack.

Suppose my average current draw is 20A -> 20*(15min./60min.) = 5.0Ah or 5000mAh,
it will last 15 minutes.

The maximum current I can draw is 10C * 5000mAh = 50 Ampere.
(that is higher than the 42 Amps my motor can draw max, but wouldn't it break the motor?
Or do I have to limit the amount of Amps going through my ESC to the motor to a limit of say 30 Amps for safety?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.