Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

LRP Bankrupt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am like "oh well" I have a flow works team and while is been great, I don't think is $189 great... I ran Durango cars and they disappear, now LRP is on its last breath... Most likely they will get bought out by another company or get the investors needed, specially if the whole company is worth millions.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ta_man
Well, since you ask the questions of me regarding my levels of sympathy, I will answer:

I do not at all feel bad about the bankruptcy of a company that lies about even one product (then makes excuses for the lie) and provides poor customer service. There was no need for them to claim that they had an oversized front bearing in the motor when they did not. No one forced them to lie. They did it because they wanted to make money and they thought having this as a point of description on their motor might sell more than if they didn't include that point.

Regarding the customer service, when I called to ask about the size of the bearing (I was actually calling to ask if there was some mistake in assembly of the motor since the one I had did not match the description of the product) the agent told me two things: 1) They chose to use that small bearing to "save weight". That is not a tradeoff any other motor company makes so I don't believe that was the motivation. 2) I asked if I could buy another endbell so I could modify it to take a larger bearing (I didn't want to modify the one on the motor without a spare in case I messed up). They refused to even sell me a replacement part.

So no, I do not feel bad for the company.

Regarding feeling bad for the people losing their jobs, in deciding who to feel bad for I would first consider the range of suffering in the world as a whole before I expend emotional energy feeling bad for some people losing their jobs at a company that makes recreational products (essentially, toys). Compared to the many in Africa suffering various diseases that could be easily cured with the proper drugs or prevented with the proper vaccines (which some peoples refuse because it is against their religion), losing a job at a "toy" company pales into insignificance. I am sure that not everyone at that company bears responsibility for the misrepresentation in pursuit of greater sales just as I am sure there are other people in the world more deserving of my sympathy for various assorted reasons. That said, I will admit to having greater concern for the well-being of my immediate family, then my friends, then my acquaintances, then the public service employees close to home, and so on down the line. Being as LRP employees are after the suffering multitudes in Africa, they are not near the top of my list.

BTW, it's not just the suffering multitudes in Africa ahead of the LRP employees, There's also the many people living under totalitarian governments, the women in the middle east that suffer cultural discrimination, the people of China being affected by extreme pollution from their industries burning large amounts of coal and so on and so on and so on...

So given the level of suffering in the world and the fact that those LRP employees at least once had jobs (indicating some basic skills they might apply toward getting another job), I'm not feeling sorry for them, as opposed to any one else for whom I would generate angst. Nor do I feel the need to apologize for them not being at the top of my "feeling sorry for" list.
I expected you to be some kind of idiot after reading your first post, turns out you are not.

I still think it is way too harsh and black/white to be glad a company goes bankrupt because YOU had bad experiences with them. This confuses me even more because the latter part of your post shows you are not only concerned with yourself.

As for the 'level of sympathy' part, while I completely agree with the things you wrote about having sympathy for the lesser priviliged in this world, I think it is completely beside the point. It's all about perspective. An RC company going bankrupt is not the end of the world, but that doesn't mean you can't feel some sympathy. If it really does all burn down, I'm sure they'll all find new jobs but will it be with an RC company? Last time I checked this industry isn't exactly littered with jobs (especially in Europe), so I'm sure a few people will be devastated if LRP shuts down.

I applaud you for thinking about the bigger picture in life and in this world, I just think we should be comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Reedy gutted LRP in the US market when they released their ESC's. Simply by their affiliation with AE. Is that a direct result of what's going on now with LRP, I have no idea. What I can tell you is that LRP hasn't even been a blip on the ESC radar for well over 2 years, not locally anyway. They missed the technology wave in ESC's and got washed away by the competition, IMO.

The industry itself won't suffer if LRP goes away.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I think this somewhat misrepresents what I said:
Originally Posted by Fearo
I still think it is way too harsh and black/white to be glad a company goes bankrupt because YOU had bad experiences with them. This confuses me even more because the latter part of your post shows you are not only concerned with yourself.
I did not say I was "GLAD" they were going bankrupt, I said I did not feel sorry for them. To me, at least, there is a wide gap between feeling glad and not feeling sorry.

