Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredygump

Futaba 4PV Overkill for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Futaba 4PV Overkill for me?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first surface receiver and I'm trying to decide between the Futaba 3PV and 4PV. I've got $42 dollars of eCash coming in a couple days and have the tower ssc discount.

That takes the 3PV down to $53 bucks for me...
Or the 4PV down to $208.

I'm currently building a Tekno SCT 410.3 and this truck will mostly be for bashing around the house but possibly going to the local tracks every now and then. Is it really worth it for me to go with the 4PV over the 3PV? Or am I going to get everything I would need from the 3PV? What I am getting for the extra $150 dollar difference?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theishkid
Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first surface receiver and I'm trying to decide between the Futaba 3PV and 4PV. I've got $42 dollars of eCash coming in a couple days and have the tower ssc discount.

Or the 4PV down to $208.

I'm currently building a Tekno SCT 410.3 and this truck will mostly be for bashing around the house but possibly going to the local tracks every now and then. Is it really worth it for me to go with the 4PV over the 3PV? Or am I going to get everything I would need from the 3PV? What I am getting for the extra $150 dollar difference?
Well even bashers can make use of the nicer remotes but imo if that will be your only car, it probably isn't worth it to go for the 4pv. But be careful, those few visits to the track can turn into an addiction lol. So if you get hooked on racing, you'll probably wish you got the 4pv.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is there somewhere or someone who can tell me what extra benefit I'll get from the 4PV? I don't mind spending the money as long as the value is there. It's just hard to see that value right now as a beginner.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Is there somewhere or someone who can tell me what extra benefit I'll get from the 4PV? I don't mind spending the money as long as the value is there. It's just hard to see that value right now as a beginner.
Well the interface is better, the ergonomics are better, there are more programming parameters, it can use telemetry logging for practice days, it looks a lot nicer etc. All stuff useful when you're doing a lot of driving
Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you are not going to use any tx adjustments beyond trims, dual rate, epas and maybe expo, go with the 3PV. Nearly everything else in the 4PV is stuff you won't touch no matter how experienced/"good" you are. I can't really tell someone to spend more than twice the price for a backlit display and a somewhat "cooler" look.

I would even recommend the non-telemetry version as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I own both, and the 4PV feels like an all out race radio... The 3PV with telemetry is nice for a beginner, but I recently dropped down from a 4PX to the 3PV, and found that navigating the 4PV to be so much easier than the 3PV. Plus, if you ever got into 5th scale with dual servos, or like a clodbuster with dual esc's, you can't beat the 4PV!!

After owning the PX and the 4PV, I see minimal reason to have a PX unless one has a ton of FASST receivers already.

The 3PV feels like a top of the line radio, on the drivers stand... But once you look down to navigate the menus, it just starts to seem cheap.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'll see if my LHS has either one in stock and go check them out for myself.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

The biggest difference is the 4PV as medium small trigger.
The 3PV has a large trigger. The difference is mostly felt on the brake side.

Most newer drivers have too much brake in the esc, so they get scared to use much brake anyways. This delays the learning curve a little, especially if you run drag brake to hide it.

If you take the time to setup the brakes in the esc, then the 4PV is better for most people. It's really a difference in feel and the only must haves for electric vehicles are D/R (dual rate steering) and end point adjustments that can be set independently for left and right.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I went to the LHS and they had both. I tried them out and really liked the feel of the 4PV more... probably not surprising. It did actually feel like a professional radio. The 3PV felt nice too... definitely much better than the radios that come with RTR's, but not near as nice as the 4PV. I'll have to decide if that's worth the extra.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default 4pv

Nice radio but for me over kill I bought the 3pv
Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

I was in the same boat, and tho the 4pv felt a little better I couldn't justify almost double the price. I run 4 classes with my 3pv and I am very happy with it.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by traumajunkie
I was in the same boat, and tho the 4pv felt a little better I couldn't justify almost double the price. I run 4 classes with my 3pv and I am very happy with it.
I replaced the regular 4 AA battery tray with the futaba rechargeable and it balances the radio making it feel a lot better.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Johnn27
Nice radio but for me over kill I bought the 3pv
No high end radio is overkill, it is an investment. An investment in lifespan, reliabillity and keeping your car in control.
Yes, you probably would not use all functions but it is nice to have, to play with or use it when needed
Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Q

Or the 4PV down to $208.

Technically speaking, a Traxxas TQI does everything I need to make a car go, turn, and stop. But my 4PKs sure is a nice radio!

The best part about the 4pv is how easy it is to change settings. It appears to use the same menu and controls as the flagship 4px. You have more settings, and the settings will be easier to navigate. There are important tuning options that you can do through your radio...that can have a dramatic affect on how a car performs. And you can save these settings for 40 different vehicles!

And the 4pv has telemetry options, if you choose to make use of them.

The second best part about the better quality radios is physical adjustability. The trigger and wheel tension are adjustable, as well as position and throw of the trigger. How far the wheel rotates can be changed depending on your style. (This is true of my 4pks, and I assume is the same for the 4pv...).
theishkid likes this.