Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By anthonyscardina
  • 1 Post By slodsm
  • 2 Post By Eddie_E

Generic/No Name Brushless ESC and Motor

Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Generic/No Name Brushless ESC and Motor

Hello everyone - just wondering if anyone had used those no name/generic brushless ESCs and motors being sold in Amazon?

Thinking of reviving my old TA03. Is it worth saving $50 vs getting the Sidewinder 3 combo from Castle? What other options are there?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Please post in the proper section . Moved to radio and electronics .
Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hobbywing justock combos are under $100
pacogolf888 likes this.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry about that - thanks for moving it
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I used a generic 9 turn motor and sensorless esc for a while, aside from being too hard hitting down low probably due to no sensor, it was reliable, ran cool, and was perfect for an older back up buggy I had in case I broke something on my good buggy and needed something to run at a race.

The esc is still in service in my youngest daughters tlr 22b 2.0 with a fantom 17.5 and runs like a top.
pacogolf888 likes this.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a 3650 4Poles 5200KV Brushless Sensorless Motor and a 60A Sensorless Brushless ESC Speed Controller.

Total cost = $47 CAD ($35 USD)

Worst part is waiting... may not get them until end of June.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have had a lot of experience with the t-rex no name blue 120a escs found on ebay for $20. They are legitimate copies of Hobbywing escs. The build is meh and you may find one out of 5 DOA. They hold up well and are worth it.

The downside is they use light gauge wire, cheap switches, questionable soldering at times and they do not have the margin of abuse found in better equipment. Still they are a good bargain.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kenmtb
I have had a lot of experience with the t-rex no name blue 120a escs found on ebay for $20. They are legitimate copies of Hobbywing escs. The build is meh and you may find one out of 5 DOA. They hold up well and are worth it.

The downside is they use light gauge wire, cheap switches, questionable soldering at times and they do not have the margin of abuse found in better equipment. Still they are a good bargain.

Wish I saw this post before I ordered from Amazon. Wouldn't mind paying a few $ more for a better product.

I just didn't want to spend to go crazy as it's just gonna be another car for my daughter to play along.

Will start her off with the tin can before installing the brushless motor.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Regional Moderator

A friend bought one of those hobbywing v2.1 120A knockoff for 25 bucks and ran it for a few days, then it went up in smoke. Ive also seem posts where people have relatively good success with them.

You get what you paid, its hit or miss. If your lucky enough it would run perfectly fine, if not they are cheap enough to replace.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

You are always better off buying name brand, because no matter where they are, there is a chance that you will get product support!

Trying to save a buck or two on the front end only hurts you in the long run. Just like people buying no name LiPo battery packs, then asking for advice when they no longer charge or perform.

But Name brand = Buy once!

Hobbywing has great products and are so cheap (1/8 scale stuff). I overpaid for Orion, LRP and Novak.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kenmtb

I bought 2 of the Trex 120A esc's to get a couple of my old cars running as loaners for my friends who just want to try it.

Mine ran fine and my real Hobbywing LCD box works with them. My feeling after running one in my B5M lite is that they have way more resistance than a genuine Hobbywing.

The Trex has less punch and it's really noticeable with a 17.5 motor. The real XR10 Juststock is way faster when both esc's have the punch level set to 9. Based on performance, I would guess the Trex is more like a 45A unit with a 120A sticker. The Juststock is the far better value if you are running a 17.5 or a 13.5 in a 2wd.

I am running the SMC RF170 in my mod B6 buggy and it and the RF120 at around $100 are way better than all of the others mentioned above. I can run 10 min. with a mod motor and the esc comes off the track at room temperature and the throttle response is a whole world better and the resolution is really good, maybe even better than the Tekin RS that I used to run for many years.
pacogolf888 and kenmtb like this.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah good points. It has been so long since I have had a "quality" I probably forgot what the full potential of my motors could be. I guess if you have lower turn motors, they seem to do pretty well for the price.