At 66 years of age, I am not part of the "Me, Me, Me" generation and did not intend to convey that I felt that I was the only person who received a product not as described. Admittedly, I mentioned a motor I bought, but I do not believe my experience is unique in getting a product that was misrepresented. I seriously doubt they made just one motor with a small bearing to sell to me and all the others were as described in their literature.

That said, it may well be I am the only one who noticed the issue for two reasons: 1) Not many people take apart new motors to look inside, 2) I don't expect they sold all that many of these to begin with.

Also I did not intend to convey that only MY Slash had bigger wheel bearings - ALL Slashes have bigger wheel bearings than the output shaft bearing in that motor. Saying "My Slash" was a figure of speech.

While I later related a less than satisfactory interaction with their customer service, I did not think that was unique to me. I remember from another forum (HobbyTalk) some years ago many people complaining about LRP's customer service. I know it is true that it is the people with unsatisfactory experiences are the ones that post most often, but I did not see the same level of complaints regarding Novak's customer service. Novak's products were more widely used in than time frame than LRP's. The opposite in fact: People tended to praise Novak's customer service at that same time that others were complaining about LRP's. So I do not think it is just "me" that had this unsatisfactory experience.

As for the 'level of sympathy' part, while I completely agree with the things you wrote about having sympathy for the lesser priviliged in this world, I think it is completely beside the point. It's all about perspective. An RC company going bankrupt is not the end of the world, but that doesn't mean you can't feel some sympathy. If it really does all burn down, I'm sure they'll all find new jobs but will it be with an RC company? Last time I checked this industry isn't exactly littered with jobs (especially in Europe), so I'm sure a few people will be devastated if LRP shuts down.

I applaud you for thinking about the bigger picture in life and in this world, I just think we should be comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Regarding the LRP employees getting jobs, I would not expect them to focus only on the [small] RC industry. I do not expect that any of their employees got education only in RC Engineering - I doubt there is such a training course or degree. They probably all have some training and skills that could be applied to other businesses.

That said, I wold NOT suggest their customer service reps get other customer service job without some retraining. Nor would I suggest that the engineer who speced a 5X10 bearing for the output shaft of that motor get a job designing any critical infrastructure or transportation vehicles.

You may have felt it was not an apples to apples comparison, but my point was there are far more important things to have sympathy for than a toy company (and a relatively small one, judging by their product prevalence) going bankrupt.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm curious to hear the experiences of guys that used the LRP flow works versus more newer ESC's with a ton of setting changes available ... how much quicker they were... e.g if you moved onto something like HW XR10 pro etc

I still know some of the fastest guys in TC locally are still using the LRP flow or newer X.
Bondo likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ta_man
I think this somewhat misrepresents what I said:

I did not say I was "GLAD" they were going bankrupt, I said I did not feel sorry for them. To me, at least, there is a wide gap between feeling glad and not feeling sorry.

At 66 years of age, I am not part of the "Me, Me, Me" generation and did not intend to convey that I felt that I was the only person who received a product not as described. Admittedly, I mentioned a motor I bought, but I do not believe my experience is unique in getting a product that was misrepresented. I seriously doubt they made just one motor with a small bearing to sell to me and all the others were as described in their literature.

That said, it may well be I am the only one who noticed the issue for two reasons: 1) Not many people take apart new motors to look inside, 2) I don't expect they sold all that many of these to begin with.

Also I did not intend to convey that only MY Slash had bigger wheel bearings - ALL Slashes have bigger wheel bearings than the output shaft bearing in that motor. Saying "My Slash" was a figure of speech.

While I later related a less than satisfactory interaction with their customer service, I did not think that was unique to me. I remember from another forum (HobbyTalk) some years ago many people complaining about LRP's customer service. I know it is true that it is the people with unsatisfactory experiences are the ones that post most often, but I did not see the same level of complaints regarding Novak's customer service. Novak's products were more widely used in than time frame than LRP's. The opposite in fact: People tended to praise Novak's customer service at that same time that others were complaining about LRP's. So I do not think it is just "me" that had this unsatisfactory experience.

Regarding the LRP employees getting jobs, I would not expect them to focus only on the [small] RC industry. I do not expect that any of their employees got education only in RC Engineering - I doubt there is such a training course or degree. They probably all have some training and skills that could be applied to other businesses.

That said, I wold NOT suggest their customer service reps get other customer service job without some retraining. Nor would I suggest that the engineer who speced a 5X10 bearing for the output shaft of that motor get a job designing any critical infrastructure or transportation vehicles.

You may have felt it was not an apples to apples comparison, but my point was there are far more important things to have sympathy for than a toy company (and a relatively small one, judging by their product prevalence) going bankrupt.
Fair enough, it seems that your bad experience with the company reached further than I could sense from your first post. Though my point about 'perspective' still stands. I'm sure we could find people that have used LRP for years and have nothing but good to say about the company.

I have very little experience with LRP so I can't really add anything personal, I just think an incredibly small industry like RC will always be better off with more companies, more jobs, more sponsorship opportunities, etc.
And unless a company is clearly scamming people, personal (bad) experiences with a company are just that, personal.
silden likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djchow85
I'm curious to hear the experiences of guys that used the LRP flow works versus more newer ESC's with a ton of setting changes available ... how much quicker they were... e.g if you moved onto something like HW XR10 pro etc

I still know some of the fastest guys in TC locally are still using the LRP flow or newer X.
Exactly, top guys always on top no matter what speedo they using

Btw, is not like LRP got multiple ETS championships? Or current WC TC title?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Errrrr, ok...

In the last couple of days, more like 01-06-2017 LRPO released the new X22 motors...

They talk about: 4x10x4 ABEC-5 bearings...

-So who is lying about LRP closing?

New LRP X22 Modified high-end motors available now! | News | LRP Home
Old 06-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I expected you to be some kind of idiot after reading your first post, turns out you are not.

I agree it is sad to see a business go under. I tend to disagree with the baby boomer somewhat implying that their generation is not the me, me, me generation, when actual it is the me, me, me generation, thus the generation that has done more damage to the world on general.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
I agree it is sad to see a business go under. I tend to disagree with the baby boomer somewhat implying that their generation is not the me, me, me generation, when actual it is the me, me, me generation, thus the generation that has done more damage to the world on general.
Possibly growing up kind of poor I personally never had the wherewithal to develop the "me, me, me" attitude. Though quite honestly, I don't see that as much in people my age as in the younger folks I get to meet in this hobby. Maybe it's just blinders.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

As sad as it is, my current situation doesn't really change. I'm very happy with the ESC's and running them both in my F1/Tc. Never thought I'd have it in a F1 as previously it was a SP rev pro. I just hope it lasts me another 2 seasons....
Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey all: I too was a bit surprised when I read this news but as some have said with all the electric motor/battery/esc brands out there most notably Reedy who have expanded their range I'm sure that's taken away some of their market share. I know a lot of drivers use LRP products but most of those are on the pro/semi pro side and get their products either for free or a big discount. Would hate to see another iconic brand go away like Novak did. Thanks...😮
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Errrrr, ok...

In the last couple of days, more like 01-06-2017 LRPO released the new X22 motors...

They talk about: 4x10x4 ABEC-5 bearings...

-So who is lying about LRP closing?

New LRP X22 Modified high-end motors available now! | News | LRP Home
Lying? Nobody. Bankruptcy doesn't automatically mean closing.
racer1812 likes this.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Lrp is still in business. There will be some sort of re-organization. Lrp America just got a large order in and things are getting better with customer service with Joel and the AKA crew on board.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pville Stig
Lrp is still in business. There will be some sort of re-organization. Lrp America just got a large order in and things are getting better with customer service with Joel and the AKA crew on board.
Worst customer service. They seem don't want to reply your email or message. I have sent in the esc for repair. Wait almost two months. Didn't get any feed back. And no one pick up the phone. I hope i can get my esc back soon. And never deal with this company again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.